1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

why would you remove your sway bar

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by stephejm, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Dec 5, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    stephejm

stephejm [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    chesapeake, va
    yeh im some what new to some of this stuff. so i was wondering why would someone remove their sway bar? would that not put a lot of stress on your suspension?

2. Dec 5, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    We wouldn't want to stress something responsible for keeping your whole truck off the ground would we?! ;)

Swaybar just decreases body roll (decreases chance of rollover), but it also limits suspension travel on these trucks. Most of us that wheel pull 'em for the extra droop.

Suspension may have to work a wee bit harder, but I doubt it'd be enough to make a difference.

3. Dec 5, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Some folks remove it to get better flex up front and better articulation overall. I would personally not do it, but to each his own.

4. Dec 5, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    STREET ON

OFF ROAD OFF

That is the krux of the biscuit.

5. Dec 5, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Try sir ching

6. Dec 5, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    It allows things to bend back and forth as in articulation which is a good thing off road, it is one of the many things that are lacking in todays off the showroom floor vehicles.
    The only reason we have sway bars now is people drive far beyond their ability and then when they crash they call a lawyer to blame others

7. Dec 6, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    stephejm

stephejm [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    chesapeake, va
    thank you for everyone that replied, its appreciated. now i do have to say jdkeller, i wouldnt have started a thread about this if i had found my answers else where. i appreciate the advice though.

8. Dec 6, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I don't mean google. I mean on this site. There are lots of threads with a ton of info to read up on.

I have mine of. At first, driving on the road it seems sketchy. But it's just because your not used to the body roll. I like it because the ride on road and off is more comfortable. More articulation.

9. Dec 6, 2010 at 11:23 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap

Sir Ching passed away last month:(

10. Dec 6, 2010 at 11:27 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Is that a joke? Lol. That's a real person?

11. Dec 9, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    Grande

Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thomas, The little truck that could
    Painted badges. Bedlined grille, wheels and lower valence. Billies 5100 @.85 up front. Dodger Jack Ball Mod. Custom trail damaged rear bumper (for the time being). Lil LED light bar on grill. Hard-wired Radar Det. Custom Projector fog lights, Anytime Fog Mod, HIDS, White LED accent lighting on a Single post double toggle swicht, so they light up wit my door/dome light, or always on, or never on. LED map and dome lights.
    :rofl:

Products Discussed in

To Top