Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Advice on Bilstein 5100's

Old 12-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
CristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant future

Name: Cristian
CristianTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Advice on Bilstein 5100's

I was wondering if anybody has ran bilstein 5100 with these coils. http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

If they are even compatibable, how has your ride been with this setup?
Old 12-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
That's a very popular kit on here.

Do a quick search for "Toytec coilovers"

Toytec sells that kit paired with 5100's, so they are definitely compatible. Just make sure you set the 5100's at zero.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
CristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant future

Ok. So would it be cheaper and better to buy the Bilsteins from DownSouthMotorSports and then get those coils separate to save some cash.? Or just buy the whole coilover set with coils and shocks.?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Reaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: P3 Flight Engineer / 737 Crew Chief
Name: Brandon
Reaper10's Tacoma Gallery
I have the toytec coil over kit with the bilstein 5100's. I installed a couple weeks ago and so far they are great. The ride is much improved over the 5100's adjusted to 2.5 with the stock coils. I'm very pleased!

Old 12-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
Since we are on the subject can someone educate me why those and billy 5100's are so much better then just the 5100's?

Thanks sorry for the noobin
Old 12-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
Taco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant future
Name: j
Taco4Fish's Tacoma Gallery
there is no difference 5100's are the same shcok. Toytec just has a collar where you can adjust it, the shock is the same thing as any other company who uses 5100's they just might have added there own feature to it
Old 12-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry let me elaborate whats the point in new springs? Like what he posted? Are thye engineered better/differently then the stock ones? Give more height or what?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Taco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant future
coilovers give you the hight the shock help control the rebound of the coils.

Instead of doing that spacer lift, many chose to replace the whole shock/coil cause you will get a better ride with new shocks. I have the toytec ULK and i just put it in, ride is very good much more absorbing than the spacer lift that was installed before.

OP just buy the toytec kit you wont regret it
Old 12-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #9

Well if cash wasn't the issue I would buy the kit. Will it be fine if I buy the 5100's and then buy the coils later.?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #10
yeah get this and you can use your stock coils till you have enough money then get new coils

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 12-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco4Fish View Post
yeah get this and you can use your stock coils till you have enough money then get new coils

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Yeah. I was gonna order them from here. http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...djustable.html
Old 12-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
How much lift you want? You could snag the 5100's from Down South Motorsports for $283 for all 4, and drop the Eibach spring to it for about 2.5" of lift at 0.85 setting on 5100's. This is what I did, and it works great.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
How much lift you want? You could snag the 5100's from Down South Motorsports for $283 for all 4, and drop the Eibach spring to it for about 2.5" of lift at 0.85 setting on 5100's. This is what I did, and it works great.
2.5". Where can I see these Eibach springs.?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
awoit will become famous soon enough

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to awoit
So if you were to buy the billys and coil overs would u also want to get another pair of shocks for the rear? I'm under the impression that the shocks are able to give u a 2.5" lift. Or is the solution to get a new leaf package?

... update i just read this on the toytec website NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE WITH SPACERS OR COILS UNLESS LOWEST (STOCK) SETTING IS USED.Does this mean if you get the coil over kit you cannot raise the truck and just getting the better ride quality? sorry not to jack the thread I'm trying to figure out how to get a 2.5" lift the best way possible
Old 12-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
No. If you get the coil spring/or coil over kit this is where you get you lift from. The shock provides no lift under any circumstance in any vehicle. The lift spring will give you a set amount of lift depending on the spring. The coil over kit you can adjust the height from 0-3" usually depending on the kit. though going the full 3" is not always recommended. If you get the 5100 shocks with the eibach springs you will have pretty much the same setup as the Ultimate Lift kit just no adjustability. At least that is my understanding. the Eibach spring will give you 1.6" of lift. this is approx depending on how the truck is equipped. The only reason the 5100 shocks give you lift in the front is because the bottom spring perch is adjustable, which preloads the spring and sacrafices ride quality. If you do the 5100 shocks set the spring perch to .85 with the eibach springs you will gernally see about 2.5 inches of lift in the front. The rear lift you can get blocks, add-a-leaf or a completely new leaf pack. Generally most people have good luck with the add a leaf.

Eibach coils-- http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 12-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #16
awoit will become famous soon enough

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to awoit
in the Bilstein Adjustable lift kit from toytec the front shocks are listed as C475 Height adjustable Bilstein front 5100 shocks..
Old 12-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by awoit View Post
So if you were to buy the billys and coil overs would u also want to get another pair of shocks for the rear? I'm under the impression that the shocks are able to give u a 2.5" lift. Or is the solution to get a new leaf package?

... update i just read this on the toytec website NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE WITH SPACERS OR COILS UNLESS LOWEST (STOCK) SETTING IS USED.Does this mean if you get the coil over kit you cannot raise the truck and just getting the better ride quality? sorry not to jack the thread I'm trying to figure out how to get a 2.5" lift the best way possible
Ok first you CAN get shocks for the rear its up to you I'd say do it asap but if $$ is an issue then do it asap.

2nd- You dont need a new leaf package to get the 2.5" lift in the rear, I reccomend you get a Add-a-Leaf "AAL" try to avoid those blocks that some offer. This is the cheaper way to go then buying a new leaf pack, the AAL will stiffen up the ride in the back and allow better hauling.

3rd- Your question about ride quality... When you get the new front shocks you will see that black tab that stick out, you can adjust how much lift you want by moving the black ring up&down. You only got three options for height with those shocks ( stock 0", 1.75", 2.5") Im guessing your gonna use the factory coils so chose which setting you want. You do not need a spacer if you get the 5100's and use your factory coils. If you have money then get new coils.

cheapest way is a spacer lift but ride will suck, i had that then got 5100's and love it now.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #18
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
b/c you can adjust the bottom spring perch. from .85 -2.5 inches. the more you adjust the bottom spring perch the more you are going to sacrifice ride quality. b/c you are preloading the spring meaning you are compressing the spring more so you are taking its "spring" qualities away by preloading it. Many go this route and are happy. it is just not my preference.

I myself will be getting 5100's set to "0" with the Eibach springs. And rear TSB springs.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #19
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTRD View Post
I was wondering if anybody has ran bilstein 5100 with these coils. http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

If they are even compatibable, how has your ride been with this setup?
The coils that come in that kit are the eibach coils.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #20
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
yes. from what I am told