Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Are these spring done?

Old 11-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
GOLFMAN845 has a spectacular aura aboutGOLFMAN845 has a spectacular aura aboutGOLFMAN845 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Nic
GOLFMAN845's Tacoma Gallery
Are these spring done?

Okay so this is my first post. Please forgive me if I ramble on. I am just looking for some help. I have spent well over 2 days looking at this site and thought I should pose the question. So here goes I have an 02 DC 4x4 seems like it is sitting lower than it should, tires rub when making sharp turns and over bumps. Took it in to have it balanced and alignment guy said I needed new struts on the front. Gave me a ridiculous quote with some socks I have never heard of before, and I said no thanks. But we did find that the tires where way out of balance, hard to believe since they wheels and tires had less than 5k on them. 2 were about an ounce off, another 3 ounces and one was 9 ounces off. I got the wheels from wheelers off-road, 16" black alloy. Anyone else have them or have problems like that? Anyway back struts, which got me thinking if I am going to replace the front I might as well do that back as well. I crawled underneath and noticed my leaf springs don't look all that great. I bought the truck 20,000 miles ago, now has 122,000. Not sure what they should look like. Any help would be great!

Thanks!
Golfman

*** EDIT*** Additional questions

Okay so now I know what needs to be done. New Front Coils with shocks, new rear leafs and shocks.

Now what to put in. I am thinking along the lines of lifting a little:

5 leaf pack to provide 1.5" not sure what kind yet?

OME front coils not sure which ones yet. 880's or 881's, I have a 2002 Double Cab.

Thinking Bilstein 5100's all around.

Any suggestions other than that?
Attached Thumbnails
Are these spring done?-driverside-back-half.jpg   Are these spring done?-driverside-rear-forward.jpg   Are these spring done?-passside-rear-back.jpg   Are these spring done?-passside-rear-front.jpg  
Old 11-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
hard to tell at that picture angle, but they kinda look like they are starting to arch the wrong direction
Old 11-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
They look pretty flat to me...I think you'd notice a big change with an upgrade.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
They look pretty flat to me...I think you'd notice a big change with an upgrade.
x2 there starting to have a negative arch I don't know about shot but you might want to look into replacing them soon.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
GOLFMAN845 has a spectacular aura aboutGOLFMAN845 has a spectacular aura aboutGOLFMAN845 has a spectacular aura about

That's what I was thinking. I called the local Spring Shop here is St. Louis, and they told me they can not re-arch Toyota Springs b/c they are Metric Steel, but they could add a leaf. But wouldn't adding a leaf give it more lift than stock? I want to put the Billy 5100's on the front, to level it at stock height. I read if you go the full 2" with them the ride is rough. I want it to be a little smoother than it is now. I am pretty sure the front shocks are completely shot, because I feel every bump.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I'd just replace the entire spring pack.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
neoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neoflex's Tacoma Gallery
This may be a dumb question, but what causes that to happen? I have owned many vehicles with leaf springs and never experienced anything of the sort.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
Mind = Blown
Loudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: EOD
Name: Blair
Loudpedal's Tacoma Gallery
Check out this thread. Good info in the posts. Its a lot of reading but worth it.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...s-up-down.html
Old 11-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
This may be a dumb question, but what causes that to happen? I have owned many vehicles with leaf springs and never experienced anything of the sort.

I am pretty sure it is because of the type of metal used. Local spring shop said that Toyota Springs can not be re-arched because they are Metric Steel. Not sure what that means, but I am guessing it is pretty weak. I have read in other post that Toyota made them for comfort ride, rather than a traditional truck ride. Which seems like a mistake on Toyota's end.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFMAN845 View Post
Okay so this is my first post. Please forgive me if I ramble on. I am just looking for some help. I have spent well over 2 days looking at this site and thought I should pose the question. So here goes I have an 02 DC 4x4 seems like it is sitting lower than it should, tires rub when making sharp turns and over bumps. Took it in to have it balanced and alignment guy said I needed new struts on the front. Gave me a ridiculous quote with some socks I have never heard of before, and I said no thanks. But we did find that the tires where way out of balance, hard to believe since they wheels and tires had less than 5k on them. 2 were about an ounce off, another 3 ounces and one was 9 ounces off. I got the wheels from wheelers off-road, 16" black alloy. Anyone else have them or have problems like that? Anyway back struts, which got me thinking if I am going to replace the front I might as well do that back as well. I crawled underneath and noticed my leaf springs don't look all that great. I bought the truck 20,000 miles ago, now has 122,000. Not sure what they should look like. Any help would be great!

Thanks!
Golfman

Anyone have suggestions on Rear Replacement Leaf Springs, for a good price. Also what are the thoughts on lifting 1.5", I want to add Bilstein 5100's to the front, at the middle setting. Which would look better stock leaf spring height or +1.5", with the setting on the front shocks?

Here are the front coils still good?

Drivers Side

Passenger Side

Thanks,
Golfman
Old 11-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Front springs look pretty done too. We don't get the best springs from the factory.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
The front is shot as well as the rear.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
1st gen Tacos are notorious for having weak leaf packs. I swapped out the entire suspension earlier this year because of the crappy leafs and couldn't be happier now.

I might suggest you both do some reading...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...placement.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ades-asap.html

Doing an AAL might buy you some time, replacing the packs with something aftermarket like Wheeler's/Alcan packs will solve the problem for good. There are a few options out there, depending on your needs and budget, just got to find the right combo for your truck.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #15

Does anyone think that if the shocks are replaced that the spring will not be so compressed?

Quote:
Anyone have suggestions on Rear Replacement Leaf Springs, for a good price. Also what are the thoughts on lifting 1.5", I want to add Bilstein 5100's to the front, at the middle setting. Which would look better stock leaf spring height or +1.5", with the setting on the front shocks?

Here are the front coils still good?

Drivers Side

Passenger Side

Thanks,
Golfman
Old 11-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
Mind = Blown
Loudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Does anyone think that if the shocks are replaced that the spring will not be so compressed?
No. Springs hold up the truck, shocks just control bounce. So if you only replace the shocks, the truck's weight will push down until the spring stops compressing. And it will look pretty much the same.

If you haven't done so, please read the links Lisa provided below. There is a reason why so many of us 100k mile 1st gens now run the same aftermarket suspension setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
1st gen Tacos are notorious for having weak leaf packs. I swapped out the entire suspension earlier this year because of the crappy leafs and couldn't be happier now.

I might suggest you both do some reading...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...placement.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ades-asap.html

Doing an AAL might buy you some time, replacing the packs with something aftermarket like Wheeler's/Alcan packs will solve the problem for good. There are a few options out there, depending on your needs and budget, just got to find the right combo for your truck.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #17

Okay so now I know what needs to be done. New Front Coils with shocks, new rear leafs and shocks.

Now what to put on. I am thinking along the lines of lifting a little:

5 leaf pack to provide 1.5" not sure what kind yet?

OME front coils not sure which ones yet. 880's or 881's, I have a 2002 Double Cab. What do you all think?

Thinking Bilstein 5100's all around.

Would like not to spend a fortune. So on some what of a budget. Truck doesn't see much if any off roading, hauls a once a year load of fire food and that about it.

Any suggestions other than that?

**** UPDATE INFO****
Talked to my local parts store, they can get me the Stock Off Road Coils for $74.09 for the set. Sounds like a good deal to me but if I go with the 1.5" lift with the leafs, I don't want to set the 5100's at max because of the ride. So would the middle setting give me a big rake?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #18
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
If you go with the same set up that I have you will get about 2" of lift - at least that's what I got out of it. As far as cost goes, expect somewhere in the ballpark of $1000 for everything - and thats parts only.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #19
Mind = Blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
If you go with the same set up that I have you will get about 2" of lift - at least that's what I got out of it. As far as cost goes, expect somewhere in the ballpark of $1000 for everything - and thats parts only.
Quoted for truth. The 881 coils give you lift with the 5100s at their lowest setting. I also got about 2" with just the right amount of rake.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudpedal View Post
Quoted for truth. The 881 coils give you lift with the 5100s at their lowest setting. I also got about 2" with just the right amount of rake.
Hey was looking at your build page. Noticed you measured your height. What where you before? Because yours looks like it sits higher stock than mine does. Here are my measurements:
Driver Front - 34 3/4"
Pass Front - 35 1/4"
Driver Rear - 35 5/8"
Pass Rear - 36 1/4"

What height did you end up at too?

Wheeler's suggest the 882's for the double cab, but it also says its a firm ride and doesn't say how much lift.