Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

purchase tacoma stock or already lifted?

Old 11-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
mountnflyer is on a distinguished road
Name: randy
mountnflyer's Tacoma Gallery
purchase tacoma stock or already lifted?

Hi,
I'm going to buy a 1rst gen. I've looked at dozens of trucks and it seems that the ones that already have been lifted are significantly cheaper than stock tacomas of same year and mileage. Is this because a badly done lift can cause problems? Or is it because the assumption is that they've been rode hard? If I buy one with 3"revtek or 4"procomp and I have issues with them, can these lifts be undone fairly easily? Or is it better to just buy a stock truck and lift it myself after studying the info on this site?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
-Randy
Old 11-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountnflyer View Post
Hi,
I'm going to buy a 1rst gen. I've looked at dozens of trucks and it seems that the ones that already have been lifted are significantly cheaper than stock tacomas of same year and mileage. Is this because a badly done lift can cause problems? Or is it because the assumption is that they've been rode hard? If I buy one with 3"revtek or 4"procomp and I have issues with them, can these lifts be undone fairly easily? Or is it better to just buy a stock truck and lift it myself after studying the info on this site?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
-Randy

^^That^^

Welcome to the site Randy.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
by lifting the truck yourself, you know it's done right and you also see how all the compenents work together
Old 11-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I'll disagree. It's typically cheaper to buy an already lifted truck.

And so many lifted trucks never leave the pavement that "it was used hard" doesn't carry a lot of weight either.

Would it be better to buy a lifted truck with Icons and TC UCAs, or buy a stock truck and put a revtek spacer lift on yourself? Well, you'd take the Icon truck, unless it was in bad condition.

However, you need to do your homework. It's not an excuse to avoid learning about lift technology. You'd need to do that if you were doing it yourself anyway, right? Once you've read up on it, you'll be able to look at the lifted truck and see what components were used and whether the job was done well.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Stock and lift. You need to know how to work on yer truck anyway.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Buying a lifted truck is worse than buying a used truck. YOu don't know where its been, how it was used, nor how the stuff was installed. I've seen way too many people buy lifted rigs only to find hack jobs & headaches.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
SWAPMEET CRAWLER
SLOCOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOCOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOCOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOCOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOCOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOCOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOCOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOCOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOCOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOCOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOCOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: kenny
SLOCOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Buy it stock and have some fun..!
Old 11-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
Blackdawn is a splendid one to beholdBlackdawn is a splendid one to beholdBlackdawn is a splendid one to beholdBlackdawn is a splendid one to beholdBlackdawn is a splendid one to beholdBlackdawn is a splendid one to beholdBlackdawn is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Water Walker - E6
Blackdawn's Tacoma Gallery
I think it doesn't matter either way to be honest. I know peeps that have bought stock only to find out that the frame was bent because the previous owner took it to the trail and beat the crap out of it. It depends on the previous owner and knowing what you are getting into. Do your research FIRST, then look for a truck. If you find one that is lifted, at a good price, investigate it. You will be equipped to identify issues with the lift and be able to ask the right questions to the previous owner.

Another suggestion: You might want to take pics of the setup and solicit advice from all the fine members on this forum BEFORE you buy.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:22 AM   #9
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawn View Post

Another suggestion: You might want to take pics of the setup and solicit advice from all the fine members on this forum BEFORE you buy.
x2, we'd be happy to help you identify if it's a quality lift or a half-assed pile 'o crap.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:24 AM   #10
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I do all the work on my own vehicles. I don't trust other people. Even if it is cheaper to buy a lifted truck, I wouldn't do it.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #11
BLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
BLKSR5TACO's Tacoma Gallery
buy stock and lift yourself. that way you get it how you want it and you learn lots by researching.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #12
mountnflyer is on a distinguished road
Name: randy
mountnflyer's Tacoma Gallery
thank you!

Thank you guys so much for the advice! Decision made. If by chance anyone happens to know of a stock double cab, 6 cyl, TRD, 1rst gen for sale within 400mi of sw Colorado please let me know...They must be pretty sought after because I don't see many for sale and the dealers so far don't seem to want to work with me on price at all...
In the mean time I have a lot more reading to do here. This sight is great!
Thanks again, Randy
Old 11-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
If you buy a truck with it already lifted I would recommend buying one that doesn't have the lift kit that cut your brackets off for the LCA. If you know what I mean!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
just inspect it and if it looks to be in good shape then go for it. its kinda like girls...unless you find a virgin...they all have been ridden a few times. as long as they are disease free and are in good shape then go for the ride.