Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

need reccomendation for a good extended shock (1st gen)

Old 11-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
need reccomendation for a good extended shock (1st gen)

okay, i am almost done with my taco build and just have to find tires, replace a clock spring bud built belly pan, and shocks. I took off the old OE ones in the rear because they were maxed out at ride height, i bought some big black cocks from poly performance and behold at 15 inches they are too big, they are the same size as my front ones but they have no uptravel. im wondering what most of you guys would reccomend for the rear of a truck with an aproximate of 5 inches of lift. I have Bilstein 5125's in the front but cant find any in the same size for a decent price atleast not in the size i need according to 4wp.

so what would yall reccomend? if yall are vendors or have a link to where yall got them post it im so excited to get the taco back in service
Old 11-08-2010, 04:01 AM   #2
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
morning bump?
Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
bump bump bump bum bump
Old 11-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
so no reccomendations?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like you need to figure out exactly how much shock travel you have on each side. Saying you have about 5" of lift does not tell the whole picture.

When the suspension is fully extended, what is the exact distance between the top shock mount and the bottom shock mount? How does that compare to when the suspension if full compressed? If you do these two measurements, you'll be able to calculate the third set of info you need. The difference between the two (extended and compressed) measurements will tell you the total travel.

Now you need to do the same measurements on the other side becasue they will not be the same. Here is a great article that describes all this much better than I can.

http://www.bajataco.com/travel-measurement.html

Once you have the 6 sets of numbers you can order the shocks you need from someplace like DownSouth Motersports.