LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

AAL question

Old 12-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
AAL question

is there a AAL i can get for my non TSB truck that wont really raise the rear but will increase my cargo capacity? i need to haul a ATV in the bed and i've read the non tsb trucks will hit the bumpstops with this kind of weight out back
Old 12-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
why not get an aal "progressive"
Old 12-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
why not get an aal "progressive"
hmm i'm not really sure what this is?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

you will still have some lift but as the weight bears down on it the spring rate increases or gets stiffer.....
mabye one of the pros will chime in here......
Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kessler89 View Post
is there a AAL i can get for my non TSB truck that wont really raise the rear but will increase my cargo capacity? i need to haul a ATV in the bed and i've read the non tsb trucks will hit the bumpstops with this kind of weight out back
Don't bend the tailgate with the ATV.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #6

are you talking something like a helper spring? i'm looking at them right now, hopefully someone will chime in and recomend a good pair to get

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
i'm kinda nervous about this, is there anyway to avoid doing so?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
BIG DADDY

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kessler89 View Post
are you talking something like a helper spring? i'm looking at them right now, hopefully someone will chime in and recomend a good pair to get

someone will im sure....
and yes that is the route i was talking about......
or a whole new leaf pack.....

i'm kinda nervous about this, is there anyway to avoid doing so?
Old 12-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

what? he has 06. tailgates weren't reinforced until 09 IIRC. Many has posted here about bending them puttin motorcycles and heavy stuff in the bed. One good thing about the ATV is the weight is spread out from the center of the tailgate vs. all the weight being in center loading a motorcycle. Just be aware and be careful is all I'm gettin at.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Helper springs and air-bags are good options for you.

Personally I like the airbags (don't have them on the Taco) since you can increase load cap. when you want to. Set for a Taco is about $250-300.

Helper springs do the trick but they can make the rear super ridgid under load. I put some on a Chevy 2500 a while back, once I had more than 300lbs in the bed it got really harsh (it was fine with a full bed of cement). Granted, the rear didn't sag any but the ride sucked. Make sure you get a lighter capacity on the helper spring; don't way overdue it.

Also, you could go to a leafspring/iron shop and have anything you want made for like $50: zero lift AAL for example, although just adding another leaf will raise the rear .5" too.

Helper or airbag = no lift.

Also, I've ridden quads and dirtbikes across my tailgate many times, it's still straight. Probably would taco it if you put a Harley up there tho.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #10

Thanks for the input, mabye ill just get a 600lb helper, they're only $50 as for the tailgate I think ill just cut a piece of plywood to lay across the gate/bed to help spread out the weight
Old 12-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Do NOT get a Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL. I have one and they are great for wheeling, but I had to remove my overload leaf on my TSB leafs. I don't haul anything and was wheeling all of last weekend with a full set of ATO skids in my bed and never bottomed out, but I wouldn't recommend it just due to the overload being gone now. No clue how the weight of a quad would work with them. For everything else I would recommend them besides maxing out payload or trailering.
you went wheeling with my skid in the bak well all the skids .........you crazy s.o.b.

i saw someone on here and he had his overload leaf on along witht the 3 leaf aal....and wheelers chimed in and said that it was fine to do that
Old 12-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Also, I've ridden quads and dirtbikes across my tailgate many times, it's still straight. Probably would taco it if you put a Harley up there tho.
You have an 09, betting you have the tailgate that came with proper reinforcement to begin with unlike the earlier ones from 05,06 thru 08.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #13
BIG DADDY

Quote:
You have an 09, betting you have the tailgate that came with proper reinforcement to begin with unlike the earlier ones from 05,06 thru 08.
so that means mine is strong too..
i have had 500lbs standing on it before i told my friend to get off
(2 - 250lb people)
Old 12-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
I got a good picture of all the skids and shit in my bed Ill post tonight when I get home.

Yea, but I think that would of put me over 3" lift in the rear with my TSB springs. He might not of cared how high his rear lift was or maybe he was running OE leafs....IDK.

I got rid of my tow hitch and rarely fill my bed up with rocks and concrete so I took it out becuase I didn't want any drive line issues and my front is only going to be lifted 2-3/4" when I finally get it done.
dam theft must be big down there......
thats like what 300lb + slaming around in the back
must have had to turn the radio up