LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Help w/ LIFT decision...please

Old 11-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
Tbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
Tbird's Tacoma Gallery
Help w/ LIFT decision...please

I know I'm poking the beast with this question as there are hundreds of similar threads asking basically the same question. But the more I read...the less uncertain I am with every "decision" I make and then un-make. I think I need folks to address MY specific questions/wants to help me with this.

I have an 05' Sport Access cab. I've bought 16" rims to replace the stock 17" (I am in bad need of new tires anyway). I'll be putting larger tires on so it's LIFT time for my truck. I've been researching on this site for months. I know nearly everything there is to know about Tacoma lifts. I have all the info and don't know what to do with it. I can't tell you how many build threads I am following!

So given these criteria below...which kind of lift would you recommend for me. Not sure if I should go w/ a coil lift or coilovers. I don't want a rough ride or vibes.

1) 3" of lift...no more wanted.
2) #1 requirement is to preserve or enhance highway ride quality.
3) I'm willing to spend $$$ money to get good equipment...but don't want to install way more ability than I'll use.
4) I know I want Total Chaos UCAs.
4) I really want to get it right the first time.
5) I don't need huge clearance or travel.
6) Leaning toward adjustable coilovers for the front.
7) Considering: ICON, King, Fox, Bilstien.
8) Rear will proabably be leaf pack not just aal (which one do you like).
9) Where should I get what you suggest?

I don't wheel just to wheel; I wheel to get to places to hike/camp/etc. But I do this regularly and it is remote, I'm alone, and sometimes it's pretty tough. I want good stuff off-road that rides very nicely on the highway. I drive a 70/30 higway/off-road split. I have to drive 100-200 mi. of highway to get to the places that I get off-road. I know this is a tired subject, but I'll be deeply appreciative of your insights and experiences.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
I have Icons front and rear with the Camburg bj uca. I love the ride. However, it is somewhat rough for others. From what I have read, other seem to say that the Fox's and King's ride better on road. Just remember that with the coilover lift, you are still pre loading the spring, therefore making it a little stiffer as you continue to increase your lift. You may want to look at the Sway Away 2.0" adjustable coilovers as well. That with a different, ball joint, uca may help you achieve what you are looking for while providing the capabilities that you desire, all while somewhat minimizing extra costs.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
King Resi's with TC UCA's, All Pro leaf pack in the rear with your choice of shocks - King, ICON, Fox, etc. That's what I would do if money wasn't an issue.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Holy shit thats a lot to read.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
Gundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jason
Gundy315's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, "S.B." if you thought that was too much to read, stop here.

TBird,

I'd generally agree with 1337taco's advice. It doesn't sound like you would need the remote resi setups for the fronts, but if $ is no object, might as well... the adjustability and ease of installation of coilovers are an obvious plus.

I was on a moderate budget for my setup (Bilstein 5100's, OME 885s, 3-leaf AAL pack, and Camburg ball joint UCAs), so I didn't go with coilovers. However, I couldn't be happier with the highway ride with my lift, and I'm on the highway about 95% of the time.

I'm a big fan of Bilstein in general. I have now run them on 3 completely different vehicles, and they've been great on every application.

I was leery of running AALs, because I had AALs an old Jeep for a while and the ride was bone-jarring. This is NOT the case with the 3-leaf AAL I got from Wheelers. It provides a progressive spring rate, so the ride is not harsh at all, in my opinion. So, basically, I'm just saying don't rule that out that as an option.

I kind of like the Camburg ball joint UCA's (NOT uniball), too. I put new MOOG ball joints in them, which was a HUGE pain, even using a big hydraulic frame press... but i like the low-maintenance, and no noise aspect of them. They allowed me to dial in the alignment exactly where I wanted it.

Before I lifted it, my truck (w/ 90K mi) had lots of body roll in turns, and the suspension just felt too "squishy" for my taste. I think it rides sort of like a sports car on the highway now.

I recommend Wheelers as a retailer. They were helpful and easy to work with. I can't speak as to the others (like DSM), as I haven't dealt with them.

I know most of this is contrary to what you are planning, but I thought I would throw it out there.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
Tbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
Tbird's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input guys,

I decided and ordered:

All-Pro leaf pack in the rear.
ICON extended travel non-res coilovers in front.
Total Chaos UCAs.
ICON res shocks in the rear.

Konig Countersteer Off-road rims.
wrapped in Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 260/75/16.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
silver streak taco is on a distinguished road
silver streak taco's Tacoma Gallery
does your truck sit anywhere close to level with the allpro 3" leafs with the coilovers? if not, how much rake do you have? and how much do you have your icons cranked up to
Old 12-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
Halo913 is on a distinguished road
Name: Adrian
Halo913's Tacoma Gallery
$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird View Post
Thanks for the input guys,

I decided and ordered:

All-Pro leaf pack in the rear.
ICON extended travel non-res coilovers in front.
Total Chaos UCAs.
ICON res shocks in the rear.

Konig Countersteer Off-road rims.
wrapped in Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 260/75/16.
how much for the total suspension?