Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lift Advice Please

Old 12-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
Vegas H.R Robber is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Vegas H.R Robber's Tacoma Gallery
Lift Advice Please

1st off, I did read the sticky on this subject so without asking for a ton of info, I've narrowed it down to the following question.

My vehicle, 08' Prerunner, Crew Longbed. 4x2.
I plan on putting 265x70x16's on it.

My question is this: What is the cheapest 3" lift KIT I could put on without causing anoying and constant front-end issues? Keep in mind, I'm not going to be doing much off roading, if at all.

I don't want a piece of crap set-up although I don't need a bad ass off road set up either. I dont' want to deal with constant issues with alighnment issues either. I see kit's online for less than $500 but something tells me I'm asking for trouble so, what direction should I go in. I'm hoping I could do this for no more than $700 installed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Mike
Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
Do you want 3" or will 2.5" do it for you? You could do Bilstein 5100's on all four corners for $283, and add an AAL or small block in the rear. Lots of people use them without much worry. Also, you can get a 265/70-16's on a stock truck...actually, isn't that the stock tire size for the 16" wheels? I have a Sport, and could fit 265/70-17's on without a lift no problem. You might want to look at 265/75-16?! I have just over 2.5" of lift on my truck, and it makes a lot of difference visually, and I'll have less worry about CV's and what not...that is why I chose to go for 2-2.5" of lift over the 3". There are pics in my gallery if you want to peep them out.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
Do you want 3" or will 2.5" do it for you? You could do Bilstein 5100's on all four corners for $283, and add an AAL or small block in the rear. Lots of people use them without much worry. Also, you can get a 265/70-16's on a stock truck...actually, isn't that the stock tire size for the 16" wheels? I have a Sport, and could fit 265/70-17's on without a lift no problem. You might want to look at 265/75-16?! I have just over 2.5" of lift on my truck, and it makes a lot of difference visually, and I'll have less worry about CV's and what not...that is why I chose to go for 2-2.5" of lift over the 3". There are pics in my gallery if you want to peep them out.
He's a Prerunner, no issues with CV angles. Otherwise, Billies would be an inexpensive, but responsible, option depending on the lift you're looking for.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
Vegas H.R Robber is on a distinguished road
Vegas H.R Robber's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys! I appreciate the time you spent to respond as well as your advice.
Mike
Old 12-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Damit man
BoTacoGA is on a distinguished road

Name: Bo
BoTacoGA's Tacoma Gallery
@ Fabulous. Went though your pics an like the 2" inch lift. Just wanna make sure what I need to do to get mine to sit like that. 2.5 Eibach springs an 5100 set at .85 up front an 2" AALs in the back. Are AALs leafs? An how does the set up ride? An where can I get a grill like that?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have the 2" Toytec AAL on my non TSB springs, and the 5100's at 0.85 with the Toytec/ Eibach 1.6" lift spring, and the 1/4" toytec taco lean spacer on the drivers side. I also just added an OME carrier bearing drop and it worked excellent for the very minor vibes I was getting due to the AAL. I got 2.6" of lift up front, and just a sliver over 2" on the back. Rides excellent. One thing to keep in mind is that a V6 4X4 Double cab gets about the same lift I got... Prerunners and 4 cyl's seem to get more due to less weight up front. Also, make sure you get a really, really good alignment...not just in "spec". Tell the shop you want the caster as high as they can get, and camber as low as they can get. My first alignment was not very good, and I got some vibes from it. I had it done again twice by Toyota (after making a stink) and now I'm happy with it. 1.9/ 2.08 caster, 0.5 camber, and 0.02/ 0.03 toe. Depending on how much lift you get, you may need some new UCA's...if I was any higher I think I would need them for sure.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
Smoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoove06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
Smoove06's Tacoma Gallery
@ Fabulous: When you put on your 1/4" top plate spacer to compensate for the taco lean, did you have to use new top plate studs or can you use the OEM ones?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #8

The 1/4" plate fits on fine, no need for new studs.