Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

what fixed/helped your driveline vibes?

Old 12-10-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
what fixed/helped your driveline vibes?

like the title says, what fixed or helped your vibes. i would love to know because i am still unsure of what to do/use to fix mine. i have the typical 0-15mph vibes and am feeling some pulsating vibes 30-40mph. i know there are a few options, but what did you use that worked? or what have you tried that didn't work? i, and many others i'm sure, want to fix this. there are so many threads relating to it, but no real answers. i just don't want to buy or install the wrong thing, try to fix something that works fine, waste time/ money, etc. ultimately, a one piece drive shaft would be the best fix, but we can't all afford that. how did the carrier bearing drop work? what about shims? new u-joints? driveshaft packer kits? any combination of these? anything else that i'm missing that will work?

why exactly do we have this problem? or what is going on to make it vibrate? what other problems might we need to look out for if we are having these? are there other problems associated with this that need to be checked or fixed? are there harsh, long term effects to not fixing a vibration? is it going to harm my truck, or is it something that would be fine to overlook/get used to?

I know it's a lot of questions. but i've been reading threads for months now, trying to find good answers and discussions. but i'm done looking and asking for myself now. i have tried to talk to a few mechanics about some of this but they never know what i'm talking about. most of them work on chevys and fords all day and know very little about these trucks. so they are no help. i myself don't know a ton, just a few basics, so i need all the help i can get on here. thanks for the help.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
33's mud tires
Old 12-10-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme54 View Post
lol, i'll grab some soon then
yea with the growling of the tires and the slight shake from the balance you will never remember the driveline vibes
get some bass to that helps
Old 12-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
yea with the growling of the tires and the slight shake from the balance you will never remember the driveline vibes
get some bass to that helps
haha, that's true
Old 12-10-2010, 03:37 AM   #6
smithrw is on a distinguished road
smithrw's Tacoma Gallery
I tried most of everything talked about before and the only thing that finally fixed it was 3 degree axle shims. They totally took out the vibs I had.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
I had the take off vibe as well as a bit at 45 mph. I copped a OME CB drop from Fat Bobs garage, and my take off vibe is gone, as is 99% of the one at 45. I have a 2" AAL, and a d-cab short box, and the 3/8" drop seemed to make my drive shaft completely straight.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #9

so shims seem to have a good effect and the carrier bearing drop works for some and not others?

want to hear from others! let us know what has worked for you or hasn't worked for you! also state what the specs of your truck are! EX: double cab, short bed, 2.5'' front, 2'' rear. takeoff and 30-40mph vibes. (me)
Old 12-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Why not order the CB drop from Fat Bobs garage...it's only $10.99, and the shipping was cheap, even up to me in Canada. It's worth a try, no?
Old 12-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
Why not order the CB drop from Fat Bobs garage...it's only $10.99, and the shipping was cheap, even up to me in Canada. It's worth a try, no?
yeah, i'm thinking i will just try a carrier bearing drop and some shims. that's only like $40 before shipping. it's worth a try, and can't really hurt anything.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #13
bgbdwlf is on a distinguished road
bgbdwlf's Tacoma Gallery
i seem to be getting just the takeoff vibe so i tried the cb drop from a 1/4" to about 5/8" made it worse, got shims not much better, tried shims and cb drop even worse. so i am considering taking the shims out since it seemed to have the least amount of issues with no added extras. i have only had my lift in a little over a week but already getting pissed off and wondering if this was a good idea to lift.

i have 5100's all around, eibach springs @ .85, LR UCA's and 2" aal w/o tsb in the back. got the tires balanced today but haven't been on the highway yet, also had them check the alignment checked said it was in spec. just driving home (a couple miles) that i may have to consider a different shop for an alingment.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbdwlf View Post
i seem to be getting just the takeoff vibe so i tried the cb drop from a 1/4" to about 5/8" made it worse, got shims not much better, tried shims and cb drop even worse. so i am considering taking the shims out since it seemed to have the least amount of issues with no added extras. i have only had my lift in a little over a week but already getting pissed off and wondering if this was a good idea to lift.

i have 5100's all around, eibach springs @ .85, LR UCA's and 2" aal w/o tsb in the back. got the tires balanced today but haven't been on the highway yet, also had them check the alignment checked said it was in spec. just driving home (a couple miles) that i may have to consider a different shop for an alingment.

see, this is what makes me and everyone else unsure about what to do
Old 12-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #15

anybody know what the long term effects of these vibes are? are they going to cause something terrible to happen down the road? or would it be ok just to suck it up and get used to them?
Old 12-11-2010, 04:55 AM   #16
bgbdwlf's Tacoma Gallery
i know that beefed taco makes a cb drop that lowers it like an 1 1/2", i am just wondering is that to much. because it seems like you change the angle of one shaft for the better an the other one for the worse. i guess that would be for any cb drop you might do.

i am not sure of any long term affects but i have read a fews threads about using up the u-joints sooner. i have also read some about getting a one piece drive shaft to cure all issues. i just don't know how many more hundreds of $'s i want to spend to make it look cool.

so i guess i will keep tinkering with it untill something breaks then i know where the problem is for sure or i get lucky and and actually solve the issues. than agian plan b might include a it might drive me crazy and can't figure it out and the next explosion you here may be .

sorry for the long winded reply, to much coffee this morning.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #17

What I did was tie string to the front and back of my drive shaft, and at the CB the difference was no more then 1/2". Added the drop and checked again... Completely straight. Mine actually feels better then when I got it now?!?
Old 12-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #18
bgbdwlf's Tacoma Gallery
i will give that a try and see what happens.

do you have the degree shims in yours.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #19
bgbdwlf's Tacoma Gallery
i think i got 99% of my problem fixed, i installed my aal in the wrong way so it is confirmed one more time out of many that yes i am an idiot.

the aal's for w/o the tbs has a short and long portion from the center pin, so i got ahold of toytec to see which was the correct way to install it. well i checked this morning and of course in backwards, redid them with out shims or cb drop and man what a difference.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #20

That is great man. I think that a lot of the vibes can be reduced right off the bat by ensuring you have a really good alignment. I didn't even have to go to shims for the guy who asked... would have been my next step had the CB drop didn't help. I also think that having a long or short box makes a diff... it's like trigonometry.