Notices

Rear Bilstein 5100

Old 11-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
TacomaGRG is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
TacomaGRG's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Bilstein 5100

I just added front bilstein 5100 to level out my truck. I have the rear tsb in the back, is it worth it to get rear bilstein 5100s? Will I even notice a difference in the ride?
Old 11-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Yes.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
The One The Only
rhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mitchell
rhion82's Tacoma Gallery
From my research you can.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #5

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Yes.
Thanks again Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmooze View Post
I felt an improvement in the ride when I installed 5100's all round, even at stock height. I don't think you'll regret doing it. It's super easy to do too.
Thanks for answering my next question. It looks easy to do but with anything you never know til you get into it. But this I think I can handle.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaGRG View Post
Thanks for answering my next question. It looks easy to do but with anything you never know til you get into it. But this I think I can handle.
It honestly shouldn't take more than 10 minutes per side to install the rears. The hardest part was getting the bushings of the lower shock eyelets to fit in between the trucks lower shock mount brackets. A little gentle persuasion from a mallet and a pry bar gets it in there though. I would suggest jacking the truck from the differential pumpkin, lowering the truck onto jackstands on each side of the truck's rear frame, take wheels off, then raise and lower the rear axle via the jack under the pumpkin to the appropriate work height needed to finagle the shocks into their mounts.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
It honestly shouldn't take more than 10 minutes per side to install the rears. The hardest part was getting the bushings of the lower shock eyelets to fit in between the trucks lower shock mount brackets. A little gentle persuasion from a mallet and a pry bar gets it in there though. I would suggest jacking the truck from the differential pumpkin, lowering the truck onto jackstands on each side of the truck's rear frame, take wheels off, then raise and lower the rear axle via the jack under the pumpkin to the appropriate work height needed to finagle the shocks into their mounts.
I put a light film of grease on the bushings to help slide them into the shock mount brackets.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Add some time for things being rusted on. If you've been through a few of the New England winters, hit the bolts up with PB Blaster about 30 minutes before you start, it'll save you a lot of swearing later.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #10

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Add some time for things being rusted on. If you've been through a few of the New England winters, hit the bolts up with PB Blaster about 30 minutes before you start, it'll save you a lot of swearing later.
Thanks for the tip but I'm thinking I should be alright since they just took them off last month for the TSB. But it has been through 2 new england winters and I know what your talking about with things being rusted on around here.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
kws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kws129's Tacoma Gallery
I actually did the exact same thing and had the exact same question. 5100's up front with rear tsb.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Where did you order your rears from?
Old 11-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #12

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kws129 View Post
I actually did the exact same thing and had the exact same question. 5100's up front with rear tsb.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Where did you order your rears from?
I got them from 4Wheelparts.com. They were like $157. shipped it was the lowest price I could find.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
Banned
xGManx is on a distinguished road
Name: Garrett
xGManx's Tacoma Gallery
Ive been researching the rear suspension TSB and ive recently noticed a lot of squeaking in my rear leafs, i have 5100's at 1.75" in the front with everything else stock. its a little high in the front, like .5", so my question is will the TSB rear spring repair level my truck out? and im covered by the 36k mile/36 month warranty btw
Old 11-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #14

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGManx View Post
Ive been researching the rear suspension TSB and ive recently noticed a lot of squeaking in my rear leafs, i have 5100's at 1.75" in the front with everything else stock. its a little high in the front, like .5", so my question is will the TSB rear spring repair level my truck out? and im covered by the 36k mile/36 month warranty btw
I had the rear tsb done with front billies set at 1.75 and it has a slight rake but just about level. The tsb after settling will give you about an inch of rear lift. The tsb is covered under the 3 yr/36k warranty. Just tell your dealer the springs are squeaking and that your truck bottoms out with 500lbs in the bed, that is key. Good Luck.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #16

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoTacoGA View Post
Sorry I'm still new here but what is tsb?
Its like a recall. I think it stands for Technical Service Bulletin. Just search rear leaf tsb on here, there are a ton of threads.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:23 AM   #18
Banned
xGManx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I had the rear tsb done with front billies set at 1.75 and it has a slight rake but just about level. The tsb after settling will give you about an inch of rear lift. The tsb is covered under the 3 yr/36k warranty. Just tell your dealer the springs are squeaking and that your truck bottoms out with 500lbs in the bed, that is key. Good Luck.
thanks dude, since im under warranty the dealer will pay for it correct?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #19

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGManx View Post
thanks dude, since im under warranty the dealer will pay for it correct?
Yeah it was free.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #20
Banned
xGManx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah it was free.
awesome