1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

vibration after installing 2.5 level kit

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by lbbisker, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Dec 5, 2010 at 6:06 AM
    lbbisker

lbbisker [OP] New Member

Member:
    nw sub chicago
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4*4
    I have a 07 Tacoma and I have recently installed a 2.5 inch level kit with the differential drop and rear 1 inch block. now when I hit 20 miles an hr I can feel a vibration. Any ideas? Not sure were to start.:confused:

2. Dec 5, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    Iluvtacos

Iluvtacos Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 trd sport 4x4
    6" procomp lift, grillecraft grille, painted vent shades, 33" procomp extreme AT tires, Moto Metal wheels, Fabtech side steps, Shocker classic train horn, about ten more things which I can't remember
    I have removed the diff drop then put it back, dropped the rear carrier bearing 1/4 inch till I got to 2 inches and then removed all shims, I even removed the front drive shaft thinking it might be the u-joints. I had a front end aligned and had the wheels balanced by a friend at the Toyota dealership. I can't get rid of the stinkin vibration.:frusty: I believe it has to do with the cv's angles. I have choosen to take out the front strut spacer lift and aal kit and maybe one day have a better more expensive lift put in professionally. I just hope the vibe goes away after returning to stock.

Sorry for the bad news but you never know, one of the fixes that didn't work for me may work for you.

3. Dec 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    kessler89

kessler89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    12' Pro4x 6MT
    TBA
    might wanna head over to suspension and hit the search button, there are about a million threads on it, i just started my own actaully lol

4. Dec 5, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    Its the diff drop

5. Dec 6, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    BenWA

BenWA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    As discussed in the million other threads that kessler mentioned, it's very likely a front diff bearing that is defective/shot. Try switching into 4Hi and see if the vibes suddenly disappear, and then reappear upon switching back to 2Hi. If so, front diff is likely shot. This situation seems to be worsened in many cases by using a diff drop.

6. Dec 7, 2010 at 1:43 AM
    yodaman

yodaman Active Member

Member:
    Bellingham
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4 V6 Automatic
    Yokohama tires Skyjacker canopy add more later
    Welcome to my world. We have the same truck. I believe I have a 2.5 leveling kit also but it may be a bit less. I get the vibs at 20 and 40mph. Some days are worse than others. I had the 20 mph vibs TSB done a few days ago (see my post) and dropped the carrier bearing with a piece of aluminum made by tacomaman06. It helped out a bit. Earlier today I tried to lower the carrier bearing a bit more but the bolts were too short. Made a trip to Lowes for new bolts. I was unable to get the nuts off the carrier bearing cross bar. I'm not sure if they're welded on or what. Stripped my bolts trying to put the stock ones back in. Luckily my neighbor came over and saved the day. Good luck if you find a solution..and trust me, I've tried to deal with it but eventually snapped. This truck is starting to frustrate me but I'm attempting to stay loyal to Toyota. My problem was not knowing these trucks don't handle lifts all that well but man do they look good. Good luck and keep us updated.

7. Dec 17, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    beacher

beacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TACOMA 4x4
    2" spacer lift in front end bf goodrich allterrain tires custom exhaust system tinted windows smelly interior
    okay soo... im having the same problem with a 2'' leveling kiti put in on my 09 tacoma.. a vibration in the front end. i cant figure out what it is .. maybe something with angle of cv joints? everything sits soo much differently. If i dont figure out the problem within afew more days im going to uninstall and go back to stock. can anyone help?

8. Dec 19, 2010 at 3:16 PM
    sanga700

sanga700 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Red Tacoma SR5 4x4 V6 6sp
    TRD intake Airbox,4 corners 5100 front set @ 2.5".Rear TSB,1.5" Toytec AAL,skid plate.running board, EGR in channel sun visors,Valetine one radar detector, 17x8.5 Black MB Wheels. 265/70/17 Handkook Dynapro ATM
    I had 5100's on all 4 corners set 2.5" and rear TSB , 1.5"aal . I dont have any vibrations at any speeds at all either Im on 2WD or 4WD.

9. Dec 19, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    sanga700

sanga700 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Red Tacoma SR5 4x4 V6 6sp
    TRD intake Airbox,4 corners 5100 front set @ 2.5".Rear TSB,1.5" Toytec AAL,skid plate.running board, EGR in channel sun visors,Valetine one radar detector, 17x8.5 Black MB Wheels. 265/70/17 Handkook Dynapro ATM
    What is leveling kit ? is it spacers kit ?

10. Dec 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    jamesnev

jamesnev Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    British Columbia
    anyone ever find out what was causing the vibration? I just install a 2.5 level tonight and im getting this same thing.

11. Dec 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    jimalan1989

jimalan1989 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Columbus, MS
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed SR5
    NONE
    heres a question, did you have to remove the driveshat? if so did you index it to the diff. their balanced and sometimes if they dont go back the way they came out they can cause a vibration.

12. Dec 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM
    jamesnev

jamesnev Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    British Columbia

I didnt have to do anything to the drive shaft. and means its only a 2.5 i dont need a diff drop.

its more of a vibration sound than actually shaking. Its almost like the noise from the driving at 80km is echoing in the wheel wells, but a leveling kit wouldnt do anything for noise.

anyone have any ideas?

im taking it to realine tomorrow and see if that fixes it

13. Dec 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    beacher

beacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TACOMA 4x4
    2" spacer lift in front end bf goodrich allterrain tires custom exhaust system tinted windows smelly interior
    i took my level kit out of my truck a while ago (just went back to stock) and the front end has never been the same.. it wwanders and handles awful even after another alignment. maybe there was too much strain on the cv's?

14. Dec 12, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    jamesnev

jamesnev Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    British Columbia
    After i got it alined today it seems to be alot better. There is still a low sound from the drivers side. Guy at the alinement shop said it was due to being higher and the noise from the tires would be more noticeable..

not to sure what to make of that, first truck and first time doing any kinda of add on's and mods to it.

15. Dec 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Diff drops suck and don't do anything but cause issues. Make sure everything is tight and go with coilovers next time.....I've had just about every type of lift and have been good (cv's too).

16. Dec 12, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    junkman

junkman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Louisville
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4x4 5 speed Access Cab
  17. Dec 17, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    gnarcal

gnarcal Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's SPC Performance upper control arms Diff drop 1.5° shims Carrier bearing drop 1" AL blocks in rear
    OK, first of all spacer lifts suck. So if you run coil spacers and you have issues remove that crap.
    My lift includes: bilstein 5100 adjustable ride height front shocks set at the maximum height position, 1 in rear lift blocks with 1.5° rear shims, 1/2" carrier bearing drop, differential drop and most importantly SPC upper control arms.

My 09 taco had a weird groaning vibration at 35mph or thereabouts. I spoke with a guy on the phone who claimed be the inventor of the differential drop. He told me that my vibration (only at that speed) was caused by a needle bearing somewhere in the front transfer case that is designed to be at a certain position and under a certain amount of pressure. When the 2nd Gen taco is lifted without a lowering brace the positioning is altered. This relieves pressure on the needle bearing allowing it to vibrate at speed. He also said that he opened this part on a taco with over 140,000 miles on it and nothing in the transfer case, including the needle bearing, had any damage or unusual wear on any parts.

Also, I INSTALLED SPC PERFORMANCE UPPER CONTROL ARMS. in my opinion this is a must with 2" to 3.75" lifts when a full lift kit is not used. The UCA's provide and increased range of camber adjustability.
    These UCA's are sick too. The ball joints are massive. Their part number begins with LR for light racing.
    I bought them because the outside edge of my tires was wearing prematurely. This is caused by inappropriate camber adjustment. The SPC UCA's allow you to position the tires flat on the road again.
    If you have aggressive tires and the camber is off your truck will vibrate because you are driving heavily on the outside corner knobs. On a light weight truck like the Tacoma you will undoubtedly feel a very noticeable vibration coming through the gas pedal.

As for the vibration, now it is barely noticeable at 30 MPH so I don't really care.

Again, if you have add-a-leaf and/or coil spacers then a vibration and harsh ride is inevitable. Its just a cheap set up that may very well damage your vehicle over time.

18. Dec 31, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    PowderDay

PowderDay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD
    Bilstein 2.5in Shocks, 1in. spacer in front and rear, ARB Bull Bar Bumper, Phillips HID 6000k, Black Badges (Plasti-Dip), Goodyear Duratrac 285/75/16,
    I have had the exact same vibrations you guys are experiencing.

Asd many have stated, the problem was the Diff drop. It reduces the angle of your cv joints, but increases the angle coming into the diff.

I took the diff drop out and the truck drives smooth as ever. To hell with those diff drops. I am surprised they are still for sale since they create problems and dont really solve any (<3in of course).

19. Jan 5, 2014 at 11:44 AM
    stutz

stutz Member

Member:
    Roslyn Wa.
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5
    2.5 leveling kit
    Does anyone know if the 2.5 leveling kit voids the trucks warranty?

20. Jan 5, 2014 at 4:43 PM
    stutz

stutz Member

Member:
    Roslyn Wa.
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5
    2.5 leveling kit
    I spent the day going to all my friends that own 05 and up tacomas, 8 of them, and crawled under and shook the cv joint, they all had the same amount of play as mine. And they all said they felt a vibration between 5 and 45 mph. Its not the lifts were installing its a manufacturing flaw. Toyota needs to man up and address this problem!

Products Discussed in

To Top