Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Odd Toytec Lift Results...

Old 12-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
swendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
swendling12's Tacoma Gallery
Odd Toytec Lift Results...

I have a 2009 Reg Cab 4x4. I just installed the Toytec add a leafs and 5100's to the rear, and Toytec Coil-overs and LR Coil Overs to the front. According to Toytec, this should result in approx 2-2.5" of lift overall. The rear lift was done a month ago, and the front lift was done this week.

Before lifting the front, it measured ~35" to the bottom of the fender. It now is almost 40" so I somehow achieved 5" of lift from what should have been 2.5". I did not adjust the coil-overs and they are set dead center on the adjusting threads.

The rear is pretty much the same story, just without measurements. I measured my truck vs. a stock regular cab tonight, and the difference was about 5.5" in the front lift and 5" for the back lift.

So my question is how the heck did this happen. It all is installed correctly and by the instructions. Alignment of the front went fine. Despite shims in the rear, I am getting major vibrations and noises from the rear drive shaft, and some new intermittent vibrations from somewhere in the front. Has anyone else had this result, and can I really expect it to settle 3+ inches.

Thanks,

-Sean
Old 12-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
me to ha mines at 41"
Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of

Name: John
sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
you may not have installed it correctly but there in no way you have 5" of lift from tt coilovers
but you probably did it right it pretty idiot proof or at least i think
Old 12-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
swendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir1123 View Post
you may not have installed it correctly but there in no way you have 5" of lift from tt coilovers
but you probably did it right it pretty idiot proof or at least i think

Measurement from the hub is ~25", stock measurements from http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...t-2nd-gen.html is ~20". This correlates to my original measurement from the ground of 35" and current measurement of 40". So a 5" front lift overall from both sets of measurements. The back actually is closer to 4" lift overall, although I have a fiberglass cap on it, and have 100lbs of tools and recovery equip back there; so likely a 5" lift.

I'm wondering if the coilovers possibly were not assembled correctly by toytec. I bought the fully assembled ones not the kit. That is the only thing I can think of that could generate this result.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of

Name: John
sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
so measur from center of hub to top of fender?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir1123 View Post
so measur from center of hub to top of fender?
25"
Old 12-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
can you adjust the preload down?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #8

I'm sure I can, I just hadn't gotten to that point yet. I just don't understand why it resulted in that much lift out of the box.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:03 AM   #9
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Can you post a pic of the setup on the truck? Maybe we can tell if something isn't installed quite right.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #10
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I got a crap load from my shocks too! I didn't have the ones pre-assembled but the other set. I just lowered mine till it was at 38" and that was my 3".
Old 12-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #11

I wonder if they are using a stiffer spring now or something that is causing the difference. The shocks appear to be barely compressed if at all under full load; this would explain the rough ride I'm having since it seems like the shocks are slamming at the stops. I'll work on pics

I'm guessing that i'm just going to have to adjust them down a lot.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #12
stockplus is on a distinguished road
Name: L.J.
stockplus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Can you post a pic of the setup on the truck? Maybe we can tell if something isn't installed quite right.
+1

Can we see some pics?
Old 12-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
Did you get the 1.5" or the 2" aal?
Also being that you're a reg cab, 4cyl. You're alittle lighter than most of us, thus giving you more lift.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #14

Driver's Side, From the front

Old 12-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #15

Old 12-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #16

Pics are all of the driver's side. Passenger side is identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobox View Post
Did you get the 1.5" or the 2" aal?
Also being that you're a reg cab, 4cyl. You're alittle lighter than most of us, thus giving you more lift.
Yeah, i thought of this too. But still doesn't explain the 5" result.

It's the 2" leaf, or at least that's the lift advertised by toytec. My results were slightly different.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #17
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Its hard to tell when you turn the wheel when it compresses the boot already.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Its hard to tell when you turn the wheel when it compresses the boot already.
To tell what? I know my cv angles are out of spec. The pics were for those wanting reference to if I had installed the lift correctly or not. It was the only way to get a decent pic in the dark and with the wheel on.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Those look like they are installed fine, but you need to crank them down, otherwise, your gonna eat CV's.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Those look like they are installed fine, but you need to crank them down, otherwise, your gonna eat CV's.
Thanks! I'll drop it down 2 inches.