LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Still have rubbing on my 06 double cab.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
sickspeed is on a distinguished road
sickspeed's Tacoma Gallery
Still have rubbing on my 06 double cab.

i swapped the front struts for some bilstein 5100s and had them set at the .85 setting since my truck doesnt have the tsb done on it. i have 265/75/16 bfgs on ATX chambers and before the strut swap i got rubbing in the front end of the front wheel well and after the swap it rubs on the rear end of the front wheel well especially when turning left.

my dilemma is do i do an add a leaf on the rear or raise the front up to the next setting? im afraid that if i just raise the front it wont really solve the issue because it may not pull the fender away from the tire enough.

to make things even more difficult, the shop that installed the struts wants to charge me the same to raise them a notch as what they did when they installed them. i wish i had a shop to do it in myself or even someone local that could help me trouble shoot it.

im trying to avoid raising the truck much more and if i do the add a leaf i may still need to raise the front up a notch anyway.

any ideas?

thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
What is the backspacing of the wheels?

Did you remove your front mud flaps?

Lots of folks run 265/75/16's on stock suspension with no issues.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
JLamb11 will become famous soon enough

Name: Jared
JLamb11's Tacoma Gallery
^265s came stock on mine
Old 12-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLamb11 View Post
^265s came stock on mine
Right, but they were 265/70/17's, which are a 31" tire. He's running 265/75/16's, which are 32" tire.

Still though, most everyone who runs 32's has no issues.

I'm thinking this could be a backspacing problem if your flaps are removed and you are still rubbing.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Right, but they were 265/70/17's, which are a 31" tire. He's running 265/75/16's, which are 32" tire.

Still though, most everyone who runs 32's has no issues.

I'm thinking this could be a backspacing problem if your flaps are removed and you are still rubbing.
+1
Old 12-09-2010, 05:35 AM   #6
the mud flaps are still on and i think the back spacing is 4.5

i know a lot of people run this set up on stock suspension, which is why im perplexed as to why im having issues but i guess it could be the mud flaps. it doesnt rub deep. but if i were to hit a bump and turn left i think it would rub even without the mud flaps on.

this isnt an odd set up either. the chambers and bfgs in the size i have are pretty common on these trucks so i was just curious what would be the best next step. i wish i had someone local who could just raise the front struts a notch without me having to pay 200 bucks.

thanks for the input.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:38 AM   #7
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Flaps are the issue. Some people have to remove them when running 32's, some don't. Hit or miss.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #8
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
265/75/16 duratracs here on stock suspension with mud flaps and zero rubbing issues on or off-road. not sure why you are having issues.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:54 AM   #9
you may be right. ill give that a shot but what about the other options i mentioned?

i ask because i kind of want to do the aal anyway but only to gain a little more load capacity and to reduce some of the chatter in the rear end when going over bumps. if i hit a bump on the highway the back end can skip side to side, which is no fun so id like to try to address that too.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:56 AM   #10
macgyver, does your truck have the tsb done? i think just having that or just

the additional leaf in the rear could prevent the issue. it could also be the tire tread. theres a bit of a "corner" at the edges of the bfgs.