Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bumpy Suspension

Old 11-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
BBB1 is on a distinguished road
BBB1's Tacoma Gallery
Bumpy Suspension

I have a 2006 DC Tacoma TSS edition. The truck has always rode kind of bumpy. When you put some weight in the bed, it rides great. I lifted it with a pro comp stage 1 about 6 months ago. The bumpy ride is still there. If I put weight in the bed, it rides good. I know there are write ups about the TSB with the leafs but what I read it makes the ride more harsh. Does anyone else have this problem? I am looking for ideas to solve this. I am almost to the point of going get a box and putting sand bags in the back.

Also, How much better is the ride of the 5100 shocks over the stock SR5 shocks? I had bilsteins on my Z71 that was lifted and they were night and day when I put them on.

Thanks,
BBB1

Old 11-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Did your procomp kit use an add-a-leaf or a block?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
BBB1's Tacoma Gallery
Both. It came with the add a leaf and the 2 1/4 inch blocks. Did not like the way it sat with a load, so I changed the block to a 3 inch with 3 degree shims. The bumpy ride is the same when it was stock height.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
The coilspacer on the front will make for a harsh ride also if it is putting preload on the stock springs. So will an extra leaf for the rear. A rear block wont make it ride any stiffer. Leafs with more curvature, such as a 3 inch leaf pack, will make it more stiff usually.

Since it has always been a bumpy ride, maybe that's just how the suspension is on your truck and all tacomas. Have you ridden in another tacoma to see how tacomas ride - it may not be any more stiff than normal. I've driven 4x4s all my life so i'm used to it. For example, my truck has a stiff ride compared to a cadillac, but it is not unusually stiff at all for a truck.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
BBB1's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. I see your point. I thought the spacer in the front is just filler as the spacer is between the the top of the strut and the mounting on the frame. I have rode in a bring home truck the night before mine was ready. It was a TRD Sport. It was smoother than mine. The stiff ride doesn't bother me but the wife has hated it since I bought it new. It rides great with about 120 lbs in the bed. I had two ice chest in it the other day and it rode good. I got home and weighed them so I would know what kind of weight I could add to the rear of the bed. I am thinking sand bags in the spare tire wheel well. When I am hauling something, I can just take them out. I haul my trailer alot during deer season and my boat, about once a month starting in March. Just can't think of something that is more compact but weights more than sand.