Notices

Question on camber/caster

Old 12-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
IrishTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: SF gen mech
Name: Patrick
IrishTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Question on camber/caster

As a newbie to having a 3" (5100's) lift and still needing an alignment i was reading around and someone said to get it with your caster as high as possible and your camber as low as they can get it. Is this right? will factory specs not work on a taco with a lift? will most shops do this?
Old 12-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishTaco View Post
As a newbie to having a 3" (5100's) lift and still needing an alignment i was reading around and someone said to get it with your caster as high as possible and your camber as low as they can get it. Is this right? will factory specs not work on a taco with a lift? will most shops do this?
The alignment shop should be able to get the Camber, and Toe close to 0. The Caster will be low, but they should still try to get it as high as they can with out messing up the other two.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
With 3" of lift you will likely need new UCA's to get the caster right.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
IrishTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: SF gen mech
Name: Patrick
IrishTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
With 3" of lift you will likely need new UCA's to get the caster right.
well its really 2.5 with the aal and 5100's. heard you dont need uca's for that.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
ekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of light

ekard's Tacoma Gallery
That's been bugging me. Why 0 camber on our trucks?

I thought some negative camber up front was good for cornering (ex: I've always maxxed out my front negative camber on my Subaru).
Old 12-10-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekard View Post
That's been bugging me. Why 0 camber on our trucks?

I thought some negative camber up front was good for cornering (ex: I've always maxxed out my front negative camber on my Subaru).
It's a trade off....a more aggressive camber setting will help you corner better but wears out the inner edge of the tire quickly.

I had my camber maxed out my my subaru as well and my tires lasted 18,000 miles before the inner edge was down to the cord. (They were falkens though, terrible tire IMO)
Old 12-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
ekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of light

ekard's Tacoma Gallery
That's all? I was hoping there was a more complicated explanation for our trucks...

For what it's worth, I've never had tires wear due to camber. Toe, yes, but never camber.