Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How to line up shock mount and lower shock hole?

Old 11-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
How to line up shock mount and lower shock hole?

Does anyone know the trick to getting the studs in the top shock mount to line up exactly right with the lower shock hole? Want to make sure it is lined up correctly because I know it will be tough to fix once the coil is depressed.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I use a 9" long, 3/8" ratchet extension, inserted into the lower shock mounting hole, and with the shock loosly mounted at the top to the vehicle, turn the lower shock until it lines up with the lower shock mount.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I use a 9" long, 3/8" ratchet extension, inserted into the lower shock mounting hole, and with the shock loosly mounted at the top to the vehicle, turn the lower shock until it lines up with the lower shock mount.
x2 and just to clarify this is after it's assembled. It's a little tough to twist it but by all means doable.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
Mine were lined up pretty good when they were assembled, but still a bit off when I went to put them in...I used a large phillips screwdriver through the bottom hole, and gave them a little twist...worked great!
Old 11-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Exactly what I did. When the coils are assembled onto the struts, it's best to get the top studs lined up as close as possible with the axis of the lower mount hole +/- a few degrees. Then when you install the coilovers on the truck, hand tighten the 3 top stud nuts and do exactly what chris suggested with the ratchet extension to twist the lower strut body the final few degrees to get it lined up. Best to use something as smooth and large diameter as possible inside the lower shock hole so as not to damage the interior bushing sleeve. Definitely wouldn NOT want to use something knurled or a square shafted screwdriver
Old 11-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Line em up with 1 of these.
Damn that is exactly what I need. I wonder if Craftsman makes a good one!