Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

ToyTec Coilover Help

Old 11-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Reaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: P3 Flight Engineer / 737 Crew Chief
Name: Brandon
Reaper10's Tacoma Gallery
ToyTec Coilover Help

OK you suspension experts, I need a little help. Just got done changing my 5100's set at 2.5 to the coilovers from ToyTec. I also threw in some Light Racing UCA's while I was at it. Passenger side is dead on at 23' from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender. However me being the knuckle head that I am I didn't take the Taco Lean into account and I need to raise the Drivers side up almost an inch. So the question is can I actually adjust these things on the truck or am I going to have to tear the drivers side out again? Bail me out here guys!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
yes you can.just take the weight off the suspension and adjust.i drive around the block and come back and re measure just to make sure it set right.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
vermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

vermintrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
yes you can.just take the weight off the suspension and adjust.i drive around the block and come back and re measure just to make sure it set right.
Would the extra preload on one side be noticeable or affect the handling ?
Old 11-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
i wouldnt think you should even notice since its only maybe a 1/4 inch at most.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Reaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Hot damn, that's what I wanted to hear! Thank you very much! I don't have nearly as much work tomorrow morning as I thought.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
hey,no problem.and its real easy to do on the truck.good luck and enjoy the new set up.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
oh, and reaper, im no expert.just try and help when i can.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #8

Talking

Quote:
oh, and reaper, im no expert.just try and help when i can.
Experts come in all forms. I figure if you have a question and someone comes up with an answer...bang, expert! Seriously, this is why I surf this site 90 times a day, I love it here. Costs me a ton of money but I still love it!
Old 11-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
spray a little wd40 on the threads before attempting to adjust them. should help out some
Old 11-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr114 View Post
spray a little wd40 on the threads before attempting to adjust them. should help out some
Great idea, thanks. Hey I'm open to whatever suggestions you guys got.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr114 View Post
x 100 good call.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper10 View Post
Experts come in all forms. I figure if you have a question and someone comes up with an answer...bang, expert! Seriously, this is why I surf this site 90 times a day, I love it here. Costs me a ton of money but I still love it!
i know what your saying.its (tw) is/was very spendy on my pocket.lol
Old 11-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #13

Thanks for the help guys, I finished off the adjustments this morning and let me tell ya, those things are a bear to adjust. After driving around for a bit it looks like I got the drivers side to within a quarter inch of the passenger side. I'm thinking good enough! Sitting in the waiting room of the alignment place right now. Now all I have to do is replace the sway bar link I managed to tear yesterday. Oops. Oh well, everytime I tear into the truck I learn something new. Thanks again guys!
Old 11-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #14
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper10 View Post
Thanks for the help guys, I finished off the adjustments this morning and let me tell ya, those things are a bear to adjust. After driving around for a bit it looks like I got the drivers side to within a quarter inch of the passenger side. I'm thinking good enough! Sitting in the waiting room of the alignment place right now. Now all I have to do is replace the sway bar link I managed to tear yesterday. Oops. Oh well, everytime I tear into the truck I learn something new. Thanks again guys!
hmmm,my foxs are real easy to adjust on the truck.i would of tried to get them even.a 1/4" is a 1/4" ya no.good luck.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #15
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
When I had the Toytec's on my truck they were a pain to adjust. It eventually came to the point where I had to compress the spring to spin the collar. I'm glad you were able to adjust it while they were still on the truck.

Pictures of the finished product?
Old 11-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #16
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
When I had the Toytec's on my truck they were a pain to adjust. It eventually came to the point where I had to compress the spring to spin the collar. I'm glad you were able to adjust it while they were still on the truck.

Pictures of the finished product?
didnt know they were that bad to adjust.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #17
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
didnt know they were that bad to adjust.
Maybe not all, but mine might have gotten mud in there from wheeling which could have made it difficult to adjust.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #18
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
Maybe not all, but mine might have gotten mud in there from wheeling which could have made it difficult to adjust.
i see.well maybe the op has mud to or they are just a pita.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #19
Black Rock Taco is on a distinguished road
Army: Nat'l guard medic and supply sgt.
Black Rock Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Break free vs. WD40

I've adjusted mine a couple of times; I recently had the left side sag causing horrendous tire wear. Anyway, I found Break Free w/ teflon much, much better than WD40 to make the adjuster easier to turn. Use compressed air to blast off dirt etc before spraying lube on them. Make sure the spanner wrench is as close to perpendicular to the shock body, they are flimsy and pretty easy to bend. Take a very detailed measurement from fender to axle centers right when you get the alignment done, so it's easy to re-adjust if (when) the springs sag. Mine sagged quite a bit right after installation, and as I said the left sagged quite some time later. Since there's no lock on the adjuster, I wonder if it's possible the adjuster turned out with road vibration etc.? It was a good 1/2" lower than the right side.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #20

No dirt or mud yet, they went in brand new yesterday. They're not impossible to turn just requires a good amount off ass behind the wrench. The first try with the alignment didn't go well and I'm having them redo it right now. I took some pics while I was installing and I'll toss one up here shortly. These alignment guys are killing me...what's so hard to understand about 0 camber and 0 toe? Hey alignment guys, if my tire chirps when I drive, the toe ain't 0!!! Maybe the second time will go better.