Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Light Racing better for alignment than TC?

Old 11-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
DUDE MAN BRO
BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant future

Air Force: A.G.E.
Name: Hot Carl!!!
BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Light Racing better for alignment than TC?

ok so about a 1 1/2 months ago I installed my toytec ultimate with TC UCA's. These UCA's were recommended by many people on the forum and the Uniball design made sense to me that it would be better for alignment. After my suspension settled I needed another alignment. The settings were maxed out and perfect alignment could not be acheived. The technician there, being an FJ owner and Toyota enthusiast himself said I needed the Light Racing UCA's because they are more adjustable where the UCA connects with the HUB. Up until then I had no idea that the LR's were even adjustable.

Luckily I found the TC's used for $400 rather than the $670 new so I'm not so dissapointed if I have to buy the LR's. I just want to make sure that the adjustment on the LR's will give me what I need for alignment before I buy them. Any input from you more experianced suspension guys is greatly apprecitated. TIA
Old 11-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I have an absolutely perfect alignment with my tc's Im not sure whats wrong. Ive had 2 alignments since my coilovers and both have been perfect.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
mortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant future

Name: Michael
mortuusangelus's Tacoma Gallery
I would say take the truck to another shop... did the guy offer to order the LR UCAs for you? I smell dealer... lol
Old 11-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
DUDE MAN BRO
BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant future

I have the front C/O's set to approx. 2.5 inches. The very first time I had them do the alignment they also installed my duratracs and it was PERFECT. Since I did the install I was getting noise from the UCA. Turns out I simply had them too tight. All I did was loosen them and re-torque them to spec. Took care of the noise and just threw my alignment off a little bit. This is what I don't understand because the alignment now is WORSE than when I took it to them after torqueing the UCA's. I don't get how the suspension settling could make this big of a difference.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO View Post
I have the front C/O's set to approx. 2.5 inches. The very first time I had them do the alignment they also installed my duratracs and it was PERFECT. Since I did the install I was getting noise from the UCA. Turns out I simply had them too tight. All I did was loosen them and re-torque them to spec. Took care of the noise and just threw my alignment off a little bit. This is what I don't understand because the alignment now is WORSE than when I took it to them after torqueing the UCA's. I don't get how the suspension settling could make this big of a difference.
Somthing isnt right....Retorquing the bolt will have no affect on the alignment. Make sure the guy isnt drunk when doing the alignment.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
mortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant future

Name: Michael
mortuusangelus's Tacoma Gallery
I smell a scam.. sorry but any shop worth it's salt wouldn't be telling you to buy another set of UCAs.. they'd be telling you what they had to do to put it into alignment. Go to another shop...
Old 11-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got a question, are they telling you it wont work or does the alignment sheet actually say its not right?
Old 11-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I've had around 10 alignments with my TC UCA's and haven't had a problem yet. Something smells fishy.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
DUDE MAN BRO

I agree it just doesn't seem right. They're telling me that all the adjustments are maxed out. This doesn't make sense to me because my alignment was BETTER before I took it this time. I appreciate the comments guys. I'll be taking it to another shop Monday.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
I was always under the impression TC was able to get better alignment than LR. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems everyone else answered your question.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I've had 2 alignments done with my LRs and I have no issues or complaints. I have a 3" lift and everything is right in spec
Old 11-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like horseshit. My alignment guy has over 20 years experience, about 10 of it on the west coast working alignment with bro'd out trucks lifted 8, 10, 12 inches or more.

He absolutely RAVES about my TCs, loves them, says my truck is the easiest to work on lifted application he's worked with yet.

This line the tech's feedin' you sounds like BS to me.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #14
DUDE MAN BRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Sounds like horseshit. My alignment guy has over 20 years experience, about 10 of it on the west coast working alignment with bro'd out trucks lifted 8, 10, 12 inches or more.

He absolutely RAVES about my TCs, loves them, says my truck is the easiest to work on lifted application he's worked with yet.

This line the tech's feedin' you sounds like BS to me.
I agree. I'm hoping another shop will be open tomorrow to take it in.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #16
DUDE MAN BRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1man001 View Post
I would think that as your suspension settles it would get closer to factory spec as it would be going down closer to factory height.
this was my thought exactly... I would think that as the suspension settled the truck would lower and reduce the angle put on the UCA, thus making it easier to align...