Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

vibration after installing 2.5 level kit

Old 12-05-2010, 06:06 AM   #1
lbbisker is on a distinguished road
lbbisker's Tacoma Gallery
vibration after installing 2.5 level kit

I have a 07 Tacoma and I have recently installed a 2.5 inch level kit with the differential drop and rear 1 inch block. now when I hit 20 miles an hr I can feel a vibration. Any ideas? Not sure were to start.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
Iluvtacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvtacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvtacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvtacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvtacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvtacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvtacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvtacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvtacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvtacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvtacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rich
Iluvtacos's Tacoma Gallery
Strut spacer lift kits don't work with 4x4's

I have removed the diff drop then put it back, dropped the rear carrier bearing 1/4 inch till I got to 2 inches and then removed all shims, I even removed the front drive shaft thinking it might be the u-joints. I had a front end aligned and had the wheels balanced by a friend at the Toyota dealership. I can't get rid of the stinkin vibration. I believe it has to do with the cv's angles. I have choosen to take out the front strut spacer lift and aal kit and maybe one day have a better more expensive lift put in professionally. I just hope the vibe goes away after returning to stock.

Sorry for the bad news but you never know, one of the fixes that didn't work for me may work for you.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbbisker View Post
I have a 07 Tacoma and I have recently installed a 2.5 inch level kit with the differential drop and rear 1 inch block. now when I hit 20 miles an hr I can feel a vibration. Any ideas? Not sure were to start.
might wanna head over to suspension and hit the search button, there are about a million threads on it, i just started my own actaully lol
Old 12-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Its the diff drop
Old 12-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
As discussed in the million other threads that kessler mentioned, it's very likely a front diff bearing that is defective/shot. Try switching into 4Hi and see if the vibes suddenly disappear, and then reappear upon switching back to 2Hi. If so, front diff is likely shot. This situation seems to be worsened in many cases by using a diff drop.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:43 AM   #6
yodaman will become famous soon enough
Marines: Infantry Sergeant
yodaman's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to my world. We have the same truck. I believe I have a 2.5 leveling kit also but it may be a bit less. I get the vibs at 20 and 40mph. Some days are worse than others. I had the 20 mph vibs TSB done a few days ago (see my post) and dropped the carrier bearing with a piece of aluminum made by tacomaman06. It helped out a bit. Earlier today I tried to lower the carrier bearing a bit more but the bolts were too short. Made a trip to Lowes for new bolts. I was unable to get the nuts off the carrier bearing cross bar. I'm not sure if they're welded on or what. Stripped my bolts trying to put the stock ones back in. Luckily my neighbor came over and saved the day. Good luck if you find a solution..and trust me, I've tried to deal with it but eventually snapped. This truck is starting to frustrate me but I'm attempting to stay loyal to Toyota. My problem was not knowing these trucks don't handle lifts all that well but man do they look good. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
beacher is on a distinguished road
beacher's Tacoma Gallery
okay soo... im having the same problem with a 2'' leveling kiti put in on my 09 tacoma.. a vibration in the front end. i cant figure out what it is .. maybe something with angle of cv joints? everything sits soo much differently. If i dont figure out the problem within afew more days im going to uninstall and go back to stock. can anyone help?
Old 12-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
sanga700 will become famous soon enoughsanga700 will become famous soon enough
sanga700's Tacoma Gallery
I had 5100's on all 4 corners set 2.5" and rear TSB , 1.5"aal . I dont have any vibrations at any speeds at all either Im on 2WD or 4WD.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
sanga700 will become famous soon enoughsanga700 will become famous soon enough
sanga700's Tacoma Gallery
What is leveling kit ? is it spacers kit ?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
MooseKnuckle is on a distinguished road
MooseKnuckle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvtacos View Post
I have removed the diff drop then put it back, dropped the rear carrier bearing 1/4 inch till I got to 2 inches and then removed all shims, I even removed the front drive shaft thinking it might be the u-joints. I had a front end aligned and had the wheels balanced by a friend at the Toyota dealership. I can't get rid of the stinkin vibration. I believe it has to do with the cv's angles. I have choosen to take out the front strut spacer lift and aal kit and maybe one day have a better more expensive lift put in professionally. I just hope the vibe goes away after returning to stock.

Sorry for the bad news but you never know, one of the fixes that didn't work for me may work for you.
you said "I believe it has to do with the cv's angles."

(2009 taco xcab 4x)
first I lifted the front 2.5" with blstn5100's. So at that time I had stock struts and 0" lift in the rear. For that couple of days I had no vibrations whatsoever. Then I added 1" block and blstn5100s. And I got some fairly minor vibes I am currently trying to correct.
SO I think that might eliminate CV angle as a culprit.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
jamesnev is on a distinguished road
Name: James
jamesnev's Tacoma Gallery
anyone ever find out what was causing the vibration? I just install a 2.5 level tonight and im getting this same thing.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
jimalan1989 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jimmy
jimalan1989's Tacoma Gallery
heres a question, did you have to remove the driveshat? if so did you index it to the diff. their balanced and sometimes if they dont go back the way they came out they can cause a vibration.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimalan1989 View Post
heres a question, did you have to remove the driveshat? if so did you index it to the diff. their balanced and sometimes if they dont go back the way they came out they can cause a vibration.

I didnt have to do anything to the drive shaft. and means its only a 2.5 i dont need a diff drop.

its more of a vibration sound than actually shaking. Its almost like the noise from the driving at 80km is echoing in the wheel wells, but a leveling kit wouldnt do anything for noise.

anyone have any ideas?

im taking it to realine tomorrow and see if that fixes it
Old 12-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
beacher is on a distinguished road
beacher's Tacoma Gallery
i took my level kit out of my truck a while ago (just went back to stock) and the front end has never been the same.. it wwanders and handles awful even after another alignment. maybe there was too much strain on the cv's?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by beacher View Post
i took my level kit out of my truck a while ago (just went back to stock) and the front end has never been the same.. it wwanders and handles awful even after another alignment. maybe there was too much strain on the cv's?
After i got it alined today it seems to be alot better. There is still a low sound from the drivers side. Guy at the alinement shop said it was due to being higher and the noise from the tires would be more noticeable..

not to sure what to make of that, first truck and first time doing any kinda of add on's and mods to it.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Diff drops suck and don't do anything but cause issues. Make sure everything is tight and go with coilovers next time.....I've had just about every type of lift and have been good (cv's too).
Old 12-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #17
junkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant future
Name: Erik
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a good possiblity -- as BenWA posted -

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...on-thread.html

Needle bearing is bad design, there is a replacement available - read above thread.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #18
gnarcal is one of the sharper tools in the shedgnarcal is one of the sharper tools in the shedgnarcal is one of the sharper tools in the shedgnarcal is one of the sharper tools in the shedgnarcal is one of the sharper tools in the shedgnarcal is one of the sharper tools in the shedgnarcal is one of the sharper tools in the shedgnarcal is one of the sharper tools in the shedgnarcal is one of the sharper tools in the shedgnarcal is one of the sharper tools in the shedgnarcal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Max
gnarcal's Tacoma Gallery
OK, first of all spacer lifts suck. So if you run coil spacers and you have issues remove that crap.
My lift includes: bilstein 5100 adjustable ride height front shocks set at the maximum height position, 1 in rear lift blocks with 1.5° rear shims, 1/2" carrier bearing drop, differential drop and most importantly SPC upper control arms.

My 09 taco had a weird groaning vibration at 35mph or thereabouts. I spoke with a guy on the phone who claimed be the inventor of the differential drop. He told me that my vibration (only at that speed) was caused by a needle bearing somewhere in the front transfer case that is designed to be at a certain position and under a certain amount of pressure. When the 2nd Gen taco is lifted without a lowering brace the positioning is altered. This relieves pressure on the needle bearing allowing it to vibrate at speed. He also said that he opened this part on a taco with over 140,000 miles on it and nothing in the transfer case, including the needle bearing, had any damage or unusual wear on any parts.

Also, I INSTALLED SPC PERFORMANCE UPPER CONTROL ARMS. in my opinion this is a must with 2" to 3.75" lifts when a full lift kit is not used. The UCA's provide and increased range of camber adjustability.
These UCA's are sick too. The ball joints are massive. Their part number begins with LR for light racing.
I bought them because the outside edge of my tires was wearing prematurely. This is caused by inappropriate camber adjustment. The SPC UCA's allow you to position the tires flat on the road again.
If you have aggressive tires and the camber is off your truck will vibrate because you are driving heavily on the outside corner knobs. On a light weight truck like the Tacoma you will undoubtedly feel a very noticeable vibration coming through the gas pedal.

As for the vibration, now it is barely noticeable at 30 MPH so I don't really care.

Again, if you have add-a-leaf and/or coil spacers then a vibration and harsh ride is inevitable. Its just a cheap set up that may very well damage your vehicle over time.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
PowderDay is on a distinguished road
Name: Nic
PowderDay's Tacoma Gallery
I have had the exact same vibrations you guys are experiencing.

Asd many have stated, the problem was the Diff drop. It reduces the angle of your cv joints, but increases the angle coming into the diff.

I took the diff drop out and the truck drives smooth as ever. To hell with those diff drops. I am surprised they are still for sale since they create problems and dont really solve any (<3in of course).
Old 01-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #20
stutz is on a distinguished road
stutz's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know if the 2.5 leveling kit voids the trucks warranty?