Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Axle shims causing vibes???

Old 12-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
-cluck
cluck024 is just really nicecluck024 is just really nicecluck024 is just really nicecluck024 is just really nicecluck024 is just really nice
Name: Robert
cluck024's Tacoma Gallery
Axle shims causing vibes???

I had coilovers installed with 1.5 inch AAL and used 3* axle shims. Thought that the shims were made for 2-3 inch of lift period. Just realized on toytec website that they were made for 2-3 inches of lift on rear. So my question is could this cause vibes from 5-15 mph?
Old 12-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
tacos is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
tacos's Tacoma Gallery
Probably not, alot of our trucks have the take off vibe after lifting mine included. There's many a thread on this subject but most come down to either axle shims or a carrier bearing drop. Maybe try the c/b drop.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
-cluck
cluck024 is just really nicecluck024 is just really nicecluck024 is just really nicecluck024 is just really nicecluck024 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacos View Post
Probably not, alot of our trucks have the take off vibe after lifting mine included. There's many a thread on this subject but most come down to either axle shims or a carrier bearing drop. Maybe try the c/b drop.

I put in the washers total of 1/4 inch and no difference. Just thought maybe take out shims and see if it corrects? Worth the effort?
Old 12-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Best thing is to change one thing at a time. You can always get lucky.

When I did my 3" lift, I had takeoff shudder 0-10mph. Shimmed the carrier bearing 1/4" and life is good now. No other changes needed, no vibes at any speed.

Take out all shims and see what your truck shows. Adjusting driveline angles can CAUSE shims as well as fix them, so the best thing is to lift and see if you *need* to address any shudders or vibes.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
I lifted mine a bit more than yours.

I tried the carrier bearing shims, didnt work

I tried the axle shims, didnt work

I tried both, didnt work

i am having a one piece CV driveshaft made this week, hopefully this will fix it

with all the torque my truck makes with all the FI mods and big tires, I was afraid it would break over time if I hammered it

Justin
Old 12-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
-cluck
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Best thing is to change one thing at a time. You can always get lucky.

When I did my 3" lift, I had takeoff shudder 0-10mph. Shimmed the carrier bearing 1/4" and life is good now. No other changes needed, no vibes at any speed.

Take out all shims and see what your truck shows. Adjusting driveline angles can CAUSE shims as well as fix them, so the best thing is to lift and see if you *need* to address any shudders or vibes.
So it could be the shims causing vibes instead of fixing them? If not what is the most you should drop carrier bearing with 3 inch front lift and 1.5 AAL?
Old 12-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluck024 View Post
So it could be the shims causing vibes instead of fixing them? If not what is the most you should drop carrier bearing with 3 inch front lift and 1.5 AAL?
Dude, there are no hard and fast answers with this stuff. Once you mod away from stock, it's the wild west.

Most aftermarket carrier bearing drop brackets drop 1 to 1.5 inches. I shimmed with grade 8 washers 1/4" and solved my problem, bingo/bango.

At this point, you pretty much have to experiment, see what helps, and what doesn't.

The only surefire kill method seems to be a double-cardan one piece driveshaft, but that's expensive and requires some extremely precise measurements.

Start by getting the axle shims outta there. Then adjust one item at a time. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
There is a max angle for u-joints to function properly. There is also a formula for finding the sweet spot. Measure your driveline angles.
I no longer have the book for this info, so I can't get the formula for you. Just search for driveline angle for u-joints. Someone else will know.
Don't guess, unless you enjoy replacing u-joints and driveshafts.

+1 on cv joints. They don't have the problems u-joints have.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
docbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

docbrown's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same AAL and shims along with the drive line vibration. Pulled out the shims and the vibrations were about 90% gone. I have a very slight vibration (more of a "hum" at about 18-20 mph). I am going to do some washers on the carrier bearing next weekend. All in all, I would say try removing the shims. Only took me about an hour to get them out and get everything back together.