1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Springs vs Adjustable springs

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by extremachn1, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Nov 8, 2010 at 12:36 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Hey all~
    I have been lurking here for a while, done a bunch of readings, seraches, etc so please dont flame me for a question I know you have been askd 1000 times before. I just couldnt find the exact awnser I wanted.

Currently sitting in my garage I have a set of billy 5100's and a Toytec 1.5" AAL for the toyota TSB leaf spring pack and a white 2010 TRD sprt DC SB 4x4 6spd.

Originally my plan was to set the billy's at 2.25" and throw the leaf springs in. Recently I have been thinking (been on business travel so I have plenty of time to think and dream) about going a differant way.
    I am thinking of going with Eibach springs up front with the billy's set at .85 to get that 2.5" of lift up front. What I want to know is what is the major differance betweek just going with the standard Eibach/Toytec springs and going with the more expensive adjustable springs ?

I dont do much hard core offroading although I do do some. The springs only, they jsut go in the stock spring location, nothing more to really add? What are the benefits (if any) to going with the adjustable set up? Would you reccomend going with the drop dif kit for this? I am running the full supercharger/intake/header/exhaust grouping on this so I know any sort of wobble or shimmy will come apart that much quicker. I am not planning on getting the UCA's unless I cant get my alignement within spec.

Anything you guys can pass on would be great. Thanks for everyones help. Cheers.

2. Nov 8, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    Fabulous

Fabulous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    I have the 5100's with the eibach spring, and it works great. I think the benefit with the more expensive ones is the adjustability. If you don't think you'll ever adjust them, then just go with the 5100/ eibachs. Mine rides a lot better than the stock set up, and I got just a smidge over 2.5" of lift. I didn't add a diff drop kit, and I don't think I will. I looked under my truck and none of the folds in the boot are even touching. I think at 3" you would want to get it, but 2.5" is just fine. Only thing I got was a tiny bit of vibe off the line, which I hope will go away with the back settling, or with a carrier bearing drop which is $11. Pic's in my gallery.

3. Nov 8, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    The short answer is that you can adjust the "coilovers" on the truck after they've settled or if over time you start to develop a left/right lean. You still need to do an alignment after making this change.

5100s are adjustable in larger steps (0, 0.85, 1.75, 2.5) and can only be adjusted if you remove the strut and use a spring compressor.

4. Nov 8, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Yea, I know how the 5100's work. Thanks for the good info. I dont think the extra $200 are worth the adjustability since i will never use it. I can jsut get a 1/4 inch top plate or something if i get much sag. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I am going to go with the eibach springs, the non adjustable ones.

5. Nov 8, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    Fabulous

Fabulous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    Good choice my friend. I also added the 1/4" spacer for the lean to mine...it now has no lean at all.

Products Discussed in

To Top