1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

vibration in the rear end

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by nrspence, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Dec 5, 2010 at 10:13 PM
    nrspence

nrspence [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Monroe, Utah
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma
    OME 881/bilstein 5100's JBA upper control arms. All pro expo leafs rough country 2.0 rear shocks.
    I have an 08 2.7L regular cab 4x4 tacoma with 38,000 miles on it. I bought the truck with 500 miles on it. I installed a 3 inch tough country lift with the add a leaf in the rear six months ago. Every since i installed the lift I here a grinding vibrating noise somewhere in the rear half of my truck when I let off the gas pedal or push in the clutch when im going over 55 mph. When im pushing on the gas pedal i don't get any noise and the truck sounds fine. I only get the noise when im coasting or off the gas. I thought it might be the driveline angle because of the lift so i installed 3 degree shims, but the shims did not solved the problem. The rear differental is stock and all i've done to it is change the oil 8 thousand miles ago to full synthetic, so i can not imagine that is the problem. Has anyone had a similar problem or does anyone have any ideas what is makeing the grinding vibrating noise? Thanks

2. Dec 5, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    SurfInferno

SurfInferno Dont be stupid, its not smart.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 DC
    could be tranny?

3. Dec 5, 2010 at 10:26 PM
    SurfInferno

SurfInferno Dont be stupid, its not smart.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 DC
  4. Dec 5, 2010 at 10:35 PM
    Tckwarrior

Tckwarrior Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Damascus OR
    Vehicle:
    08 RegCab Superwhite
    3 inch revtek lift,American Eagle 197 Black Wheels 17x9 Boltpattern 6x5.5 , 285/70/17's with BFG km2s U-haul class 3 tow hitch, Better built toolbox. Trail-gear 58 inch Rock-sliders
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I had this same problem after I installed my revtek lift and drove with it for a couple thousand miles. I became very annoyed with the noise and began reading the forums for solutions. Someone on the TTORA forum suggested switching (fliping end for end) the rear driveshaft to solve the problem. It worked like a charm and I haven't had a problem since. Before I fliped the driveshaft I took the truck to Gresham Toyota and they said it was the rear differential. They replaced the rear Differential assembly under warranty, this didn't fix the problem. Fliped the shaft end for end and it worked like magic. The single cab Tacomas are the only ones you can flip the driveshaft end for end because they only have single cardon joints on each end of the shaft. Good luck, took me an hour to do it myself.

5. Dec 6, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    nrspence

nrspence [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Monroe, Utah
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma
    OME 881/bilstein 5100's JBA upper control arms. All pro expo leafs rough country 2.0 rear shocks.
    Hey thanks for the info. I'll try fliping the driveshaft.

Products Discussed in

To Top