Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Tires rub frame after alignment.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
Tires rub frame after alignment.

After I got my lift I had my alignment done, and it was pretty good, but not perfect. Today I had Toyota do an alignment, and it feels WAY better, but I've noticed it is lightly rubbing the rear of the lower a-arm, and a bit of the frame?! What would be causing this...I don't even have huge tires, just 265/70-17 Revos.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm do you have aftermarket wheels?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I do, just not on the truck yet. Stock TRD Sport wheels with the 265/70-17 Revos. I have a 2.5" lift.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Is that the stock size for 17's?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #5

Stock size is 265/65-17, and before my alignment today it did not rub the frame. My alignment after my lift was okay, but my wheel wasn't straight, so I took it in. Now it rides way better, and tighter, but rubs the frame?! mY toe, and caster weren't great, and they got the caster up higher, and improved the toe so the wheel is perfect...why would it rub the frame/ a-arm now?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Improving the caster angle physically moves the wheel back in the wheelwell a bit.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #7

That's what I was wondering... It has great feel through the wheel now. Better then when it was stock. Only reason I noticed was because I'm curious and took a look under after, and seen that it had rubbed my frame a bit on both sides. Must have been when leaving the parking lot at Toyota.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
do you have a alignment sheet?
Old 11-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #9

Sure do. I can't scan it for you, but I can tell you what it say's...

left side caster is 1.43 degrees, 1.13 degrees camber, and toe is 0.4
Right side caster is 1.52 degrees, 1.2 degrees camber, and toe is 0.3

These are a bit different than my last alignment as I don't remember it being in degrees like this. Print out is different as well...maybe the dealership got a new machine?!

I talked to the shop manager and he say's I can bring it back some time early next week to get it redone. Hopefully they can get it to not rub and still keep the same ride quality...
Old 11-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

theres your problem, your caster is too low. I have the same issue. It should be approx 2.4

From chris4x4
Toe: 0* (if not precisley 0*, it should have + toe out but not to exceed .05*)
Camber: 0*
Caster: between 2.3* and 3.1**
Old 11-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #11

The print out from the dealer say's it's right in their ideal area. When I got it done after the lift it was at 1.9/ 2.0 from a different place with a hunter machine, and the Toyota dealer brought it even higher. It feels way better then before, and even better than before my lift when it was apparently at 2.0 on both sides. Like I said the dealership has a different print out from eight months ago when I got an align at stock?! Feels perfect except for the rubbing the frame...
Old 11-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Eh. That's not an ideal alignment. It's what you get when you weight all the parameters equally, and try to get toe, camber, and caster all into the "green' range.

But toe and camber affect tire wear. Caster just affects the more subjective "feel."

After lifting, I had my shop align toe and caster to near zero, which meant that caster was far off the desired 2.4 degrees.

If you go to that, I'm guessing that

1. it'll feel "livelier" but
2. probably will stop doing the rub thing.

Also, your tires will wear longer.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #13

What I have noticed is if you take a look in my gallery I have my alignment sheet and before I had my last alignment my caster was 4 and after it went to 2.2 on the drivers and 2.6 on my passenger. Now I have bad rubbing on my control arm and my body mohnt
Old 11-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
What I have noticed is if you take a look in my gallery I have my alignment sheet and before I had my last alignment my caster was 4 and after it went to 2.2 on the drivers and 2.6 on my passenger. Now I have bad rubbing on my control arm and my body mohnt
0.4 ?
Old 11-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #15

Sorry I'm on my iphone 4.1 and 4.2 driver, passenger respectably
Old 11-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #16

I'm going to take a closer look tomorrow to see if it is rubbing now, or it was doing it before and I never noticed. Honestly, when I drive it now it feels awesome! It even got rid of 90% of the take off vibe, and vibe i was getting at 25 mp/h. If it is rubbing now, and they can sweeten it up to not do it, then I'll be a happy camper.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #17

After looking at it I'm certain the rub is due to the camber being too high. I'm going to tell them to get is to 0.5 or lower, or I want my $ back. Where it's set is right at the high edge of the scale/ specs.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:48 AM   #18

Well, talked to the service manager and voiced my concerns about how the alignment is in "spec" but very shitty. He took it in yesterday and he and another tech played with it for 2 hours, and got numbers that are more acceptable to me. 1.9/ 2.1 caster, 0.58/ 0.61 camber, and 0.02/ 0.03 toe. Hopefully this won't be rubbing my LCA anymore. I'll take it for a test drive this weekend when the roads clear up (snowing pretty good right now)