Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

A reasonable lift

Old 12-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
MDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of light

Law Enforcement: MD State Fire Marshal
MDFM31's Tacoma Gallery
A reasonable lift

I'm looking around for a combination of things to get an inch or two of lift. I am trying to avoid the cv/pinion/alignment issues of the 3" systems. The best I can come up with is a toytec 1.5"AAL and bilstein 5100's at 1.75. I don't mind that the rear stays higher than the front, I do haul a fair amount of crap. Will the bilsteins at 1.75 cause problems with alignment that can't be remedied within the stock range of adjustment? Any thoughts? I DO NOT have the rear leaf TSB.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
TheHansen is on a distinguished road

TheHansen's Tacoma Gallery
I just put in billys at 1.75, and a 1.5" toytec tsb aal ( i dont have the tsb leafs), rides great on and off road, much better than stock IMO. (my springs were pretty sagged to begin with though). Installed it myself in my driveway in like 6 hours, with no power tools. the rake is very mild ... around 1.25" higher in back.

best picture i have since the install...
Old 12-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
TheHansen is on a distinguished road

TheHansen's Tacoma Gallery
no issues aligning it, sry dont have a printout, but i saw the computer at 2.2 caster both sides in front (what i asked for )

with billys u can always throw coils on later if you want to go higher too ( my plan )
Old 12-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
TacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
TacoMal's Tacoma Gallery
^^ which springs were sagging? Leaf or coil springs up front?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
MDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of light

MDFM31's Tacoma Gallery
How do the bilstein 5100's ride? I really like the ride that my sport suspension gives, although my kidneys will hurt after a while
Old 12-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFM31 View Post
How do the bilstein 5100's ride? I really like the ride that my sport suspension gives, although my kidneys will hurt after a while
They are stiffer than stock because they preload the springs.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
I like my rear Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL for about 1-1/2" of lift.

Probably harder then installing a single AAL, but it rides great on/off road and is cheap.
The 3 leaf pack is great, but the OP said he hauls stuff so that probably wouldnt be an option for him since it replaces the overload leaf.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Correct. One of these days Ill actually read what the OP says. Yea, I don't haul with them, but I did wheel the crap out of my truck with a full set of ATO skids in the bed with no issues and they are heavy.
I hauled my honda 400ex in the bed with them and I wasnt bottoming out...but if I knew I was going to be hauling stuff regularly I wouldnt go with the 3 leaf pack
Old 12-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm looking around for a combination of things to get an inch or two of lift. I am trying to avoid the cv/pinion/alignment issues of the 3" systems. The best I can come up with is a toytec 1.5"AAL and bilstein 5100's at 1.75. I don't mind that the rear stays higher than the front, I do haul a fair amount of crap. Will the bilsteins at 1.75 cause problems with alignment that can't be remedied within the stock range of adjustment? Any thoughts? I DO NOT have the rear leaf TSB.
The setup you propose will work great for the usage you propose IMO.

Eibachs with 5100s set to zero is a fine choice also, but the Eibachs have a higher spring rate and will be stiffer for the same ride height vs. stock springs with preload.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I had this set up on my '09 and I'm going to do it again with my '11. Rear TSB is not necessary but it would help if you're hauling heavy loads.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
ser240z is on a distinguished road

Name: Scott
ser240z's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry this might be kinda newb, but everyone is talking about the Bilsteins with stock springs preloaded, but don't they have an adjustable seat? Wouldn't this be the same as a coil over system, just with a stock spring?

Thanks
Scott
Old 12-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry this might be kinda newb, but everyone is talking about the Bilsteins with stock springs preloaded, but don't they have an adjustable seat? Wouldn't this be the same as a coil over system, just with a stock spring?

Thanks
Scott
The difference is in order to adjust the 5100's, you need to disassemble them, move the spring perch, and then reassemble.

With an adjustable coilover setup, you can ajust everything while it is still on the truck.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
ser240z is on a distinguished road

Name: Scott
ser240z's Tacoma Gallery
I understand how coilovers work, maybe I worded the question wrong. If the perch on a 5100 is adjustable and so is a coilover then is the coilover considered a preloaded spring also? If not then what makes the billies different that they preload the spring even if they adjust the perch the same as a coilover.

Scott
Old 12-14-2010, 05:57 AM   #14
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I understand how coilovers work, maybe I worded the question wrong. If the perch on a 5100 is adjustable and so is a coilover then is the coilover considered a preloaded spring also? If not then what makes the billies different that they preload the spring even if they adjust the perch the same as a coilover.

Scott
An adjustable coilover also preloads the springs.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #15
Poffdaddy is on a distinguished road
Poffdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, new to the site and had a couple questions re: TSB, 5100's setting, alignment and bigger tires. I am waiting on the 5100's in the mail and have an appt at dealer for the TSB on Thursday. I was planning on seeing if they would install the shocks while they are in there doing the leaf TSB and setting the front shocks at .85. Do you still recommend an alignment at that setting? Also, I'm getting 265/70/17 BFG A/T's on stock rims, does it matter if I get them before or after shocks/TSB?
09 Double Cab long bed 4x4 TRD sport with 850 miles
Old 02-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #17

MDFM31's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone heard of vibes being caused by a 5100 1.75/1.5 AAL lift? I have seen a lot of conflicting stuff about the effectiveness of the diff drop kit and I do worry about the pinion angle of the rear diff. They do have 2 degree wedges for adjusting pinion angles but you see them mostly of drag cars. I've never seen them on a truck. Are longer brake hoses necessary too? I should probably get braided ones anyway, my brakes are far from confidence inspiring.