Notices

Difference between rear stock trd bilstein hd shocks vs rear bilstein 5100

Old 11-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
TacomaGRG is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
TacomaGRG's Tacoma Gallery
Difference between rear stock trd bilstein hd shocks vs rear bilstein 5100

I know the 5100s will give me a smoother ride but are there any other differences? Are they as duarable as the HDs?
Old 11-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
well werth the money.5100s are 10 times the stock trd ones are.imo.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Are the 5100s longer, to give greater droop travel?
Old 11-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
The difference is that I actually enjoy going over speed bumps now because the feeling of the plush travel is so absolutely buttery smooth

The 5100's are about twice as beefy as the TRD stock Bilsteins.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
5100s give more travel and there valving gives a much better ride. And yes, there way beefier than stock TRD Billys
Old 12-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
hutchg is on a distinguished road
hutchg's Tacoma Gallery
OK, so I hate to sound uneducated about my shocks but.... what is on my 2010 DC Sport? I know they are Bilsteins but are they HD? some Toyota special order? 5100s?

If I have HD shocks and the 5100s give a bit softer, smoother ride then I'll get 5100s. or something else based on input from TW.

Thanks
Hutch
Old 12-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchg View Post
OK, so I hate to sound uneducated about my shocks but.... what is on my 2010 DC Sport? I know they are Bilsteins but are they HD? some Toyota special order? 5100s?

If I have HD shocks and the 5100s give a bit softer, smoother ride then I'll get 5100s. or something else based on input from TW.

Thanks
Hutch
The stock Billys are blue/yellow.The 5100's are silver.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
skichiiwa is on a distinguished road
skichiiwa's Tacoma Gallery
I HAVE 5100S IN THE FRONT BUT CONTEMPLATING PUTTING THEM ON THE BACK WHEN I MOUNT MY NEW WHEELS WHEN THEY COME IN. i TOO WONDER IF IT IS WORTH IT. i HAVE A CANOPY ON THE BACK OF MY SPORT DC. SO THE RIDE WILL BE SMOOTHER.

EXPLAIN SMOOTHER. IS THIS SOFTER OR STIFFER? I HONESTLY FIND MY TRUCK A LITTLE SOFT.

I JUST WANT TO JUSTIFY ME GOING TO BUY THESE. PLS TALK ME INTO IT OR OUT OF IT WITH SOME BETTER INFO.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'D LIKE TO HELP YOU OUT BUT I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE WHAT THE DIFFERENCES ARE. I'M SURE THE 5100 SHOCKS ARE VALVED A LITTLE STIFFER.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
softail is on a distinguished road
Name: wayne
softail's Tacoma Gallery
Hi I have a 2013 Tacoma TRD quad cab just installed a 2.5 leveling kit up front took it for a ride never lost the factory ride but then I stood back from my truck guess what she droops in the back so I decided to put a 1.5 lift block on the rear now I lost my factory ride so my question is if I purchase a set of bilestein 5100s for rear and cancel out the blocks would these shocks give me the same lift as the blocks and of course a smoother ride all info much appreciated regards Wayne
Old 11-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #12
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by softail View Post
Hi I have a 2013 Tacoma TRD quad cab just installed a 2.5 leveling kit up front took it for a ride never lost the factory ride but then I stood back from my truck guess what she droops in the back so I decided to put a 1.5 lift block on the rear now I lost my factory ride so my question is if I purchase a set of bilestein 5100s for rear and cancel out the blocks would these shocks give me the same lift as the blocks and of course a smoother ride all info much appreciated regards Wayne
5100s or any shock in the back does not give you any lift. You would need an AAL or new leaf pack. How did you lose factory ride in back but not in front?
Old 11-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #13
softail is on a distinguished road
Name: wayne
softail's Tacoma Gallery
I fine it hits a little harder on the rear with the 1.5 blocks installled
Old 11-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #14
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Another option is Ride Rite Air Bags to level the back, add to the weak rear leaf action, and I would go with the 5100s in back... I did on my 2005 DC when I added Ride Rites to stop the bottoming out ('Harsh Ride'). The 5100s were great.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:17 AM   #15
nealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Motor T, other duties as required. ;-)
Name: nealkas
nealkas's Tacoma Gallery
I would simply like a better ride.
Don't plan to lift or anything.

So, when my stock shocks need replacing, I can go with these 5100s I see everyone ALL-over TW raving about without doing any other lifting, etc?

Take old one off, put new one on, with minimal hassle.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:56 AM   #16
muddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
muddog67's Tacoma Gallery
I put 5100s on my truck about 6 months ago all the way around , Set the front at 1.25 and I am very pleased with them , five times better ride and handling around turns . Are they as good as fox shocks or higher end shocks / No but they make a huge difference . The rebound on a stock shock or rancho shocks are about 15 seconds , The rebound on 5100s are about 3 seconds so when you go over bumps the shock of the bump and rebound back to normal position is very smooth and quick .
Old 11-26-2014, 06:15 AM   #17
muddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
muddog67's Tacoma Gallery
ooppps Sorry , when I was speaking of rebound time I was referring doing the rebound test when shocks were off the vehicle and pushing down by hand . Carry on
Old 12-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #18
siKjiTz is on a distinguished road
siKjiTz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddog67 View Post
I put 5100s on my truck about 6 months ago all the way around , Set the front at 1.25 and I am very pleased with them , five times better ride and handling around turns . Are they as good as fox shocks or higher end shocks / No but they make a huge difference . The rebound on a stock shock or rancho shocks are about 15 seconds , The rebound on 5100s are about 3 seconds so when you go over bumps the shock of the bump and rebound back to normal position is very smooth and quick .
All you did was change shocks? Did you keep everything else the same? Ie springs and leafs? If so are your leaf springs flat?
Old 12-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #19
PoweredBySoy is a jewel in the roughPoweredBySoy is a jewel in the roughPoweredBySoy is a jewel in the rough
PoweredBySoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddog67 View Post
No coils or AAL? Rides good?
Old 12-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #20
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
I have to agree with everything said about the 5100's. I have them on all four corners. Front set at 0 with OME 883x coils and stock 2x1 leafs in back. It rides awesome ! My only complaint is I am on my second set of rears. The first ones leaked. Bilstien was nice enough to replace under warranty but now I noticed the other day the second set has some fluid seaming under where the boot is zip tide to the shock. Other then that I love these shocks.