LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How much downtravel do you have after the lift?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
How much downtravel do you have after the lift?

I have ICON extended travel coilovers and TC UCAs. The coilovers are cranked to achieve 3" lift (ground to fender is 38.5" or wheel hub to fender is 23.5").

The downtravel right now is:

Driver side: 1.5"
Passenger: 2.25"

Btw, I measured it by getting the difference of the distance from tip of tire to fender while the tire is on a level ground and off the ground.

I think it is stiff on highways.

What do you think of the downtravel? Is it bad? Should I suspect that the coilovers have sagged now?

I need your inputs please. Also, please post your setup, the downtravel and quality of ride so we can compare.

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Well stock travel is what 8". So you lift it 2" your down travel is down ~2". You lift it 3" downtravel is ~1"...am I right or am I wrong? I would imagine thats how it goes roughly You can also gain a little travel by removing the sway bar
Old 11-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Well stock travel is what 8". So you lift it 2" your down travel is down ~2". You lift it 3" downtravel is ~1"...am I right or am I wrong? I would imagine thats how it goes roughly You can also gain a little travel by removing the sway bar
correct!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
correct!
So it looks like the ICON extended travel and TC UCA allows me more travel then?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thats why they are called EXTENDED travel lol just messing around a little man
Old 11-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #6

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats why they are called EXTENDED travel lol just messing around a little man
Thanks for your input man.

ICON said that I need to have 2" of downtravel to have better ride (just like stock!). So now, I need to find a way to get 2" of downtravel in the driver side. Do you think by adding a spacer and reducing the preload will gain me more travel? Is this advisable?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Almost there

I would not change out preload for a spacer because the 2 dont work the same. Hmm to gain that extra .5" maybe just remove the sway bar! Easy solution that will give you more travel on both sides!

Oh and also pairing with the Uniball UCA and coilovers will yield a little more travel than the stock ball joints
Old 11-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #8

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
For now, I won't remove the swaybar for the extra travel.

I hope someone with similar setup will chime in so I can compare. I just think my coilovers are sagging now.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTacoms View Post
For now, I won't remove the swaybar for the extra travel.

I hope someone with similar setup will chime in so I can compare. I just think my coilovers are sagging now.
i removed mine and love it
Old 11-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Remove your sway bar. I have the same set up as you.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #11

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
Remove your sway bar. I have the same set up as you.
How much travel did you have before?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No idea what I had before, but after it was:

hub to fender on both sides = just under 24.5"
When it was jacked up = 27"
Old 11-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Extended travel ICON COs here and TC UCAs. I have about 4" of droop from ride height, which is 38" ground to fender in the front, 23" from hub to fender. Also, my swaybar is off.

FYI, 38.5" ground to fender is about a 3.5" lift...watch your CVs...

Ride for me is fine, but that's cause my COs aren't way cranked up. A little stiffer on the road, but takes big hits much better.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #14

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Extended travel ICON COs here and TC UCAs. I have about 4" of droop from ride height, which is 38" ground to fender in the front, 23" from hub to fender.

FYI, 38.5" ground to fender is about a 3.5" lift...watch your CVs...

Ride for me is fine, but that's cause my COs aren't way cranked up. A little stiffer on the road, but takes big hits much better.
I saw a post here that 38.5" is 3" lift. I don't have a stock measurement, so I just followed them. Anyway, here are some photos of my passenger CV. Does it look alright by the look of the boots? The photos will not show the correct angle though.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #15
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTacoms View Post
I saw a post here that 38.5" is 3" lift. I don't have a stock measurement, so I just followed them. Anyway, here are some photos of my passenger CV. Does it look alright by the look of the boots? The photos will not show the correct angle though.

Those posts are wrong. Go to any dealership lot or any stock 2nd gen Taco you can find and measure hub-to-fender. It's always 20 inches, give or take a quarter inch. Stock ground-to-fender is 34 inches, give or take a 1/4".

Your inner boots are way tight in that photo. If you're lucky they won't eat themselves. I myself wouldn't take the chance. How long have you had the COs on in front?
Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #16

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Those posts are wrong. Go to any dealership lot or any stock 2nd gen Taco you can find and measure hub-to-fender. It's always 20 inches, give or take a quarter inch. Stock ground-to-fender is 35 inches, give or take a 1/4".

Your inner boots are way tight in that photo. If you're lucky they won't eat themselves. I myself wouldn't take the chance. How long have you had the COs on in front?
I have it for a year but it was only yesterday that I cranked it 38.5". It had been at 38" but I thought it sagged because it's rubbing cab mount more. I might crank it down a little bit.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #17

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
I added a Toytec 1/4" in the driver's side on top of the coilover and then cranked down the coilovers at both sides. With the added spacer, I was able get equal amount of thread (2 inches) showing in the coilovers. With this, I measured 23" inches from hub center to fender (38" from ground to fender). Downtravel at both sides are 2.5". The fins of the CV boots are not touching anymore. I don't have differential drop.

I'm loving the ride; it feels like stock. And oh, I got rid of the cab mount rubbing at full turn with caster set at 2.8.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #18
S.S.T. is on a distinguished road
S.S.T.'s Tacoma Gallery
What size are your tires? Larger tires will skew the ground to fender measurement. Hub center to fender is more accurate while measuring lift.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #19
Slamry

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.T. View Post
What size are your tires? Larger tires will skew the ground to fender measurement. Hub center to fender is more accurate while measuring lift.
This. ^

I have a "3 inch lift" but my measurements ground to fender are above 40".
Old 12-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #20
Poser Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.T. View Post

You may note the 285 tire size listed in his signature...