Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Spindle would this setup work?

Old 11-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
FixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
FixedTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Spindle would this setup work?

I almost saved enough for spindle my question is would my wheel setup work with it. I have been reading some post where the wheel setup would not work. I have atx artillery 17x9 -12mm offset tires are going to be hankook MT 285/70/17 which is going to get mounted this week. I want to make sure they will clear before I order the spindle.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzimm001 View Post
What is 12mm offset? Maybe I don't understand metric offsets but I believe 4.5" offset is needed to clear spindles.
Maybe you are reffering to backspacing at 4.5.
Backspacing and off set are two seperate things. Offset is the bolthole flange in relation to the center of the wheel. Backspacing is the bolt hole flange measured from the lip of the backside of the rim to the bolt hole flange.
For instance. If a rim is 10 inches wide and the bolt hole flange is directly in the center of the rim then it should be 0 offset with 5 inches of backspacing.
Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I got tripped up in the terminology. I guess you would say my rims have a 4.5" "backspacing". So to the OP, a 17x9 with 0 offset would be 4.50" back spacing. Now if there's a 12mm offset I think that would mean you have closer to 5" of backspacing. That's cutting it close...

hmm I'm not sure if that sounds right but I know the higher the number the closer the tire will be to your spindle. Can't explain any better unfortunately.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:58 AM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzimm001 View Post
I guess I got tripped up in the terminology. I guess you would say my rims have a 4.5" "backspacing". So to the OP, a 17x9 with 0 offset would be 4.50" back spacing. Now if there's a 12mm offset I think that would mean you have closer to 5" of backspacing. That's cutting it close...

hmm I'm not sure if that sounds right but I know the higher the number the closer the tire will be to your spindle. Can't explain any better unfortunately.
A 9" rim with 0 offset is 5" backspaced.

A 9" rim with -12 offset is 4.5" backspaced.

See conversion chart on this page.
https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

OP, you want the 4.5" backspacing for your application.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
FixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
FixedTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
A 9" rim with 0 offset is 5" backspaced.

See conversion chart on this page.
https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

OP, you want the 4.5" backspacing for your application.

Sorry for the confusion but I was referring to this.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Mod'n on a Budget
1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
1BlkT's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running a 17x8.5 with 4.75'' backspacing it's a little tighter than when I had 17x9 with 4.5'' backspacing but I don't have any problems.