Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Stock Supension Measurement 2nd Gen.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Stock Supension Measurement 2nd Gen.

Stock/unmodified-suspension 2nd gen Tacoma owners, please post your suspension measurements and year/mileage of your truck. Please measure from the center of your wheel, straight up to the bottom edge of your fender; preferably at all 4 corners. Also list if you have any heavy accessories: winch, full tool-box, etc. Most likely your drivers front will be the shortes measurement: Taco lean.

Since most of us seem to lift our rigs without first measurnig the stock height we end up not knowing exactly how much our lift gave us. We can go to the dealer and measure a new one, but those springs haven't necessarily settled yet and could make for ann innacurate comparison.

The reason I ask for the year/mileage is so we can account for settling of springs. This could also be useful for stock-Taco-owners with higher mileages to determine if it's time for new springs.

Ultimately, after we get a bunch on here I will find the average stock ride height and we can just start using that as a refrence for our lift height.

I'm guessing the stock height is between 20" and 21" in front and 22-23 in the rear, but let's find out.

Like this example:

2005, 100k miles, winch on front
DF20" PF20"
DR22" PR22"

Thanks in advance to those willing to participate.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I would love to but my measurements are crap. I would love to have some accurate ones though.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Here are my numbers:

DF: 35.125" PF: 35.5"
DR: 37" PR: 37.25"

Edit to add the following:

DF: 20.5" PF: 20.5"
DR: 21.625" PR: 21.75"

Couple of notes:

- Gas tank is almost full.
- Toolbox is heavier on driver side, probably 70 lb.
- Shocks are 5100's all around. Fronts set to 0" lift using stick coils.
- I have factory-installed AAL with overload leaf (3 leaves + overload leaf).
- Truck has 81880 km on it.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
All's I have is from the ground through the hub to the weel arch. Front was 34 3/4" on drivers side, 35" on the passenger side. Back was 37" for both.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Good so far, thanks guys!

Just to make this a bit easier, if you can measure from the center of the hub up to the fender-edge it helps to cut out variables like: tire size, tread wear, and tire-psi.

Great start, thanks
Old 11-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #6

Bump. c'mon, I know you just had your 2nd turkey sandwich and need an excuse to dip out on the family for a min. Let s get a few more measurements.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
SadManGrin is on a distinguished road

SadManGrin's Tacoma Gallery
Stock Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Stock/unmodified-suspension 2nd gen Tacoma owners, please post your suspension measurements and year/mileage of your truck. Please measure from the center of your wheel, straight up to the bottom edge of your fender; preferably at all 4 corners. Also list if you have any heavy accessories: winch, full tool-box, etc. Most likely your drivers front will be the shortes measurement: Taco lean.

Since most of us seem to lift our rigs without first measurnig the stock height we end up not knowing exactly how much our lift gave us. We can go to the dealer and measure a new one, but those springs haven't necessarily settled yet and could make for ann innacurate comparison.

The reason I ask for the year/mileage is so we can account for settling of springs. This could also be useful for stock-Taco-owners with higher mileages to determine if it's time for new springs.

Ultimately, after we get a bunch on here I will find the average stock ride height and we can just start using that as a refrence for our lift height.

I'm guessing the stock height is between 20" and 21" in front and 22-23 in the rear, but let's find out.

Like this example:

2005, 100k miles, winch on front
DF20" PF20"
DR22" PR22"

Thanks in advance to those willing to participate.
46 miles on the odometer
stock, no TSB
empty cabin, empty bed
full tank of gas

Driver Front 20'' Passenger Front 20''
Driver Rear 21 3/4'' Passenger Front 22''

I took measurements from the center of the centercaps to the bottom edge/bend of the fender three times.
I'm not sure how much it'll settle or break in; if it does, I'll find out.
One of these days I'll get around to a spindle lift with 285s, but for now, stock height is good.
Regards.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
NVD ,

Front driver's 20 "
Front passenger's 20 1/2"
Rear driver's 21 1/2"
Rear passenger's 21 1/2"

38 000 kms
1/4 tank of fuel

Note : I have the 4 leaf ( TSB ) rear , but they have settled due to carrying a heavy toolbox and lumber . Also the truck has 2 feet of snow in the box right now .
Old 12-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
HarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
HarryTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Bone stock.

Driver front 20.5
Passenger front 20.5
Driver rear 21.25
Passenger rear 21.25
Old 12-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
Intentionally cosmetically incorrect.
TacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
TacoBow's Tacoma Gallery
Ok then...

Well, I've got old numbers, but can't give you the hub center to wheel opening since the truck is currently on jack stands awaiting the stock rims return from the powdercoater.

These measurements were taken with the truck on level ground, taped from the rim bead, straight up through the center of the hub, to the inside edge of the wheel opening;

2006 V6 TRD Access Cab 4x4
52,000 miles on the clock
Bone stock, no rear spring TSB
Cab vacant, bed empty
3/4 tank of gasoline

Driver Front 28.5''
Passenger Front 29''
Driver Rear 30.5''
Passenger Rear 31''

I've measured other ways in the past, (from the ground and from the center of the rim to the fender flare), but found this method the most repeatable.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:51 AM   #11
Skunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Skunkman's Tacoma Gallery
I just measured mine yesterday, before it went to the shop for a lift install. It is stock, with 245-75-16 tires that are new. The rear from the ground to the bottom of the flare is 34 ",this is with about 500 pounds in the rear. The fronts were just a little higher, at 34.5" on both sides. We are supposed to get the truck back today and will re-measure for the difference before and after. It is getting the Toytec AAL in the rear with 5100's and a set of TRD Off Road coils in the front with the 5100's set on 2.5"
Old 12-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #12
fatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shedfatty ac1d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
fatty ac1d's Tacoma Gallery
Driver Front: 20 1/4
Passenger Front: 20 3/4
Driver Rear: 22
Passenger Rear: 22

38500 miles
1/4 tank of gas
Bed empty
Stock suspension
2006 Double Cab TRD Off Road