Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

35's and 3 inch lift on 2nd Gen.?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #21
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jan (Pronounced Yan)
JanBoothius's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
You are gonna need protection (no pun intended) before anything else.
I'm aware
Old 11-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #22
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Chop the cab mounts, pound back the pinch weld, take the flares off your fenders and grind the fender back a bit.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #23
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanBoothius View Post
Probably TC UCA's. Not sure about the coilovers/shocks yet. Dakkars in rear.

I want as much lift as possible, from that form factor. The truck will see serious trails, and need as much clearance as possible... which is why I'm not so keen on the 4.5/6" lifts.
are you 4x4?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #24
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, otherwise known as transfer case: http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfe...omplete-setups
Don't want to argue, but a transfer case give the front and rear power from engine. A crawl box make the ratio from the transmission to wheels even higher, so that make the wheels go even slower. They are two different things.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #25
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
are you 4x4?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
Don't want to argue, but a transfer case give the front and rear power from engine. A crawl box make the ratio from the transmission to wheels even higher, so that make the wheels go even slower. They are two different things.
They can be two different components, or in the same component/housing. The low gears are usually in the transfer case. Check it out on wikipedia. (Always a credible source, hehe )

Now the hard part will be finding a transfer case/crawl box (whether the reduction should be a secondary 'crawl box', or a whole new transfer case) that plays nice with a 2nd gen V6 M/T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
Chop the cab mounts, pound back the pinch weld, take the flares off your fenders and grind the fender back a bit.
Do you know where I might find some pictures of this? I have been googling and searching the forums for a "build thread" type of walkthrough for this procedure.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #26
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes.

They can be two different components, or in the same component/housing. The low gears are usually in the transfer case. Check it out on wikipedia. (Always a credible source, hehe )

Now the hard part will be finding a transfer case that plays nice with a 2nd gen V6 M/T

Do you know where I might find some pictures of this? I have been googling and searching the forums for a "build thread" type of walkthrough for this procedure.
Yes, but for use its a crawl box and its separate. 4Lo is considered a crawl gear.

Just contact Marlin for one.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #27
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
remember that oversized tires like that will also fuck up your power stearing. i would go with 33's. its not worth the effort to fit 35's on only a 3" lift, especially if your not gonna re-gear any time soon
Old 11-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #28
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If you have the money to spend and the time to put in, 35s are awesome. Just regear eventually
Old 11-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
If you have the money to spend and the time to put in, 35s are awesome. Just regear eventually
My thinking exactly! If I'm going to lift this baby, and put big tires on, I'm going to do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
i would go with 33's. its not worth the effort to fit 35's on only a 3" lift, especially if your not gonna re-gear any time soon
If I put 33s on, I know I would be wishing I had went with 35s after one trail run.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #30
Slamry

I agree. I've had 3 sets of tire within the last year. 32's, 33's, 35's. Do it right the first time!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #31
Slamry

Never! Haha, only if I did a SAS, but I would probably do LT before that and stick with 35s.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #32
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I agree. 35s are a waste. Cut and chop and cut more just for a bit more tire? Not worth it.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #34
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a reason why you didn't contact RelentlessTaco or all.on.black directly?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #37
Slamry

I have more clearance than I had with my 33's. I have less rubbing than I had with 33s (Because I hadn't cut or trimmed anything with my old tires), and I hit the bumps before I come in contact with the fenders. I tried to stuff them on a rock on the wheeling trip on Saturday and I still had a bit more room.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #39
Slamry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
^^^ Now turn, That's not on bumpstop neither. Accually that's nowhere near bumpstop
I turned full lock on that and it didn't rub on anything. And I know that isn't on the bumpstops, but I'm not going to be going over anything bigger than those rocks right now. As my truck sits right now its fine for what I do. I need full skids before I go over some bigger rocks anyway. Then I'll need to upgrade my suspension and so on. Stupid money pit, it's a never ending project.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #40
Slamry

You can't see it from the pic, but this is when I had 285's and I was on the bump stops when I had less lift and my cab mounts weren't chopped and I barely came in contact with them in the front. Rear was touching my fender flares, but now they are removed anyway.