Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

diff drop poll

View Poll Results: diff drop did...
helped or cured your vibrations 14 42.42%
did nothing or made it worse 19 57.58%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
diff drop poll

i wanna know if you installed a diff drop kit and if it fixed your vibration issues or did nothing
Old 12-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
It put the mounts in harm's way and resulted in a shattered oil pan and bent cross member on my truck. Recommend against it.

Oh, and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
Im gonna go full nerd...

laws of right triangle calculation doesnt lie.... even if your diff drop does drop the axle 1/8" or even 3/16" (which i dont think it does)

due to laws of a triangle where the Hypotenuse is the length of the drive shaft at the pivot points (about 16")

and the opposite being the height difference between the inside and outside of the axle ( on my 2.5" of lift this is about .5")

acoording the laws of a triangle (sin angle= opposite/ hypotenuse) the angle is = to sinx= .5/16= a drive shaft angle of 1.79 degrees

with a diff drop changing the height of the opposite side 1/8" we need to take .5- .125

this changes the opposite side to .375. so sinx= .375/16= 1.34 degrees

since the hypotenuse remains fairly constant whether the drop is 1/2" or 2"s a .125" drop in the opposite side only yields less than 1/2 of one degree...
Overlay of the angle difference with and without the drop:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Old 12-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
WTF
1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Another thread on diff drops ??? And not needed in my opinion !
Old 12-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
"Search" function has apparently been broken for a few years now.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

Yeah search brings up it helped or it didn't help, this is so I can see how many people it really did/didn't help
Old 12-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
The juice was worth the squeeze!
Blktaco16 will become famous soon enoughBlktaco16 will become famous soon enough

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Heath
Blktaco16's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't notice anything before or after the toytec diff drop, so nothing changed
Old 12-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Taco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant future
Name: j
Taco4Fish's Tacoma Gallery
i think its a waste spent $35 for something that doesnt do shit
Old 12-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #9
'02TRD will become famous soon enough

Name: Jason
'02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
^ doesn't do shit??

My diff drop kit from toytec was $20, and well worth it. Corrected CV angles in a great way. Inner CV boot fins were touching after installation of 2.5" lift. Touching fins = torn fins in a short time. The diff drop is worth saving the CV problems which may come without it. Didn't have any vibes before the lift, after the lift without the DD kit, or after installing the DD kit. If you're going 3"+ I would personally have the drivelines re-done or go another route as the DD is not going to help. Also, I have read quite a bit about the 2nd gen. DD kits not playing as much benefit as the front differential mounting brackets are different from the 1st gen.

Jason
Old 12-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #10

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by '02TRD View Post
^ doesn't do shit??

My diff drop kit from toytec was $20, and well worth it....
Totally different animal. The Gen 1 trucks do benefit from them, but the OP has a newer model. They do nothing beneficial on the 05+ trucks.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
It's alright...They know me here
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Totally different animal. The Gen 1 trucks do benefit from them, but the OP has a newer model. They do nothing beneficial on the 05+ trucks.
There is nothing in the OPs question or poll to indicate this is a 2nd gen only question. This poll is posted in a non-generation forum. If you want to exclude 1st gen feedback, that should be clearly stated up front.

You are correct in your statement the 1st gens can benefit from a diff drop. That fact sometimes gets lost when the question about effectiveness of these kits is raised.

To answer the OPs original question. Adding a 1" diff drop did eliminate post lift vibs on my truck. It also lowered the axle angles just enough so that two fins on the inner boot that were touching no longer touch.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
so here is the end of all diff drop threads....

1st gens: useful, if you have vibes try it out.

2nd gens: save your money, not worth shit.

my work here is done.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #14
KColoTaco will become famous soon enough

Name: Kevin
KColoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to KColoTaco
I think the validity of the benefits of a diff drop are completely tied to your vehicle use.

If one is building a rig to run gnarly trails with more than 60% of the time then the diff drop is counter productive. It could also cause some serious carnage if you don't protect the mounts.

For the rest of the folks that do the majority of there driving on the road the diff drop makes sense. *If your u-joints in the front drive shaft can take without vibration* Small price to pay to save the cv's/diff bearings.

Just an opinion though, I like the poll.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I put in the diff drop with my lift and I never felt any vibrations. IDK if I would've had vibes without.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #16

well i think i'm gonna give the diff drop a shot, if it sucks i'll just take it off and chalk it up as a loss since i have some vibes now, cant hurt and it's prett cheap
Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #17
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
I am quite sure I don't follow the math but, raise the truck is the same as lowering the wheels making the cv angels for extreme. lowering the diff. lessons the cv angels. Am I wrong? I have a drop kit and no problems at all. If you crush the oil pan and wreck the cross member, I am thinking it was not a result of dropping the diff. but maybe pushing it a little to hard.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #18
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
The Diff Drop is not really for fixing vibration issues. It is to take a little of the angle off of the CVs. Too much angle on the CVs can cause the fins on the boots to rub together, which can cause the boots to wear quicker. If the boot fails, it allows dirt and debris to get into the joint and cause CV joint failure.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #19

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
I am quite sure I don't follow the math but, raise the truck is the same as lowering the wheels making the cv angels for extreme. lowering the diff. lessons the cv angels. Am I wrong? I have a drop kit and no problems at all. If you crush the oil pan and wreck the cross member, I am thinking it was not a result of dropping the diff. but maybe pushing it a little to hard.
Re-check the way the differential is mounted on your truck.

Dropping the mounts in the front only pivots the differential and does not actually drop the thing. Note that in the process you're shifting differential fluid away from the pinion bearings in the rear so make sure you keep the thing topped off.

1" spacers lower the point where the axles insert by around 3/16" and changes the CV angles by 1.34 degrees.

Toyota understood the need to protect the front diff mounts, which is why you have that hunk of metal sticking down in the middle of the cross member. It's there to protect important stuff. Adding the spacers drops the mounts below the piece that's designed to protect them and puts them in harm's way.

I push my truck far harder than most, but if the results of my testing help someone else keep their truck in 1 piece, it's worth it.