Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear Icon's leaking...

Old 12-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Icon's leaking...

WTF? I just put these things on in March and have been off roading maybe 3 times, 8,000 or so miles. No jumping, just some truck trails and open desert. No heavy loads in the bed of truck either.

I emailed Icon, hopefully they can take care of this (at no cost).

I cleaned them off once on Friday, the canister was completely covered in oil as was the area of the frame where it's mounted. It's already starting to come back, can be seen lightly on top and bottom of canister.

Anyone have this happen?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, but I'll keep an eye on mine. Just went on a month ago.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
In the mean time have you tried tightening that JIC fitting?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
In the mean time have you tried tightening that JIC fitting?
Yea that's the first thing I thought of, it doesn't budge.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
try checking the nitrogen pressure on the end of the reservior. if they are overpressurized, i imagine that could force oil past the seals
Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
try checking the nitrogen pressure on the end of the reservior. if they are overpressurized, i imagine that could force oil past the seals
What pressure are they supposed to be at
Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

200 PSI IIRC.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #8

Left side was right at 200, right (leaky) side was at 170, so definitely a bad seal.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #9
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

well, i'd do what you can with icon then. hopefully they'll take care of you. if not, seals are pretty cheap, and the rebuild is not too hard if you decide to do it yourself.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillers_Rule View Post
Left side was right at 200, right (leaky) side was at 170, so definitely a bad seal.
Talk with Icon and see what they can do.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #11

Shock is still under warranty, Icon is sending me a new shock, when I get it I'll send the old one back
Old 12-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
OP is your last name Tiller by chance?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #13

Glad to see they made it right. Watching mine like a hawk now...
Old 12-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Glad to see they made it right. Watching mine like a hawk now...
great customer service on their part! glad to see it

i've doing the same, jandrews....i went right out and checked the nitrogen pressure when this thread started. checked it again this past weekend, just to make sure it's consistant. other than that, all you can do is clean them off after the trails and watch for leaks. i've also been checking mine for any play whenever i'm under the truck
Old 12-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter500ky View Post
OP is your last name Tiller by chance?
Nope, the Tiller in my name is in reference to my old motorcycle, TL1000R
Old 12-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #16
Banned
merrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to behold
merrit's Tacoma Gallery
just call them up and they will replace them FOC
Old 12-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #17

Got my new shock in today waiting for me when I got home

Just put it on now. Will send them my old one back tomorrow!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #18

good stuff!

would it be possible to ask them to let you know what seal went bad and why they think it went bad once they get them and break them open? i'm just curious. i'm assuming the outermost o-ring probably didn't seat right or got pinched