Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Strange Drone in floorboard. Yes Ive read the lift vibe threads

Old 12-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Outlaw has a spectacular aura aboutOutlaw has a spectacular aura aboutOutlaw has a spectacular aura about

Outlaw's Tacoma Gallery
Strange Drone in floorboard only in cold weather. Help

I have a 2010 with 7500 miles. I have OME 884 Coils and shocks on front and Toytec AAL and Billy 5100s in the rear since the truck was almost new. I never had any vibrations. Never besides the little take off shutter. That happened when I bought the truck.
i was concerned about my alignment for awhile and bought UCAs but never installed and truck drives fine. Maybe will put them on in the spring for better caster.
Anyway living in Iowa, it gets damn cold this time of year, and almost as soon as it got cold outside, I had a drone/vibe in the floorboard that I can feel at 1,200-1,700 Rpms. any other rpms it goes away.Goes away in 4wd, not totally after you let off the gas, but once at idle it does. i became concerned and took it to the dealer today. They found nothing wrong, and couldnt feel the drone. So I went for a test ride with them to show them and I felt no drone or vibe. I contribute it all to cold weather and since the truck was parked inside all day, thats why we couldnt feel the vibe anymore.
I mean it was bad and really had me freaked out and now is just gone. Truck has been outside for about 2 hours now, so we'll see if it comes back. They had no concerns at all as it was completely normal today for them, and under close inspection of the driveline, suspension, carrier support etc, nothing is wrong.
Anybody know why cold weather would make this happen?
thanks in advance and check in tomorrow with ya for your input.gotta go
Old 12-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
phand00 is on a distinguished road

Name: Danny
phand00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
It came back today after sitting outside last night, so it is definitely cold weather related. Can anyone tell me what part of the driveline would be making this noise and why?
I don't know what part but mine do the same too. I put it in 4WD for a few kilometers when it's cold and after I switch back to 2WD and it's less noticeable. I also notice If I drove on the highway for a few miles it's less noticeable too. But it's definitively amplified by the cold weather. Maybe diff fluid is warmer and offer less resistance? If you found something, I'll be happy too! My dealer is not very helpfull. They claim it`s lift related and do not want to diagnose more!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
Outlaw has a spectacular aura aboutOutlaw has a spectacular aura aboutOutlaw has a spectacular aura about

Outlaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phand00 View Post
I don't know what part but mine do the same too. I put it in 4WD for a few kilometers when it's cold and after I switch back to 2WD and it's less noticeable. I also notice If I drove on the highway for a few miles it's less noticeable too. But it's definitively amplified by the cold weather. Maybe diff fluid is warmer and offer less resistance? If you found something, I'll be happy too! My dealer is not very helpfull. They claim it`s lift related and do not want to diagnose more!
this is the sort of response I was looking for.
Perhaps because of the fluids etc.
any more knowledgeable responses? Chris 4x4? Claim that have never had vibes from any AAL or lift that he has helped install. Any tips? suggestions?
i feel I have a different situatuion than those with 3 inch lifts though similar vibes, I have not always had it. just when temperatures are low.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:41 AM   #6
phand00 is on a distinguished road

Name: Danny
phand00's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe this thread could be what is our problem? http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...iff-now-4.html

Probably next spring I'll take a look and see if the needle roller could be the cause.