Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

new lift kit just arrived

Old 12-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
james08taco will become famous soon enoughjames08taco will become famous soon enough

james08taco's Tacoma Gallery
new lift kit just arrived

UPS just dropped this off! Just can't decide whether to set bilsteins at 0 with eibach springs to achieve 1.5" lift or set to .85 to get about 2.5". i've heard about bad vibes at .85.....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
TACOMANATOR
TRDBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TRDBandit's Tacoma Gallery
Nice

How much?
Old 12-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
james08taco will become famous soon enoughjames08taco will become famous soon enough

i got it with the black friday 10% off code from toytec...with shipping 660
Old 12-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
wolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wolfdog2314's Tacoma Gallery
What size tires will u want to run?

I have the same kit and set the 5100's to .85. I have slight take off vibes from 5-10mph. I fit 285/70/17 duratracs and just had to trim a little.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
S.S.T. is on a distinguished road
S.S.T.'s Tacoma Gallery
I just installed mine, with the front set at 0". I was wary of the vibes that might have happened at .85 so I kept it at 0 for now. Rides great, no vibes.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:34 AM   #6

yeah, thinking i'll keep it at 0. as far as tires i still have the 245's, probably go to 265...i dont want to have to trim anything off for the 285's.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I have Bilsteins at four corners set @0, with Eibach springs and 1/4" shim on driver side. Rear TSB leaf springs. Ride is great, no vibrations and alignment is spot on. I will be going with 265/75/16 tires and FJ rims after holidays. I gained 2" in front on my 4x2 DCLB after the lift. Hope this helps.
Bob
Old 12-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
28Gauge's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same setup on my PreRunner:Eibach's, 1/4" driver's side spacer, 5100's on all four corners with the front set at 0, Toytec 1.5" TSB add a leafs on my non TSB springs. The rear has not settled much at all, so I have a little rake. The only vibes that I have are right at 20 mph and they are very mild.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same thing set at 0.85, and got a bit of vibes from the AAL at 40mph... installed the OME carrier bearing and it got rid of the original factory take off vibe, and 99% of the vibes the AAL was giving me. Happy camper now Pics of mine in my gallery.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so I see a lot of these vibes at .85 isn't it just because the driveshaft is at a harder angle?

You could just get another drive shaft, SYE kit, or TC drop (TC defeats the purpose of lifting though) I came from jeeps so correct me if Im wrong.

Only reason I say this is, I hate HATE vibs.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FO on the OP
Name: Brandon
outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
i have almost the same setup i have them set at .85 with a .50 on the drivers side and .25 on pass with the tsb aal from toytec with the c/b drop and axle shims running 285 m/t's and i have zero vibes.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #12
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter500ky View Post
Ok so I see a lot of these vibes at .85 isn't it just because the driveshaft is at a harder angle?

You could just get another drive shaft, SYE kit, or TC drop (TC defeats the purpose of lifting though) I came from jeeps so correct me if Im wrong.

Only reason I say this is, I hate HATE vibs.
Lifting only the front won't change the rear drive line angle.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
i think 2 inches is the max before you start running into issues with vibes and or angles of drive shaft and cv joints. this is what arb tech told me yesterday and icon told me the same thing as well a few weeks back. i think i'm going old man emu for my lift they are saying it provides a solid 2inch lift thats all i think i will need. i'm unfamiliar with the setup you have there but i know its a good one. if you can try and set it at 2inches or just a tad higher to avoid any real vibes and or issues.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #14

thanks for all the input...still cant decide...i've been searching other threads and seems like once you go past 2" you should also get new uca's...so another $600-$700 on top of the new tires and xd revolvers i just bought, my wife is gonna have a conniption fit!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by james08taco View Post
thanks for all the input...still cant decide...i've been searching other threads and seems like once you go past 2" you should also get new uca's...so another $600-$700 on top of the new tires and xd revolvers i just bought, my wife is gonna have a conniption fit!
New UCA's for 2"+ lifts isn't really a recommendation, it's simply a common need due to alignment caster issues. There are tons of people who run 2.5" with no alignment issues.

And why not try .85" first and see what happens? If you get vibes, you can always go back to 0". You'll never know if you could have gone higher if you don't try, right?
Old 12-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #16

^yeah i agree, i think i'm gonna kick myself if i dont set it at .85
Old 12-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #17
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
New UCAs for ANY lift is a good idea if you actually plan on wheeling....for travel purposes.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #18
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
New UCAs for ANY lift is a good idea if you actually plan on wheeling....for travel purposes.
That's true, thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't really taking the offroad aspect into account, just thinking about alignment issues.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #19
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Which is fine...some people lift and never leave pavement, and 2" or less shouldn't need aftermarket UCAs. However, they do help travel, and that can help ride quality on road as well.

They have benefits...whether or not those bennies are worth the cost is a whole new ballgame...

Also re: vibes and shit: It's either going to happen or not, and there's no sense in worrying about it. Either accept that it might happen and you'll have to troubleshoot it or don't lift.

FWIW I did 3" on the money and all I had to do was shim the CB to lessen some takeoff shudder from 5 to 10 MPH. It's still there, but no worse than the takeoff shudder I already had from the TSB springs. I'm not concerned and plan to leave it be.