Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

6" lift to much?

Old 11-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
yoat will become famous soon enough
Coast Guard: Jack of all trades, Master of none
yoat's Tacoma Gallery
6" lift to much?

Do yall think 6" is to much for a regular cab? I would run 35's, let me know either way.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
What are you trying to accomplish? What are you going to do with the truck? Is it just for looks? mud? rocks? snow?

I personally think that 6" lifts are too much and DB lifts not worth it, but it really depends on your goals.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
Personal preferance, but I think the 4.5/5" RCD lift looks great on any truck.
I think that is a 4x4 lift kit, if you are a Pre-Runner, look into some Spindles. These will both give you a great ride. You can combine the Spindles with aftermarket Coilovers like Fox, Kings, Icon, etc...
Old 11-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
yoat's Tacoma Gallery
Its a 4x4, I would have to say mostly for trails and climbing the occasional obstacle. Where I am stationed right now doesnt offer much wheeling so there really is no need to do a bumper and winch right now, figure build its suspension up while I am here. I am shooting to land in NC after this tour is up in a year and ahalf, so hopefully get to use it on some real challenges. ALso would probably hit the mud hole every now and again.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoat View Post
Its a 4x4, I would have to say mostly for trails and climbing the occasional obstacle. Where I am stationed right now doesnt offer much wheeling so there really is no need to do a bumper and winch right now, figure build its suspension up while I am here. I am shooting to land in NC after this tour is up in a year and ahalf, so hopefully get to use it on some real challenges. ALso would probably hit the mud hole every now and again.
I think that you willl be more than happy with a 3" lift. You will not have to cut in to the crossmember and can fit a plenty big tire. I have also heard that the DB lifts don't hold up as well because of the replacement crossmember and assorted bracketry.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
I think that you willl be more than happy with a 3" lift. You will not have to cut in to the crossmember and can fit a plenty big tire. I have also heard that the DB lifts don't hold up as well because of the replacement crossmember and assorted bracketry.
Better info than I gave. Go with that.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
yoat's Tacoma Gallery
also its kind of tough to think small most of past vehicles have been lifted a good bit. i just want to build something comparable to my old stuff

Old 11-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
ROLLIN ON RUST
senor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
senor taco's Tacoma Gallery
Go with a 3 or 4.5" with 33's. 6" is too much for a reg cab. AnD you'll probally loose a lot of power with 35's (unless you regear)

Thank you for your Service
Old 11-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
Banned
bowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to behold
bowhunter11199's Tacoma Gallery
no way man. 6 in lift looks extremly good and very functionable( if done right). I personally have a 6in suspension with a 2 in body im loving it! but if you run 35's youll want to redo your gear ratio. if u have a 6 banger i would change it to a 4.88 if manual.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
yoat's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for all the opinions, I know 3" is the reasonable thing but thats what almost evey yota on the road is sporting, yes probably for a reason. But thats no fun. I guess I just think Wont be happy with a 3" after I spend all the money on the lift and tires only to go back and do it again. I wish I could find some 2nd gen reg cabs with 6" lifts. Here is my first one when I Joined the service...

Old 11-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
that thing is sex. personally i would only go 3" for ifs but if it were sas id do a 5" or 6"
Old 11-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
This guy has 6" of lift on his 2nd gen reg cab

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...uth-texas.html
Old 11-12-2010, 03:41 AM   #13

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter11199 View Post
no way man. 6 in lift looks extremly good and very functionable( if done right). I personally have a 6in suspension with a 2 in body im loving it! but if you run 35's youll want to redo your gear ratio. if u have a 6 banger i would change it to a 4.88 if manual.
Functionable? Really?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #14
lightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant future

lightmup's Tacoma Gallery
You will need a 6" to clear 35s and get the look you want. I have 6" fabtech double cab and I love it. You could go with the Allpro long travl up front and glass fenders and clear 35s if I could go back thats what I would run.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #15
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
IMO if you want to go with 6" and 35's and your going to cut up the cross member and you want it comparable to your other rigs I say SAS!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #16
beach_yota03 is on a distinguished road

Name: jonny
beach_yota03's Tacoma Gallery
i would love to have 6'' lift but only got 3. but im also running 35'' boggers with stock 4.10 gears and i have no power loss.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #17
Banned
bowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to behold
bowhunter11199's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 8 in lift with 4.10 gears i can tell the power loss when i climb hills. (Pavement or dirt). i want the change it to a 5.88 but i dont have $1300 just floating around.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #18
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
People always hate the 6" kits. I drive the unholy piss outof my 2005 6" lift/35s and havent had one problem. Truck currently has 117K miles. As for my 2007, strictly pavement poundin-gangsta-mall crawler...call it what you will

To OP, if you need advise or help with the 6" lift, let me know. I have 2 2nd Gens with 6" lifts on both trucks and know them like the back of my hand.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #19
Coolidge will become famous soon enough

Name: Guy
Coolidge's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
IMO if you want to go with 6" and 35's and your going to cut up the cross member and you want it comparable to your other rigs I say SAS!
Agreed.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
I hav a 6" but everybody always thinks its a 3"