1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Eibach/5100 & AAL - CB drop kit?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Tacomafinally, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Nov 8, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    Tacomafinally

Tacomafinally [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4x4
    Truck is sold
    Firstly, I understand there are thousands of vibes threads, but none pertaining to the Eibach lift.

So, I just got back from getting my lift installed and freaking love the look and driveability with the upgrade. I went with the Eibach springs, 5100's at .85, 1/4 top spacer on drivers side, and 2" AAL for the rear. Of course there are some new vibes now, the take off vibe has been exacerbated and a new vibe around 15-25 is present with slight vibes 65+. Sounds like I need a CB drop bracket huh?

Anyone else that has gone this route and had vibes. Did a CB drop bracket do the trick? How about a diff drop for safe measures?

I'll have pictures up of the lift later.

2. Nov 8, 2010 at 1:39 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    i have the same setup on my 02 and I have vibes I did the Diff drop and I'm getting the CB drop soon.

3. Nov 8, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    Fabulous

Fabulous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    Hey, were lift brothers! I have the same set up, and seems like the same vibes. I have the take off one, and the more I drive it, the less it is. Maybe from settling?!

4. Nov 8, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    Tacomafinally

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4x4
    Truck is sold
    hahha, yes we are. To tell you the truth I was going to do just the 5100's and AAL, but then saw a few of your posts talking about the ride quality of the Eibach's and your posts sold me....so thank you!!

Do you have the CB drop done with your setup?

5. Nov 9, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    No, I don't as of right now. I have a small bit of take off vibe that I'm hoping will go away after I have 200 lbs of sand bags in the back all winter. My 2" AAL actually gave me 2.25" of lift, even 2 months after install. When I have my trailer with dirt bikes hitched up it lessens it, so I'm hoping that it still needs to settle a bit, and will go away. If not then I will buy a Beefed Taco CB drop (when they are available).

6. Nov 11, 2010 at 11:49 AM
    Tacomafinally

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4x4
    Truck is sold
    I went back to the shop that installed the lift and asked that they install some shims to help with the vibrations, they agreed so i brought it in. 20 minutes later I'm told that they did a carrier bearing drop for me and now the driveline is perfectly straight and the vibes are coming from the front end. The owner says my vibes are due to not having a diff drop installed and that he can have one for me next Monday. My question is: can the cv angles give off vibrations? My CVs don't look too bad when I looked at them the other day. I took a pic of the CVs but had problems posting it. I'll try again tonight.

Another potential candidate for the vibe is the alignment. They could only get my caster to 1.1 on both sides. I don't know how hard they tried to get more out of it or what, but could the low caster be putting out the vibes I'm feeling?

7. Nov 11, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    I'm curious about that as well. I went and tied string to the very front, and back of the drive shafts, and the difference can't be more than 3/8" to make it completly flat. I ordered a OME CB drop kit and hope it helps. I also wonder if the vibe could be from the alignment?! My caster is at 2.0 though, which is what it was before the lift. I was thinking about a beefed taco CB drop, but it drops it 1-5/8" which would again make the shaft angled, but the other way?! I guess I'll wait until I install my CB drop, and report back.

8. Nov 11, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    Tacomafinally

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4x4
    Truck is sold
    Yeah, make sure you report back on the CB drop, i'm very interested. I'm calling the shop now to see if they can NOT to do a half-ass job on the alignment and get the caster more into spec. When I go in, I'll ask that they do the alignment first and then test for vibes, if they are still present I'll have the diff drop installed. This will be next Monday so hopefully between the two of us we can figure this out.

9. Nov 11, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Might be a bit longer for me. I suspect the shipping of the CB drop to Canada will take at least a week. I ordered it yesterday. Let me know if an alignment (a good one) makes a difference for you. Mine is good after the second adjustment, but I suspect it could be better, that is why I'm curious. My vibe is not bad at all (wife can't even feel it, thinks I'm nuts) but I'm really anal about these types of things, and I want it perfect. My truck had a bit of take off shudder when I got it, and it seems to just be a bit more of it off the line, as well as a tiny, tiny bit at about 25 mph (40 km/h) that I've noticed since it's gotten colder here...about 30 F now (0 C) I've checked everything up front like the CV's, and shafts and nothing is loose, and when I put it in 4x4 it doesn't change so I'm certain it pertains to the rear of the truck.

10. Nov 15, 2010 at 11:14 PM
    Tacomafinally

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4x4
    Truck is sold
    Went in today for the diff drop and it did NOT cure the vibe at all. The shop uses a lasor aligment machine and told me that they could not get the camber better then 1.2. I need to find another alignment shop that can dial that shit in better. I was then told that he thinks it's the tires....I'm not buying that at all, it seems that the guy is just done trying to find an answer to my problem. My thought is a larger CB drop and/or shims again.

It wasn't a complete failure today, I did however get my front windows tinted to 35%...looks good.

11. Nov 15, 2010 at 11:22 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  12. Nov 16, 2010 at 1:03 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    Not sure this helps, but here is my install-

I had a suspension tech at my Toyota dealer install my eibach coils and 5100's x4. I had the front 5100s set at zero. I had the 1/4" spacer installed for the "taco lean" caused by fuel, battery and driver weight.

I also had a 1.5" Toytec AAL installed. I had the 4 wheel alignment done. I am running 265/75/16 Michelin MS2's. Like you I like the ride and the stance.

I am not having any of the vibration issues you mention above.
    I have not done the diff drop nor felt the need to do so.

Could your vib issue be tires? balancing? alignment?

For what its worth....

13. Nov 16, 2010 at 3:22 AM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    I have the same lift as you do except a 1.5 AAL and when I had the coils installed and left the shop I had picked up a vib. The tech drove it and said he thought it was a tire....was fine before the lift. We'll just for kicks I had the tires rebalanced and rotated and that was it. I have no vibes from 0-on

14. Nov 16, 2010 at 7:25 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    Cool....glad it worked out from another member that has the same lift as I do. Honestly thats why I kept my front billies at zero. The higher you go the more issues you have it appears.

15. Nov 16, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
  16. Nov 16, 2010 at 11:06 PM
    Tacomafinally

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4x4
    Truck is sold
    Thanks for the link; I've been thinking about the Beefed drop this past week. I'm almost positive that my tires are not the issue since I had minimal vibes in prior to the lift. I may dink around with some washers this weekend to see if I can lessen the vibes; if they work I'll probably opt for the beefed drop.

I just drove from Portland to Eugene today with my manager riding shotgun and felt like an ass for having such a rickety truck....need to get this fixed!!

17. Nov 16, 2010 at 11:34 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    If your still under the powertrain warranty, there is a TSB for vibes around 25mph. It replaces the tranny mount and I had it done and it solved my problem even though the vibes were on take off. And the vibes were present when I got the truck and it was stock.

18. Nov 17, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    Tacomafinally

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4x4
    Truck is sold
    This is a good idea, however I'm sure if I go in to the dealership with an aftermarket suspension, they'll quickly blame the vibes on the lift components not the mount.

19. Nov 18, 2010 at 7:27 AM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    I think they would have to prove that the suspension is causing it, no? I don't think they can just refuse you...

20. Nov 23, 2010 at 11:48 PM
    Tacomafinally

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4x4
    Truck is sold
    Hey Fab, any luck on getting rid of your vibe?

My game plan is to wait one more week and wait for my suspension to settle a little and then take it to a different shop to start testing shims to try and find the sweet spot. I'll need to take it to get a new alignment as well to try to get closer to 2 on the caster.

As far as alignment types, which has greater flexability in getting propper alignment? The first shop I went to used lazers and swore that was the best they could do; should I be looking for a certain machine during my search?

Products Discussed in

To Top