Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Should I spend the money on Racerunner rear shocks or not

Old 11-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
cr250mw2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
cr250mw2's Tacoma Gallery
Should I spend the money on Racerunner rear shocks or not

I have a set of swayaway 2.0 coilovers for the front and 2" blocks for the rear I am wondering if I should spend the $380 for the swayaway 2.25 rear shocks or just get the bilstien 5100s for $160.Will I notice the differance in the ride?I do like to camp and fish but I don't really do any major off roading in this truck.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr250mw2 View Post
I have a set of swayaway 2.0 coilovers for the front and 2" blocks for the rear I am wondering if I should spend the $380 for the swayaway 2.25 rear shocks or just get the bilstien 5100s for $160.Will I notice the differance in the ride?I do like to camp and fish but I don't really do any major off roading in this truck.
Ahh, double-poster! Ha, just kidding; watch out the thread nazis will eat you alive for doubeups.

But you gave some better info here: definitely save your money and get the Bils. throw the other $200 into fishing gear.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
phidauex is a glorious beacon of lightphidauex is a glorious beacon of lightphidauex is a glorious beacon of lightphidauex is a glorious beacon of lightphidauex is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Sam
phidauex's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed - the fancier rear shocks are really only useful if you've got a really nice longer travel rear suspension - which blocks ain't.

The 5100s are a great shock, and reasonably priced - you don't get much, if any, benefit from the more expensive shocks as long as you are still in the 0"-3" lift range on a normal truck.

-Sam
Old 11-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phidauex View Post
Agreed - the fancier rear shocks are really only useful if you've got a really nice longer travel rear suspension - which blocks ain't.

The 5100s are a great shock, and reasonably priced - you don't get much, if any, benefit from the more expensive shocks as long as you are still in the 0"-3" lift range on a normal truck.

-Sam
Kinda true. There are 2 main benefits:

1. Higher quality shocks won't 'fade' on extended or high-speed excursions; the heat dissipation etc. will allow the shock to perfrom well for say 6 straight hours in the bumps, whereas the med quality potentially overheat and lose it's ability to dampen ove a couple of hours.

2. Higher quality are rebuildable: the SAWs and the 5100's will probably wear out at the same time, but the SAWs can be rebuilt for $40 whereas the 5100s will have to be replaced for $100+. (but factor the up front cost of the SAWs and it's a toss up over the life of a truck which is more cost effective)

I do agree that for the average Taco owner the 5100s are more than adequate. Plus if one was not so inclined to rebuild their own shocks it would cost extra time and money making the SAWS real expensive. They are overkill for me 90% of the time, but I love 'em when I get going on trails.

As for the other post, I would not call the SAWs "ridgid", they provide a firmer ride for sure, but it's a good firmness and helps keep the rig from bouncing around... The valving doesn't do much for the ride on the street, but they are impressive on trails.