Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100s with aftermarket coils

Old 11-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
kram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the rough
kram's Tacoma Gallery
5100s with aftermarket coils

First of all, sorry to start yet another 5100 thread, but I've spent 2 hours looking and searching and I still am unsure what to do.

I have ordered 5100's front and rear and intend to install them myself. I'm going to buy a spring compressor since that is cheaper than paying for someone to do it for me and at least I'll learn something.

I'm confused on the issue of aftermarket springs with the front shocks. On the sticky thread it says "Bilstien 5100's This is a great affordable lift kit. These replacement shocks are great to add a few inches to the front of your Tacoma, it is adjustable and have a slightly better valving system than the stock shocks that come with the Tacoma's. (But please take note NO One recommends it to be used in conjunction with after market coils) This may result in damage of your suspension components."

But it seems like a lot of people are doing this. And I wonder if it's better to run the 5100s on the first or 2nd setting with a firmer coil rather than using more preload. Surely a spring works better with less preload doesn't it?

If I was to go this route, I want to lift my truck as high as I can without needing new UCAs, so I was going to lift 2.5in. Is there a coil that can do this either on setting one or two on the 5100's? And would this in fact give a better ride than using the stock spring (TRD OR) set at 2.5? Anyone have any recommendations for brands/models?

Also, do I need to do a diff drop or anything else at 2.5?
Old 11-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
I replied to your PM. I think the 5100's on the 0.85 setting with the Eibach's is a great set up. I don't think having a shop compress/ install the springs on the 5100's would run you much $...I had a local shop do if for a case of beer. The eibach's are fine on the 0.85 setting, I phoned eibach, and Toytec and both said it was fine (except one guy I talked to at Toytec early on...he disagreed, but I phoned a week later and it was fine?!) Toytec even sells this as a kit and say's either at 0, or 0.85 depending on how much lift you want. I think the concern about different springs is more for the OME ones which are better suited with their shocks. Hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I have OME 885's on my 5100's at 0" height. Everythings okay so far.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I don't think it's a problem either way. I was originally toying with the 884/ 885's but they guy I spoke to at Toytec completly shat on the idea...
Old 11-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
spark4 is on a distinguished road
spark4's Tacoma Gallery
I run 885 @ 0 on my 5100's. No problems. Rides great. Ride is what I was most concerned with. Didn't want it to be stiff. A little stiffer than stock. Def. better dampening over speed bumps etc. But I think I got more than 2.5". A little under 3" after it settled. I also chose to run camburg ball joint UCA's.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
It's fine to run aftermarket coils with the billy's, as long as the combination of the two don't lift more than 2.5". That's all the lift that the shocks were designed to accommodate.

Running the billy's at 0.85 with the 1.6" eibach springs won't affect the shock any differently than if you were running stock coils on the 2.5" setting.

They just don't want people running billy's at 2.5" with some OME 885's for 5.5" of lift, for example. The shocks would have basically no travel left.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the Eibach,s with 5100's set to "0". Great ride, no problems with vibes. I'm sure I could have gone to the .85 setting with no problems, and I might do that when I upgrade to 265/75/16's from the stock Dunlop junkers.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
kram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the rough
kram's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input guys, but I think I'm doing to stick with the stock spring. Seems like that's what most people are doing and for the most part they are all pretty happy with the results.