Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear axle offset?

Old 12-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice

Name: Jason
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
Rear axle offset?

I discovered something odd when I was taking pictures of my truck this morning. It appears as though the rear axle is offset in my photos. The driveway is slightly angled and there is the lean to the truck to factor in, but even on flat ground it appears to be a bit much.

Can someone explain this to me? The left side looks sucked in and the right side is more out.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Are you still under warrantee? If yes, take it in....

It not, check your u-bolts & centering pins. Make sure the centering pins aren't broken and the leaf springs are sitting centered on each spring perch. Also, check your eyebolts & shackles too.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
that looks pretty bad, i'd check it asap like janster said
Old 12-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
hard to tell from the pics but check rear leafs / u bolts ect.....
Old 12-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice

Everything underneath appears straight. Leafs are sitting where they should on the shackles and u-bolts.

How do I check the centering pins?

What pictures would be more useful in diagnosing this?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

well have you messed with the rear end since you started to notice the alingment???
as for the centering pin the wheel would appear to not be centered in wheel well.....
do you have axle shims installed???
Old 12-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #7

The suspension is completely stock with no shims installed.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
BIG DADDY

Old 12-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #9

I just measured the difference in height. The right rear is 1/2" higher than the left rear, and the right front is 1/4" higher than the left front.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
The suspension is completely stock with no shims installed.
thats the taco lean....thats normal......
AS long as your u bolts are torqued adn the wheels are centered in the rear wheel wells...i wouldnt worry about it.....
Old 12-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #11

Well, I added enough weight (Subaru summer tires) to the right side to even it out. The offset is still there. It's just like the whole axle was shifted.

The only other thing I can think of is if the wheels aren't mounted straight.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #12
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Is the bed even with the cab on both sides?
Old 12-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #13

You're onto something 98'. It is not even. It is offset by the amount that would appear to make the wheel offsets seem equal if corrected.

How do I fix it?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #14
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Loosen your bed bolts

Move bed

Tighten bed bolts.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #15

I'm doing the additional bed D-rings at the same time and started playing with that before you posted. I can move it a little. I just hope it's enough. Thanks!

*edit* I can move it a lot after nudging it. There is plenty of adjustment room for it. I took out four of the bed bolts. I'll be sure to put them back in before getting crazy with the adjustments.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #16

Marines:
Old 12-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #17
BIG DADDY

DAM THAT 98 BANANA GUY IS OK HA.....
HE MUST BE A GENIUS