Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

stop tire from spinning while jacked>??

Old 11-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
cgilbane will become famous soon enoughcgilbane will become famous soon enough
Name: Chris
cgilbane's Tacoma Gallery
stop tire from spinning while jacked>??

Im removing my CV axle now and having one issue (so far).

Im attempting to remove the brake rotor from the axle, and there is a 35 mm not holding it on.

How do I get the front rotor, to stop spinning so I can get some force to pry the nut off?

Keep in mind only time ive jacked up a car ive taken a tire off and put it back on, first time taking off the rotor.
im on step three of this guide:
http://www.atarmor.com/writeups/cvwriteup.htm
Old 11-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
press on the brake pedal. you can use something heavy or have someone help you out.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
copernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the rough

copernicus's Tacoma Gallery
Those nuts shouldn't be super tight, when I did them on my old explorer I just spun the rotor in the opposite direction, then did a quick "snap" to loosen the nut.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
jusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nice
jusmac's Tacoma Gallery
put it in 4 wheel drive before you jack it up.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
axle hub nut torque 173ft lbs
Old 11-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
x2 put it in 4x4
Old 11-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i dont think puting it in 4wd with 173ft lbs of torque is going to help
Old 11-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #8

the only way you may be getting that off maybe with a air gun
Old 11-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
jusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nice
jusmac's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 and in gear, and it wont spin
Old 11-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
this thing is impossible to get off, anyone have advice?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmac View Post
4x4 and in gear, and it wont spin
give this a try^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ keep us posted
good luck
Old 11-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilbane View Post
this thing is impossible to get off, anyone have advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tarantino View Post
the only way you may be getting that off maybe with a air gun
Also try penetrating oil and a cheater bar on the wrench (basically a pipe 2 - 3 ft long to slip over the wrench) if you do not have access to an air gun.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tarantino View Post
give this a try^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ keep us posted
good luck
so should I put it in 4x4, then drive and engage it? Or put it in while it is jacked?
(prolly engage it but i wanna make sure.)
Old 11-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so should I put it in 4x4, then drive and engage it? Or put it in while it is jacked?
Put it in 4x4 and put the transmission in gear. You shouldn't even have to start the engine, just turn the key to "ON".

I still say just put the brakes on...
Old 11-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #15
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
it shouldnt be excessively tight

i use a large screwdriver or something in the lugs and pull in the opposite direction of how im spinning the nut

ive never had an issue
Old 11-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #16
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Roll forward and backward(straight) to engage 4x4. Then jack up only the tire your are working on. I have done this and it works.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #17
okay got the wheel to stop spinning. (just put the car in 4x4 while jacked up and it did not spin anymore.)

I STILL CANT GET THE NUT OFF!!!! no stores carry 35mm so I need to buy it online. Gonna have a get an air gun, or a 3 foot breaker bar to make this work.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #18

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
okay got the wheel to stop spinning. (just put the car in 4x4 while jacked up and it did not spin anymore.)

I STILL CANT GET THE NUT OFF!!!! no stores carry 35mm so I need to buy it online. Gonna have a get an air gun, or a 3 foot breaker bar to make this work.
Hit it with penetrating oil a few hours before and get a 4' metal pipe to slip over the end of your wrench or socket. Cheaper than a breaker bar and longer for more leverage. Also, someone else will have to chime in on this, sometimes in applications like this the threads are reversed so the nut can't back off with the forward motion of the axle. Anyone know if Toyota does this? I doubt it but I came across that once and I was f'n pissed once I finally figured it out...