Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Need help choosing a suspension set up

Old 12-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
Zulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Zulu Six's Tacoma Gallery
Need help choosing a suspension set up

Hey fellas. Iím new to the forum and to the world of truck modís in general. I realize that this topic has been beaten to death, so I appreciate your patience.

What I have:
  1. An unmodded 2005 double-cab Tacoma SR5 with the 4.0L and 6 speed manual transmission. I just ordered a set of BFG TA KOís in 265/75/16 which should be arriving shortly.
  2. Roughly $1200 set aside for parts.

Where I drive:

On pavement 60% of the time. In the mountains on unimproved/unmaintaned forest service roads 35% of the time. I only hit true backcountry a couple of times a month. I usually see 2-4 ft of snow in the winter. As cool as it looks, I donít mess around with mudding and crawling. If there is a downed tree in my path, I break out the chainsaw. If there is a boulder or stream/mud deeper than 2 feet, I go around.

What I want:
  1. To beef up my suspension to improve my off-road capability (mainly handling and traction) as well as moderately increasing my load capacity. I would like to improve these things with as little lift as possible. I don't plan on running bigger tires. I don't care about how my truck looks as long as it gets me where I need to go.
  2. To do it right the first time, even if that means doing suspension now and traction stuff later. Iíd like to avoid wasting money on constantly upgrading my upgrades.

After lurking the TW forums for the last few weeks Ė BTW, the FAQ and stickies were awesome Ė Iím leaning towards starting with a set of Bilstein 5100ís front and rear. Where do I go from there? Springs? AAL? Traction bar vs. locking dif?

-Walt
Old 12-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Eibach coils with an AAL.