1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leafs Springs or Air Bags?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by I Liquid I, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Nov 27, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list
    So im in the process of doing a lot of modifications to my Taco. Its either that or back to the dealer and getting a new one... since this one is pissing me off...

Anyhow, Billy 5100s are gonna be on way soon.

Now there is something else I need to change. Ive been noticing my leaf pack, which did not get the benefit of getting the TSB, is not handling weight very well. The ride is very harsh as well. So im debating what to so with my current leaf pack and I came upon some Air Bags Spring Helpers, or something like that. Link

So my question for you experts would be. Should I just get a new leaf set, like the new TSB one, or a or a OME Dakar Pack?

Should I then add an Air Bag Helper like this one or If I add that Air Bag Helper kit do I not need to replace my leaf set?

Please have in mind that I always have about 500 to 900+ LB in my bed. Any help would be greatly appreciated as im looking to order all that I need by Monday or Tuesday the latest.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Nov 27, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    i vote OME pack. i installed mine and love it! handles very well IMHO loaded and unloaded.

3. Nov 27, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    I Liquid I

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Too many mods to list
    There is plenty contact in the bumpstops. Maybe not as bad as it could be, but everytime I go and buy materials it sags and hits the bumpstops 24/7.

The arc could be better. Its not flat but it aint like it should be either.

I did look at Timbrens, but im not exactly sure what would be better between Timbrens and Firestone Air Bags

I might get an Air Compressor... gonna need it for the ARB locker im looking at I think...

By this you mean the OME Dakars right? Not the shocks and coils right? How smooth is the ride?

4. Nov 27, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    yosh2000

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    yes, OME dakar leafpack. its a truck, not a caddy, but i do think the ride smooths out when loaded. so if your running around w/ 5-900# in your bed all the time, i think you'll love the ride! plus, they make an extra HD leaf you can add to the pack, might want to look into that if your running that amount of weight in the bed on a normal basis.

5. Nov 27, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    I Liquid I

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Too many mods to list
    HAHAHA! Wouldnt hurt if it was smooth like one though. :D

But yeah, im between that one and the Deaver Pack... just that my wallet likes the Dakar Pack about 200+ times more...

6. Nov 27, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    yosh2000

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    what deaver pack are you looking at? from my understanding, all the deaver packs are not designed for carrying a load, but rather for offroad flexing?? are you talking about a custom pack?

i personally would go w/ the dakars over the deavers if you truly have that much weight in the bed all the time

7. Nov 27, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Airbags (Ride Rite by Firestone) worked great on my 2005 along with 5100s in the rear. This solved the bottoming out over every bump with any load (didn't know about TSBs and dealer was no help). You control the firmness with more or less air... fill valves installed next to license plate. 15 psi emptybed to light load, to 40 psi for heavy load worked for me in my double cab. (range is 10-100)

AirbagTest004_be181b5209beec34f8c3abd991547d1d055153e7.jpg

8. Nov 27, 2010 at 8:33 PM
    I Liquid I

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Too many mods to list
    Hmmm. In all the reading I did, I overlooked that. That does actually take them out of the equations. Thanks again! Even more rep to you!

9. Nov 27, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    yosh2000

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    ^ yea dude, np, thats what its all about here!! all the desert guys love the deavers for the flex, but supposedly they have just the same or less load capacity than the OEM toyota leafs.

do the dakars w/ the HD leaf. trdparts4u.com has both. also, i would suggest going all the way and getting the nitrocharger shocks to mate w/ the dakars as well.

10. Nov 27, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    I Liquid I

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Too many mods to list
    I see you kept the stock leafs. How is the ride with those and the Air Bag? Also, do you have to be re-pressuring the bags all the time depending on load?

11. Nov 27, 2010 at 8:42 PM
    I Liquid I

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Too many mods to list
    Are the Nitrochargers a lot better than the Billys? Cause the price sure is quite higher. I guess if I did Nitrochargers, then I should just change to the OME coils as well right? While with the Billy's I need to keep my stock coils. I think.

12. Nov 27, 2010 at 8:47 PM
    yosh2000

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    the dakar leafs give ~3" lift, therefore you need new rear shocks or an extender for your current shocks. i personally would just get the nitrochargers for the rear as they are designed to be matched w/ the dakar rear travel. even if you use and extender w/ your current rear shocks, they might run out of travel in compression...understanding what im saying?

everything im posting is talking about specifically w/ the rear, you dont need to change anything in the front. i personally ran 5100s at 2.5" lift w/ the dakars/nitrocharges in the rear.

13. Nov 27, 2010 at 8:54 PM
    I Liquid I

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Too many mods to list
    That makes perfect sense. Also, looked at TRDParts4u and found the HD kit at about 1k... I guess imma be spending a bit more than I wanted but I guess its for the best. Only thing that will still be in question I guess would be wether I still add some Timbrens or Firestone Air Bags along with the OME kit. I just want to be able to handle loads and have smooth ride TBH, because I drive way too damn much.

Not gonna lie, yall kicked ass with these questions and the incompetent wannabe mechanic OP... :D

14. Nov 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I went with the Firestone Airbags. At least for now.

My install was pretty quick and the air valves are in the bed storage boxes making it easy enough to check/fill them.

15. Nov 27, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    yosh2000

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    i personally would get the following and see if you really need the bags. i think it would be a whole lot easier than having to adjust air pressure all the time...

dakars: http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-7251
    bushings (required): http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-8340
    HD leaf: http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-8234
    ubolts (required): http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-8233
    nitrochargers: http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-7246
    carrier bearing drop (not required, but got rid of the vibes i had dn ~25mph, and only $11) - http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-8232

there, now you have a CHRISTmas list you can email to ensure you get exactly what you want!! also,im only coming up w/ $800 before shipping?

16. Nov 27, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    I Liquid I

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Too many mods to list
    Yeah. The kit that costs 1k is the one with the front shocks and coils as well. It comes with 886 coils but im asking them if they can ship it with the 885 coils, since I wont be using a winch or heavy bumper.

Also... thats one hell of a list... when its united with the repair im doing at this moment... stupid Drive Shaft... and stupid Universal Joints... and stupid Support Bearing... :bananadead:

17. Nov 27, 2010 at 9:52 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Ummm... the stock leafs were wrong for the truck and that is why I added the air bags. If I changed the springs, then I wouldn't need the Ride Rites...

I researched doing the Deaver springs, re-arcing the stock springs, etc. Those would all have made my ride hard all the time, when I only needed extra spring support with a load.

Off Road Warehouse recommended the Ride Rites and I was very, very happy with them.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

No, you add air only if you need more firmness or want to raise the truck... It lifted the truck close to two inches. I usually ran them at 15 psi for my light work loads and up to 30-40 psi for a camping trip with ice chests and gear in back.

You could install an onbaord air pump and do it from your cab... but adding air is so easy and fast... a couple of seconds blast of air changes the ride.

When I traded the '05 for the '10, I had the dealer remove them in case the new truck had the same lame springs (I was concerned, because they are also only 3 leaves).

Well, it has been nearly a year on the new truck, and the spprings have worked fine under the same conditions that caused the older one to bottom. So, I have a set of Ride Rites still sitting in a box here.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  18. Nov 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    I Liquid I

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Too many mods to list
    No thats exactly what I meant. I know you placed the Ride Rites because of the spring problem. I guess I asked in a weird way.

Are you planning on selling the Ride Rites? I guess I might end up using it if the OME springs dont perform as good as I need them to, though im doubting that from all im reading.

19. Nov 27, 2010 at 10:11 PM
    Crownedcustoms

Crownedcustoms Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gilbert
    Vehicle:
    07 dc 4x4 fox coilovers 20's & toyo mudders
    Fox coil-overs, Fox shocks, 20" Helo wheels, blowthough, Jl and focal system, Grillcraft grill, Toyo Mud terrains
    DO NOT GET DEAVERS! They just don't hold any weight. I had them and rode around hitting my bump stops constantly. I'm running the tsb's with an add a leaf. It seems to do the trick for me and they were free. OME's would be my next choice everyone here seems to love them.

20. Nov 27, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I have been tossing around the idea of air bags. My question is how are they offroad? Any issues with mud, rocks?

Products Discussed in

To Top