Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New suspension questions...

Old 11-03-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
TacomaAroma is on a distinguished road
TacomaAroma's Tacoma Gallery
New suspension questions...

Damn you all! You got me hooked!

Now I got that out of the way, I am lifting my new 2011 Taco and have some questions along the way. Might I point out I am a total rookie. The only work I have ever done on a vehicle is a fuel pump replacement, and regular maintenance, oil, plugs etc. So I am doing my research, and compiling the knowledge I need. Along with this I have a few questions.

I heard it was a good idea to do a 1'' body lift with a 2'' suspension lift for the desired 3'' lift in order to keep suspension and steering geometry closer to stock. Wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this?

Provided I go with the suspension/body lift combo, I would be using a full set of bilstein 5100 giving me 2'' front 1'' rear followed with a 1'' body lift. Then add a 1'' leveling kit to the rear. Anyone see any issues with this plan? Should I be installing a leaf instead?

Still haven't figured out if I am going to be installing myself or not. I would like to for the project, and to save a few bucks though.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
The only geometry issues you may end up with with a 3" suspension lift is that your caster may be out of whack unless you buy new upper control arms (UCA's). Some do, some don't.

I'm not a big fan of body lifts, so my suggestion would be for you to just set the billy's at 2.5" up front, and to use an add-a-leaf for the back.

The "leveling kit" you're talking about for the back is actually called a "block". Blocks are known to promote axle wrap. The leaf is a better route to go.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
^^ That ^^
Old 11-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
I am not a fan of body lifts, but a 1" is not too bad. If you are planning on running 5100s, the fronts will provide 2.5" of lift. Then to match that out back, I would suggest getting an AAL of 1.5" lift.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
I am not a fan of body lifts, but a 1" is not too bad. If you are planning on running 5100s, the fronts will provide 2.5" of lift. Then to match that out back, I would suggest getting an AAL of 1.5" lift.
AAL? told ya in a rookie =)
Old 11-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Add-a-leaf.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaAroma View Post
AAL? told ya in a rookie =)
It's short for add-a-leaf. It adds another leaf to your rear leaf spring pack, and gives you lift.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
CUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of light

CUtigerfan's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like a PITA (pain in the ass) you said your a rookie so i'm not taking chances to put a 1" body lift on. You would have to come up with some sort of bracket for both of the bumpers and might need an extension on other parts (fuel filler line into gas tank, steering extension, shifter extension, etc.) You won't find a guy on here who would recommend a body lift.. they've all been converted. The bilsteins set to 2.5" seem like your best option unless you have a decent sized budget to buy Upper Control Arms and Coilovers. Most guys will advise against the block too. Cheap ones crack and break. The add-a-leaf will also solve the weight capacity if they didn't fix that for the 2011.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtigerfan View Post
Seems like a PITA (pain in the ass) you said your a rookie so i'm not taking chances to put a 1" body lift on. You would have to come up with some sort of bracket for both of the bumpers and might need an extension on other parts (fuel filler line into gas tank, steering extension, shifter extension, etc.) You won't find a guy on here who would recommend a body lift.. they've all been converted. The bilsteins set to 2.5" seem like your best option unless you have a decent sized budget to buy Upper Control Arms and Coilovers. Most guys will advise against the block too. Cheap ones crack and break. The add-a-leaf will also solve the weight capacity if they didn't fix that for the 2011.
Well I'm convinced... Im going with suspension only balistine 1500's 2.5'' front 1'' rear and AAL... And will be installing myself. Will post progressions pics and questions along the way. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaAroma View Post
Well I'm convinced... Im going with suspension only balistine 1500's 2.5'' front 1'' rear and AAL... And will be installing myself. Will post progressions pics and questions along the way. Thanks!
Do you mean the 2.5 billys up front and 1.5" AAL for the rear?

Definately get a friend to help you with the install. An impact gun saves a bunch of time too.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Do you mean the 2.5 billys up front and 1.5" AAL for the rear?

Definately get a friend to help you with the install. An impact gun saves a bunch of time too.
Aye... 1.5'' AAL