Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

3'' on 33s or a 6'' on 35s?

Old 08-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
branct06 has a spectacular aura aboutbranct06 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Thomas
branct06's Tacoma Gallery
3'' on 33s or a 6'' on 35s?

ok yall im looking at putting a lift on my truck, i cant decide between a 3'' on 33's or a 6'' on 35's???? any opinions and or pics???
Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
go with the 3'' looks alot cleaner to me.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
3" on 33's it looks sweet.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:35 AM   #4
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
definately 33's on a 3" lift
Old 08-08-2008, 05:35 AM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on how you use the truck. If you like to Off Road it alot, get a 3". If the truck only goes off pavement a few times a year and is usually a mall princess, get the 6".
Old 08-08-2008, 05:47 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
Depends on how you use the truck. If you like to Off Road it alot, get a 3". If the truck only goes off pavement a few times a year and is usually a mall princess, get the 6".
Are you sure?

I'd think the 6" lift would be better to fit 35's for more ground clearance. Now - depending on the type of lift, it might not flex worth pooooo. But then again, depending on what type of offroading you're gonna do - you might not need 'flex'.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:01 AM   #7
TPPJR is on a distinguished road
Navy: Retired Submarine Sonar Technician
TPPJR's Tacoma Gallery
You need to take in consideration what you are going to do about the added power loss of the 35's. Going from 33 to 35 makes a considerable difference.

I am new to the Tacos but have had an '87 since '88. I went from 32 to 35 and wasn't hardly able to make it move, practically lost 5th gear all together unless I was going down a long grade. You can gear it to help out but then the gears get real weak.

Also with the increased angles of a 6" and the fact that the front shafts spin all the time with the Taco you will most likely develop quite a bit of vibration from the high angles in the front. Fix for that is to go to a manual hub if you are going that high.

Thomas
Old 08-08-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Are you sure?

I'd think the 6" lift would be better to fit 35's for more ground clearance. Now - depending on the type of lift, it might not flex worth pooooo. But then again, depending on what type of offroading you're gonna do - you might not need 'flex'.
Look at the cross member in this pic. To me it doesn't look like your gaining any suspension clearance, and what gains you do get come from the tires, not the lift. You're also not gaining any flex.

They look awesome, yes. But if your more into Off Roading then I prefer the 3". Not to mention your gas mileage will go to shit with 35"s without regrearing.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
stock FTW!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPPJR View Post
You need to take in consideration what you are going to do about the added power loss of the 35's. Going from 33 to 35 makes a considerable difference.

I am new to the Tacos but have had an '87 since '88. I went from 32 to 35 and wasn't hardly able to make it move, practically lost 5th gear all together unless I was going down a long grade. You can gear it to help out but then the gears get real weak.

Also with the increased angles of a 6" and the fact that the front shafts spin all the time with the Taco you will most likely develop quite a bit of vibration from the high angles in the front. Fix for that is to go to a manual hub if you are going that high.

Thomas
You should regear with 33's anyway.......

The 6" lifts that you buy these days are designed to keep the axle shafts at their stock angles. And I believe there's some sort of kit that will drop the front diff also.

So why do you lift the truck to fit 33's? Cuz you want......what?

Don't you know...that when you're diseased in this hobby, your current tire size is never enough.

Hell - if you're gonna go 6" lift.... the ULTIMATE would be a solid axle swap!!

You guys are worried about gas mileage.... come on now.... after you throw skid plates, rock sliders, trail tools, spare parts, accessories, people, & whatever - you're not concerned about gas mileage. You can't tell me that the difference between 35's and 33's is a big concern in gas mileage.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #12
TPPJR is on a distinguished road
Navy: Retired Submarine Sonar Technician
TPPJR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You should regear with 33's anyway.......

The 6" lifts that you buy these days are designed to keep the axle shafts at their stock angles. And I believe there's some sort of kit that will drop the front diff also.

So why do you lift the truck to fit 33's? Cuz you want......what?

Don't you know...that when you're diseased in this hobby, your current tire size is never enough.

Hell - if you're gonna go 6" lift.... the ULTIMATE would be a solid axle swap!!

You guys are worried about gas mileage.... come on now.... after you throw skid plates, rock sliders, trail tools, spare parts, accessories, people, & whatever - you're not concerned about gas mileage. You can't tell me that the difference between 35's and 33's is a big concern in gas mileage.
You should regear with 33", you HAVE to with 35".

I would like to see the 6" lift that keeps the axles at the stock angles.

Thomas
Old 08-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
Ranger08 will become famous soon enough
Ranger08's Tacoma Gallery
Red face

How bad is the take off with 33's? I just bought a 09 and want to lift it and I am looking at a 3" Toytec and 33's.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #14
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I have absolutely no problem with my stock gearing on 33" tires. I didn't mount 33's to drag race!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #15
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
I don't have an issue with it. Its not going to win any drag races though.
Haha! I wasn't knocking your post..........
Quote:
Oh hell.. I bought the wrong tires!!

But Toy4Life is right, If you are concerned about acceleration you shouldn't lift your truck. IMO, a 33" tire, on a newer 05+ (can't speak for the 1st gen), under "normal" circumstances is fine. Its not that noticeable. Off-road I want more gear, but thats something that the stock tire size couldn't even provide.
I only just now realized how it may look that way.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #16
mudslingin44 will become famous soon enough

mudslingin44's Tacoma Gallery
i like the 6in coilover kit,plenty of flex and rides like a champ.ive wheeled mine a few times and have had no problems
Old 08-09-2008, 04:59 AM   #17
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh hell.. I bought the wrong tires!!

But Toy4Life is right, If you are concerned about acceleration you shouldn't lift your truck. IMO, a 33" tire, on a newer 05+ (can't speak for the 1st gen), under "normal" circumstances is fine. Its not that noticeable. Off-road I want more gear, but thats something that the stock tire size couldn't even provide.
On my 96 tacoma (3.4L manual w/ 4.10's stock) - the reason why I never put 33's on because I didn't wanna regear. With 32's - that was noticable enough for me in power loss. For a daily driver - I wanna be able to step on the gas and go - especially if you need it for passing or getting outta the way.

But that's me....
Old 08-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #18
gpspowell will become famous soon enoughgpspowell will become famous soon enough
Navy: Viet Nam Veteran 1964-1967
gpspowell's Tacoma Gallery
This is my daily driver. 2 1/2" OME with 33s and the 4.0L V6 has no issues with power on the street, on the freeway, or in the dirt. Plenty of clearance and great stability in the rough. Looks awesome as well (IMHO).