Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Broken rear shock Pics

Old 12-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
HarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
HarryTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Broken rear shock Pics

So a couple days ago, on my way to work in the morning, I ran over what appeared to be about a foot long shiny metal object with my front right wheel. It made a loud "clunk" noise. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but the next day the ride felt a bit boaty. So, I checked under the truck and this is what I found.

It broke off clean, like bone through flesh.

So, my question is I've been driving it in that state for almost a full day. Have I damaged anything? Maybe the leaf pack? Will I risk damaging anything if I drove it 30 hwy miles from work to home?

Also, I noticed my non-TSB leaf packs are almost perfectly horizontal with no weight in the bed of the truck. Does that mean they are shot?

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't take my word for it but I would say you haven't damaged anything by running without a shock. I'd check any lines that run around that area to make sure they weren't damaged (brake lines come to mind) but also any wiring in the area also just as a precaution. I don't think you'd do any damage driving it home but if you have another option I'd use it. Can you get the shock off so it can't get twisted and possible cause some more damage?
Old 12-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
HarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Thanks for the reply Pugga. So you think it's ok to drive the truck without a shock for a few days til the new one comes in? Or is that a stupid thing to do?
Old 12-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah forsure its fine to drive, just the dampening will be off so it will feel like a tuna boat. Just remove the shock so you dont puncture lines or tires or put a hole in your bed and drive it as much as you want.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Yeah forsure its fine to drive, just the dampening will be off so it will feel like a tuna boat. Just remove the shock so you dont puncture lines or tires or put a hole in your bed and drive it as much as you want.
Well put, my thoughts exactly. It'll be bouncy, just don't attempt any autocross or rally.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
Thanks guys. That puts me at ease. I've been meaning to go 5100's, this just made my decision easier. Dakar leaf packs are next.