Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Icon's or 5100's to level

Old 11-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
willimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to behold

Name: Will
willimatic's Tacoma Gallery
Icon's or 5100's to level

Hello,

I plan to level the truck out, keep as much as I can stock in the process. So I was going to get 5100's for the front (set to 1.75, unless .08 is better for leveling), and then I'm still undecided on 5100's or 5125's for rear. I don't really know what Im confused about other than people keep saying go for 5100's for rear, go for 5125's for rear.

But, now I am wondering if its worth the money to put icon coilovers on the front to level it out? I realize it is a lot more money, but is it really that much better?

I do all street driving, mountain driving, just want a level truck and better ride, not as much body roll etc.

Opinions and thoughts?

Thanks,
Old 11-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
If you have money to blow. Then yeah, get the ICONs, they are sweet. If not, the 5100s are a really great shock. As far as the 5100 vs 5125 thing. Well, man am I getting tired of explaining it. Just get the ones you feel more comfortable about purchasing.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
If you have money to blow. Then yeah, get the ICONs, they are sweet. If not, the 5100s are a really great shock. As far as the 5100 vs 5125 thing. Well, man am I getting tired of explaining it. Just get the ones you feel more comfortable about purchasing.
What He said ^^^

The Icons are going to be better at controling body roll, as they are digresivley dampened. The 5100's vs. 5125's....teh 5125's can be ordered different lengths, while the 5100's are an OE replacement and for rear lift up to 2".
Old 11-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking the Icons are complete overkill for what you're wanting to do.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
phidauex is a glorious beacon of lightphidauex is a glorious beacon of lightphidauex is a glorious beacon of lightphidauex is a glorious beacon of lightphidauex is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Sam
phidauex's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with Dan - however, one option that levels the playing field slightly is finding a good used set of coilovers, like Icons, Sway Aways or Kings. I recently got a set of new (but sat around for a few years) Icon/Donoahoes for $550, which sealed the deal for me (had the same dilemma as you).

If just leveling out the truck is what you want, 5100s will be fine and ride well. The coilovers are great for dialing in the height, being rebuildable, and offering tight handling, but they do just cost more.

-Sam