LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How much camber is too much?

Old 12-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
How much camber is too much?

So after getting my truck aligned 4 times they came up with 1.9/ 2.08 caster, 0.6 camber, and 0.02/ 0.03 toe, and it drives great. The thing I'm curious about is the 0.6 camber...the tech, and the service manager said not to worry about it as 0.5 is stock. I looked at an alignment I had 9 months ago pre lift, and sure enough it was 0.45. Question is will the change from 0.45 to 0.6 (which is the lowest they could get it without losing caster) going to wear out my summer tires quicker on the outer edge when I get them on? Anybody else end up arounf 0.6 camber? How are your tires wearing?

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I dont like anything over .2* Camber myself, at the max. Closest to 0* is better.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
♥ Emergency Medicine
m0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: B.S, NREMT
m0nster986's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

And that would be too much Negative Camber....^^^^
Old 12-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
Tacoma831 has a brilliant futureTacoma831 has a brilliant futureTacoma831 has a brilliant futureTacoma831 has a brilliant futureTacoma831 has a brilliant futureTacoma831 has a brilliant futureTacoma831 has a brilliant futureTacoma831 has a brilliant futureTacoma831 has a brilliant futureTacoma831 has a brilliant futureTacoma831 has a brilliant future

Tacoma831's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nster986 View Post
Maybe they like to drive on two wheels...
Old 12-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
My driver side is set at .5 and passenger side is .2 and mine drives fine.
I think i was told .5 is what toyota recommends but if it's set at zero that'll allow a little more caster wich these trucks need imo.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My tech said that is he lowers the camber, then the caster started to suffer. I would like to have it at 0 or close to, but don't think that will happen without new UCA's. What I need to know is if the 0.6 will kill my summer tires? They will stick out farther as well as the new wheels are 9" wide with 4.5 backspacing.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
My tech said that is he lowers the camber, then the caster started to suffer. I would like to have it at 0 or close to, but don't think that will happen without new UCA's. What I need to know is if the 0.6 will kill my summer tires? They will stick out farther as well as the new wheels are 9" wide with 4.5 backspacing.
Get a tire tread gauge, and measure the out side vs. the inside tread of the tire, and monitor wear. I have checked in the past, and found that anything over .3* Camber will wear the outside of the tire faster.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #10

Sweet, will do. I sent a PM to KPT as his truck looks like mine, and sure enough he is also at 0.6 camber, and has been for 17,000 miles and he said he doesn't notice any weird wear?!
Old 12-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nster986 View Post
my truck looks just like that
but seriously how much of a difference does it make, ive talked to a few people and they said my camber is at negative .5 and thats why my truck is squirly and has alot of steering wheel shake along with a very loose steering wheel, is this true?
Old 12-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #12
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sweet, will do. I sent a PM to KPT as his truck looks like mine, and sure enough he is also at 0.6 camber, and has been for 17,000 miles and he said he doesn't notice any weird wear?!
Ain't no lie...

I'm sure closer to zero is better, but so far so good over here at 0.6.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Ain't no lie...

I'm sure closer to zero is better, but so far so good over here at 0.6.

Alot may have to do with the tire size too. Being Im running 285/60/18's, my tread width is 10.3", so that may affect the readings I got. My outside was only about 1/32" more wear than the inside when Camber was near .5*
Old 12-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #14

Wonder if the tires make a dif as well... like if they are a longer wearing one etc. I haven't bought the tires to go on my summer rims yet, but they will be Duratrac's, Nitto TG's, or Cooper Zeons in 265/70-17. So at any rate, the little bit of camber I have shouldn't destroy the tires super quick if I do 7-8000 kms a summer on them.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Alot may have to do with the tire size too. Being Im running 285/60/18's, my tread width is 10.3", so that may affect the readings I got. My outside was only about 1/32" more wear than the inside when Camber was near .5*
True enough, I'm running 265's.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #16
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarine veteran and Air Force DoD contractor.
Name: Ryan James
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
my truck looks just like that
but seriously how much of a difference does it make, ive talked to a few people and they said my camber is at negative .5 and thats why my truck is squirly and has alot of steering wheel shake along with a very loose steering wheel, is this true?
No, that is false. I have 3.5 degrees of negative camber. Handles like a dream.

Your shit shakes and has play because more than likely you don't have the steering column TSB performed on your ride.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #17
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
No, that is false. I have 3.5 degrees of negative camber. Handles like a dream.

Your shit shakes and has play because more than likely you don't have the steering column TSB performed on your ride.

Looks sweet Ryan. I ran -3.0 degrees of camber on my Subaru STi and I wore down to the cord on my tires in 18,000 miles, on the inner edge only. Sure handled great though. How are yours wearing?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #18
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarine veteran and Air Force DoD contractor.
Name: Ryan James
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Looks sweet Ryan. I ran -3.0 degrees of camber on my Subaru STi and I wore down to the cord on my tires in 18,000 miles, on the inner edge only. Sure handled great though. How are yours wearing?
Only been that way for a few months, sot much at all. My Nitto Neo Gens have a harder compound on the inner tread blocks as well.