Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

1st Gen. VS 2nd Gen. Tacoma struts!!!

Old 12-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
'02TRD will become famous soon enough

Name: Jason
'02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen. VS 2nd Gen. Tacoma struts!!!

seen quite a few pictures of 2nd gen front struts snapped on here and got to looking at the differences between the 1st and 2nd gen front struts. Why the different design???

took these pics from another thread, but all second gen struts snapped in the questioned location. (i realize the poster of these pics claimed they all were due to running spacer lifts causing the extra stress to the strut, but i have not seen any first gen struts like this)

Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
you stole my collection lol. But yea it does look like a weak point, but quality aftermarket threaded body coilovers (besides toytec) replace this with a thicker shaft.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
'02TRD will become famous soon enough

Name: Jason
'02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
yah ive seen a lot of coil over set ups that seem to be a lot better design but the factory, billstein 5100s, skyjackers, and im sure other popular 2nd gen aftermarket struts follow the same design. i was just wondering why. seems DUMB to me, plus im bored!!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Just throwing out some thoughts here....

It might have a lot to do with the overall length of the setups & the valving involved in the shocks.

If you look at the pictures, the distance between the strut eyelet and the bottom of the coil seat on the 1st gens is shorter than the 2nd gens but the valving (fat part) of the strut looks to be the same length. Also, if you notice....the 1st gen coils have 9 windings while the 2nd gen coils only have 7. The 1st gen coils are longer which would explain why the coil seat is lower.
By the way, your bottom 3 pictures are XXXXX

Here's more pictures of 1st gen struts:
OEM

Old 02-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
other then the length.... are they the same fit top and bottom ???
Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROKITA View Post
other then the length.... are they the same fit top and bottom ???
I believe the pattern at the top is a little bit different. I measured and drew up the pattern to make top plate spacers, it was a while back but I think they were a little different
Old 02-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
I believe the pattern at the top is a little bit different. I measured and drew up the pattern to make top plate spacers, it was a while back but I think they were a little different
oh "/
Old 02-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #8

TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
i was asking cause i wanted to fit some on my truck, sense i have a 6 inch lift i figured the length wouldnt have been a big deal, but if it slightly different then bummer, well if i can get one from someone around here ill see and compare them both. thanks
Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
thekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thekernel114's Tacoma Gallery
The only reason they went with that strut on the second gen is to clear the cv axle.