Notices

Noob to lifts

Old 11-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
IrishTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: SF gen mech
Name: Patrick
IrishTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Noob to lifts

Got a stock 08 trd sport a few months back and really wanting a lift but im pretty crappy with mechanical stuff and knowledge. basically im looking at the 5100's for a 2.5 lift and some bigger tires. but what else do i need other then the coilovers? aal for the rear right? new uca's? my truck only has 17k on it if that helps.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
dirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to behold
EMS: paramedic
dirtytaco2010's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like you've been reading the AAL will depend on how high you go with the billies. at 2.5 you need 2'' AAL toytec makes one thats where i got mine.. otherwise there are a million and 1 threads good luck
Old 11-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
another question, whats the biggest size tire i could fit without any rubbing?
Old 11-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishTaco View Post
another question, whats the biggest size tire i could fit without any rubbing?
Lol theres a million and 1 threads on that too! Beware, you might flamed!
Old 11-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
If you get the 5100's, might as well get em on all 4 corners -- 2 shocks in back and the 2 struts in front. Make sure you get the bushings and washers that go with the fronts.

Lot's of folks squeeze 285/70/17 or 285/75/16 tires (33") on their 2nd Gen Taco's with 2.5-3" of lift in front. Depending on what wheels you use, you will most likely have tire rubbing that will at the very least require cutting plastic parts inside the wheel well. If you want to use your stock wheels you would have to use wheel spacers like Spidertrax for tires that big.

AAL or full leaf pack replacement in the rear is what most people will advice for rear lift.

If you have a 4x4 beware of the dreaded front differential issue that me and scores of other people have been having since lifting.

I'll sell you my 2" Toytec AAL if you are interested. I never installed it. I'm up in Seattle.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
yeah the rear aal is what i was thinking of but im kinda confused. if the 5100s are set for 2.5 in the front and the 2"aal in the rear wont the rear end sit a 1/2" lower? where can i get the bushings? autozone? how much for the AAL man?
Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah the rear aal is what i was thinking of but im kinda confused. if the 5100s are set for 2.5 in the front and the 2"aal in the rear wont the rear end sit a 1/2" lower? where can i get the bushings? autozone? how much for the AAL man?
Generally, stock ride height (i.e., no lift) is 2" higher in back than in front. Check out the difference in distance between your fenders and top of tires (or hubs, if you prefer) for front and rear. Should currently be about 2" higher in back, depending on whether or not your truck had the rear leaf spring replacement per the manufacture's TSB. So adding 2.5" lift in front and 2" AAL lift in back would make the overall difference 1.5" higher in the back than in front.

Depending on where you buy the 5100's, the bushings may automatically be included with the struts. But if you order from Toytec you have to buy the bushings separately (from Toytec).

BTW, I was just at Les Schwab in Kirkland a couple days ago and they will sell you front and rear 5100's, installed, WITH alignment for $650. Not a bad deal if you don't want the hassle of dealing with the install yourself, and you get a warranty on the install to CYA. This does not include any rear lift such as AAL -- you would have to pay extra for that. If you are interested in my AAL's, shoot me a PM. I could even help install them if you need.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
So i measured the distance and im gonna call toyota to confirm but it was a 2" difference, so that means that the TSB was installed correct? know of any good places up here for some tires? was thinking of some duratracs and was gonna do all of this at the same time. thanks, appreciate the help.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So i measured the distance and im gonna call toyota to confirm but it was a 2" difference, so that means that the TSB was installed correct? know of any good places up here for some tires? was thinking of some duratracs and was gonna do all of this at the same time. thanks, appreciate the help.
Easist way to check if you have the TSB is to count how many leaf springs you have in the back. If you have 4 (3+ the overload), then you have had the TSB done (or the previous owner left their add-a-leaf on). If you only have 3 leafs (2+the overload), then you do not have the tsb performed.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #10

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, sounds like you didn't have the TSB. IIRC, TSB ride height is 1" to 1.5" higher in back than non-TSB. So the 2" front to rear difference I mentioned would be for non-TSB.

I was going to run Duratracs, too. I ordered a set of 285/75/16's from Tire Factory in Redmond for $1050 including mount, balance, and alignment. Didn't seem like a bad deal, considering I spent about that much on my last set of Rugged Trails. 4wheelparts in Tacoma also quoted me a decent price on a set of Duratracs, but I can't remember how much it was. Might be worth it to give them your business and have them do everything at once (5100 lift, tires, and alignment).
Old 11-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
So i contacted 4wheel parts about installing the 5100's all around and the AAL's in the rear and quoted me $500, does that seem like a bit much? also whats the biggest tire i can throw on without rubbing with this lift? take in mind its a sport with 17's if that matters.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So i contacted 4wheel parts about installing the 5100's all around and the AAL's in the rear and quoted me $500, does that seem like a bit much? also whats the biggest tire i can throw on without rubbing with this lift? take in mind its a sport with 17's if that matters.
You can fit 285/70/17's if you trim some fender well plastic and possible chop the cab mount. You will also need wheel spacers.

If you don't want to do deal with all of that, you can fit 265/70/17's (which you can also fit without a lift).

As far as the install price. A friend and I installed them on all four corners in a few hours.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #13

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Does that price also include an alignment? I think they quoted me $250 just to install the fronts, so I guess $500 for all four and the AALs sounds like it's in the right ballpark. If I had it to do over again, I would have had a shop do the professional install rather than do it myself, at least for the fronts. The peace of mind of an install warranty would have been worth the money to me.

If you do it yourself, count on utilizing Midas or another small shop to compress the coils to assemble the struts ($50-60). Those cheezy little compressors that you get a the auto parts store didn't cut it for me. They didn't have enough draw or strength to suck down the coils enough to get them to fit on the 2.5" setting. As it was, the threaded rods on the compressors we used were bent like bananas under all the tension (i.e., scary!) when we used them to get the coils off the stock struts.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
You can fit 285/70/17's if you trim some fender well plastic and possible chop the cab mount. You will also need wheel spacers.

If you don't want to do deal with all of that, you can fit 265/70/17's (which you can also fit without a lift).

As far as the install price. A friend and I installed them on all four corners in a few hours.
well i wanted something bigger then what i can fit stock and dont feel like the hassle of trimming. not sure if this is a dumb question or not but is there a size in the middle like 270-275/70/17's that would fit without rubbing?
Old 11-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
Does that price also include an alignment? I think they quoted me $250 just to install the fronts, so I guess $500 for all four and the AALs sounds like it's in the right ballpark. If I had it to do over again, I would have had a shop do the professional install rather than do it myself, at least for the fronts. The peace of mind of an install warranty would have been worth the money to me.

If you do it yourself, count on utilizing Midas or another small shop to compress the coils to assemble the struts ($50-60). Those cheezy little compressors that you get a the auto parts store didn't cut it for me. They didn't have enough draw or strength to suck down the coils enough to get them to fit on the 2.5" setting. As it was, the threaded rods on the compressors we used were bent like bananas under all the tension (i.e., scary!) when we used them to get the coils off the stock struts.
yeah it did include the alignment. 500 does seem like a nice chunk of change but as you said the peace of mind and having them do it might just be worth it. but after looking at some wheels and tires on top of this i might be hitting near 2k speaking of which they said starting on the 1st they got a deal on procomp tires, buy 3 get 1 free. was set on duratracs but i might consider procomps. anyone recommend a particular set from them?