Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Super rookie questions about installing 5100's

Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Super rookie questions about installing 5100's

EDIT: additional question[s] added... scroll down several posts below:

I pretty much don't know jack about wrenching, so don't laugh too hard at me here ...trying to install my rear 5100's which I thought would take all of 10 minutes but so far it's not turning out that way. I have 2 questions:

1- How do I squeeze the lower rubber bushing that surrounds the shock eyelett in between the lower shock mount brackets without bitching up the rubber? Should I just pound the bottom of the shock with a mallet and "make it fit" in between the brackets?

2- How do I prevent the stanchion rod from spinning when I tighten the nut down on the top of the shock?

THanks for any tips...
Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
^what he said
Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
Doh. How did I not see that hex slot in the end

So what about my first Q about the lower shock eyelett. Should I just pound the sucker into the bracket? I started to force it in there but the rubber on the bushing was getting pretty f'd.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
You should be able to work the bottom mount in first. If that doesn't work a rubber mallet will be fine
Old 11-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #6

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. Got em all installed. Only took me an hour and a half to do what should have taken 10 minutes

p.s., If you thought these were dumb questions, just wait til I get around to installing the fronts, hohhh boy.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
You should be able to work the bottom mount in first. If that doesn't work a rubber mallet will be fine
What he said... just don't go wailing on it with a 10 pound sledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
Thanks guys. Got em all installed. Only took me an hour and a half to do what should have taken 10 minutes

p.s., If you thought these were dumb questions, just wait til I get around to installing the fronts, hohhh boy.
No such thing as a dumb question... only smartass answers
Old 11-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #8

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Another question:

Are the washer/bushing kits the same for the front and rear 5100's (interchangeable) or are they totally different? I need the bushing kit for my fronts and really would like to install my fronts tomorrow. Could I just use the bushings that were included with my rear shocks for the front and temporarily use old bushings for my rear shocks? (it would be easier to replace bushings on the rear shocks than it would be on front struts once installed).

My guess from looking at the pic of the bushing kit on the toytec site is that they are different for front and rear, but just wanted to check with y'all to make sure (wishful thinking -- trying really hard to rationalize my way into installing my fronts tomorrow
Old 11-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #9

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know if the front and rear 5100 washers/bushings are the same? Anyone? Anyone?
Old 11-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
on the top of my 1500 the shock boot came off..how do i put it back on..its a super tight fit