Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

TRD Offroad ride onroad

Old 12-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
h50lholl is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryant
h50lholl's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Offroad ride onroad

Looked at new tacomas yesterday. Drove a DC 4x4 TRD sport. Really liked the ride on the highway, curves ect.

At the time I did not really know the diff. in the TRD sport and the TRD off road. I understand the difference now.

How much different is the onroad ride and handleing of the TRD offroad vs the TRD sport

I like the Off road more as far as the E locker and the looks.

I drive a curvey, hilly two lane Hwy about 40 mile each way to work and back every day. Would the sport be alot better on that type road or is there little difference?
Old 12-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
i am not completely sure, but i test drove an OR before i got the sport and they seem about the same, the sport might have a little smoother ride but its not something that is really noticeable.

but correct me if im wrong since i'v only driven the OR once
Old 12-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Don't worry about it. You're going to replace the suspension anyway if you keep hanging around here.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #4

Another thing I like is the AT tires on the OR

I will take the truck Off road some and the locker will probley get used. Of corse It will still be used onroad 90% of the time and I average about 120 mile behind the wheel on weekdays.

The only thing that the sport has going for it for me is the better ride onroad (if it is really that much better)
Old 12-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Don't worry about it. You're going to replace the suspension anyway if you keep hanging around here.
he speaky the truth^^^^^ go with the offroad
Old 12-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I think the springs are different on the sport in the front but I could be wrong. Either way like stated above. You stay on here and I bet you slap a set of Billy's 5100's on there anyway. I love my off-road.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
The Offroad rides a bit stiffer over the road because its front coil springs are progressive rate. Offroad, it's tuned VERY well for a stock suspension - those stiffer springs alongside good shock valving help it soak up hits well. Trucks ride stiff - it's how they should be.

That said, I'm serious, if you hang around here, you're going to get the mod bug and put something from the aftermarket under it.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
The trd sports have thicker sway bars, but really if you hang out here it will be sitting behind your garage like mine, along with your stock suspension in the garage.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
Sq0nk has much to be proud ofSq0nk has much to be proud ofSq0nk has much to be proud ofSq0nk has much to be proud ofSq0nk has much to be proud ofSq0nk has much to be proud ofSq0nk has much to be proud ofSq0nk has much to be proud ofSq0nk has much to be proud of
Sq0nk's Tacoma Gallery
IMHO the Offroad ride is pretty soft/mushy from the factory. I had the truck for about 3 weeks before having 5100's installed @ all four corners (as well as the rear TSB). The ride is much improved. It's a little stiffer but the ride seems more controlled if that makes sense.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
I was torn between the two trucks....i liked the offroad only for the rear diff lock AND I liked the sport for the hood scoop, painted door handles/mirrors/bumper and car-like handling (sporty handling).

I went for the hood scoop truck
Old 12-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #11
trdtaco10 will become famous soon enough

trdtaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Agreed! Had it not been for TW, I probably wouldn't be lifting mine! Only had mine for 6 months and got the 5100's under it now and its about to go further towards the sky thanks to toytec! Go for the OR. You'll like the locker when you need it more than that hood scoop or painted bumper/handles/mirrors.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #12
Switek is on a distinguished road

Switek's Tacoma Gallery
+1

Well, I have had both...a 2005 DC OR model, now a 2010 DC Sport..

I agree-I had a 05 DC OR, and loved it. did a 2" spacer lift later on, but of course the ride quality suffered-as i knew it would. Just couldn't afford coil overs..

Now, I have had my 2010 DC Sport for 12 months. The ride is way different-
I noticed you were in AL, BTW. I'm in the Pelham area, and take 31 to work most days, travel distance round 12 miles one way, and don't get a lot of trail time in anyway. The sport seems softer to me, but at the end of the day I wanted that damn hood scoop! Aaaand, with tax season on the way, I'm doing my lift research now-It'll be sometime next year for me, saving my pennies for new shoes as well. The Dunflops gotta go....
Old 12-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #13
Back in the game!
Wile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Wile's Tacoma Gallery
If it wasn't for the locker on my '08, I would have gone with the sport. The locker makes a big difference offroad. New TRD Offroad Tacomas also come A-TRAC along with the e-locker. If you plan to offroad AT ALL. Get the TRD Offroad. My .02
Old 12-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #14

Its been done. Just order a DC OR pyrite mica 2011 tacoma. Cant wait to get it!
Old 12-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
toddt is on a distinguished road

Name: todd
toddt's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats!
Old 12-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #16
Back in the game!
Wile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by h50lholl View Post
Its been done. Just order a DC OR pyrite mica 2011 tacoma. Cant wait to get it!
SAWEET! Congrats, now what are you going to mod first?!
Old 12-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
shoulda got the sport for the color matched bumpers, grill, handles.....and the scooped hood
Old 12-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #18
Back in the game!

Wile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
shoulda got the sport for the color matched bumpers, grill, handles.....and the scooped hood
HEY! I think he made an excellent choice. Color matched trim doesn't get you out of trouble offroad. E-locker and A-trac does. FUNCTION over FORM all day any day. My .02
Old 12-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #19
VanCity Taco.
ilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to behold

ilg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
Meh, its easy enough to swap those out for the matched ones. Swapping out a locker... thats a little harder.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #20
Sq0nk has much to be proud ofSq0nk has much to be proud ofSq0nk has much to be proud ofSq0nk has much to be proud ofSq0nk has much to be proud ofSq0nk has much to be proud ofSq0nk has much to be proud ofSq0nk has much to be proud ofSq0nk has much to be proud of
Sq0nk's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the truck. I think you'll be more than pleased with your decision. Now comes all the modding